Unusual shots

Tonight I was practising and left a Greek Church...from that I took 6-7-10! But then a few frames later left a 6-7-10 and couldnt even take one of them! :oops:

While bowling in a 3 game team tournament on the weekend one of the bowlers on the lanes beside us left the 1,2 and 3 pin in the first game. Not that unusual, I hear you say?? He was bowling with a plastic ball and basically a straight bowler... so possible to leave it...

But!!!!!!!!!! The thing that made it 'unusual' was .....

He left the same pins in the second game as well..... #-o

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

In practice last night, I managed to take the 1-5 out of a full rack, and leave the rest standing. This was a RH hook shot with a 15lb ball thrown at 25 kph.

How?

I had spared the washout in the previous frame, one of the pins came back on the lane in front of the sweep arm. it came to a stop on the 37 board, about 2-3 feet in front of the sweep.

Since it was only practice, I thought I'd clear it myself, and see what other pins I could take out. I just nicked the pin enough to make it roll into the head pin and tip it straight back - taking out the 5. :rofl:

BTW after nicking the pin on the lane the ball went in the LH gutter. The spare attempt left the 2-4-7.

David.

Last weekend at the SPC, in one particular frame I left the 2 pin standing after the first ball. After the spare shot the pin was still standing - in the gutter. I hit the pin just strongly enough to slide it into the gutter on the 7 pin side, but the action of falling into the gutter caused the pin to stand up again.

This would be the only time I have attempted a single pin spare, left the pin standing, but still got credited with the spare. ](*,)

David.

At Elizabeth bowl in 2002, was having a muck around practise while the juniors were qualifying for president shield.

I had a storm urethane ball, drilled negative weight. Left a 3-6-10 spare. Stood on 40 board, and did a reverse spin ball at about 10 km/h, went out to about 5 board, had a bit of side spin on the ball, it rolled back to about 35 board, then the negative weight kicked in, and took out the 6-10.

I have never seen so many shocked faces at a bowl before.

A guy in my team a few weeks back threw a ball that only took out the 3, 5, 7 and 9. And what makes it more amazing is that he is a big hook bowler, we were astounded that a big hook ball could change direction and miss so many pins.

Ok all...i have a new unbelievable shot.

Last night a guy on the other team who bowls quite quickly and straight managed to take just the 9 and 10 pin out of a full deck! The rest were left standing...i couldnt believe it was possible unless i saw it

I'm a left hander. Sometimes, when I'm practicing, i have a bit of fun and bowl 2 handed. The weird thing is that i can't bowl normal left-handed spin, but i can bowl right-handed spin. :? I had an injury for Nats, and i was bowlin' Intercentre Cup. By the end of my fourth game, my fingers were hurtin' really bad, yet i still bowled like 185 or sometin'. I told the parents and we tried everythin' to stop my fingers from hurtin', like puttin' tape on them, and sprayin' them with some weird smelling thingy, but they still hurt. I thought of the idea that i could bowl 2 handed while we waited for the reserve to come and bowl for me. So i did. Everyone kept watchin' me, and it was a little embarrassing. I finished with a great game of...103. :oops: =D> :? I was pretty pleased with the amount of support people were giving me, though. We had to ask whether it would be legal to start bowlin' 2 handed, and they said you can, but you can't change the way you spin the ball eg:-Right-handed spin to left-handed spin. I'd just like to thank everyone who helped me out, coz i appreciate it heaps.

We had to ask whether it would be legal to start bowlin' 2 handed, and they said you can, but you can't change the way you spin the ball eg:-Right-handed spin to left-handed spin.
Strangest variation of that rule I have ever heard...
If the event was handicapped, you can't change hands, or ever move to 2 hands. In a Scratch event, Do whatever you like, even change your axis rotation, left or right. I believe this is because in handicapped, your handicapped is given to you on the basis of your ability to bowl with your left or right hand, or both. As such changing hands means you don't have an accredited average for that and therefore no handicap. In Scratch it doesnt matter cos your average is irrelavant.
Can anyone clarify this rule?

Later Da Cowman!

da_cowman said:
We had to ask whether it would be legal to start bowlin' 2 handed, and they said you can, but you can't change the way you spin the ball eg:-Right-handed spin to left-handed spin.
Strangest variation of that rule I have ever heard...
If the event was handicapped, you can't change hands, or ever move to 2 hands. In a Scratch event, Do whatever you like, even change your axis rotation, left or right. I believe this is because in handicapped, your handicapped is given to you on the basis of your ability to bowl with your left or right hand, or both. As such changing hands means you don't have an accredited average for that and therefore no handicap. In Scratch it doesnt matter cos your average is irrelavant.
Can anyone clarify this rule?

Later Da Cowman!
You are half right. I myself have had to go through all these rules for my own reasons, and have been through all the rules about it in the TBA Official Rule Book (latest version). I created some controvercy up here with the same thing. Here are the relevant rules and clarifications:

RULE 122 - AVERAGE - DEFINITION OF:

"A new average must be established if the bowler finds it necessary to change his delivery from right to left-handed or vice versa. Refer to RULE 213 FOR FURTHER DETAILS ON DELIVERIES."

RULE 213 - BALL DELIVERY DEFINITION:

a) "For a delivery to be classed as Two Handed, NO HOLES drilled for gripping purposes will be USED when making the delivery. If the ball is delivered on the RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE BODY, THE RIGHT HAND WILL BE DEEMED TO BE THE PROMINENT HAND and visa versa."

b) "If any holes drilled for gripping purposes are used to make a delivery, the ball will be deemed to be delivered WITH THE RELEVANT HAND. EG. IF A BALL IS DELIVERED WITH THE FINGERS OF THE RIGHT HAND INSERTED IN HOLES DRILLED FOR GRIPPING PURPOSES, THE BALL IS DEEMED TO BE DELIVERED RIGHT HANDED and visa versa, REGARDLESS OF HOW LONG THE BALL IS HELD IN TWO HANDS DURING THE DELIVERY."

RULE 603 - DRILLING SPECIFICATIONS:

"Any hole drilled for gripping purposes will not be deemed to be a balance hole. However, when delivering a ball that has a thumb hole drilled, the player must have his/her thumb left in OR OVER the thumb hole. It may not be 180 degrees away from the thumb hole. If a bowler delivers a ball and did not have his/her thumb as defined, the ball will be deemed illegal for that delivery and pins knocked down with that delivery will not be counted."

From this it can be clearly seen that if you are bowling with your left hand - you CAN bowl "with two hands" provided that the last hand to leave the ball is the prominant hand that the bowler normally uses. This applies for both Handicapped and Scratch events. In Rowan's case - you cannot "legally" in a handicapped tournament, switch from left handed to right-handed "two handed bowling", but you are legally able to bowl "two-handed" left handed...if you catch what I mean. If the ball is bowled on the same side of your body that you normally bowl with - it IS legal. I have also asked John Coxon from TBA about this and he has agreed with me about what the rules state, so the above is true.

The most important thing to note from the rules is that you can switch to bowling with two hands in a handicapped tournament, provided the ball is bowled on the same side of the body. A new average DOES NOT NEED TO BE ESTABLISHED IN THIS CASE, only if the bowler switches from right to left handed, and visa versa. There is no such thing as a "two handed average" in the TBA Rulebook. This seems to be a common misconception in the sport, especially when you turn up to a handicapped tournament and bowl two handed. I know because people have made comments about it in my case recently.

Anyway hope this clarification helps to provide increased knowledge for the sake of the sport :)

Whilst bowling in a no-tap comp. on the weekend this girl i was bowling against left 7-5-10....twice....within the space of 5 or 6 frames, before that day i had never seen any 7-5-10's

didnt convert either.

CO$HEA

If the event was handicapped, you can't change hands, or ever move to 2 hands.

In my last league a guy broke his arm during the previous league so he bowled as a lefty, which mean he had a new average. Once it was better during the league he changed to right handed again and got another new average.

As far as i know you arent allowed to change. But i think in some circumstances people are happy to bend the rules to allow someone to bowl if they want to.

The strangest thing to happen to me was bowling a perfect strike ball (when i used to bowl straight) pins went ever where and either the 7 or 8 pin (8 i think) slid to the 2 pin postion and remaining up right. Didn't even wobble, just stopped dead.

I dont know how i was allowed to bowl 2 handed, but for some reason i was. I wasn't gettin' much hook on my ball. I'm jus glad I was allowed to bowl like that coz that was the only way i could basically bowl. I have no idea why i can bowl right-handed spin. I tried spinning it 2 handed once with left-handed spin but it felt weird Maybe it's because I'm ambidextrous(no idea how to spell it). One day I was bowlin' practicin' and gettin' a few strikes. Then i missed my mark and took out the 4-8. Really weird shot it was. :?

howdy,

my weirdest shot i think i did about 2 weeks ago, it didnt leave any pins, i was going for the tenpin and you know how u sometimes just miss it to the right and the ball runs up the side wall and gets it.......well i did that but the ball kept going ...........it took out the tenpin and also somehow jumped out the back of the machine!!!! seriously no lie!

i was very lucky it didnt crack my ball or anything.....
i couldnt live without my storm balls :lol:

Back in June a mate of mine 'lost his ball' after bowling a shot in a tournament, in that the ball wouldn't come back. There was no blockage as other balls going down that lane were coming back, but not this ball.

It took the techs a while to find the ball - on top of the pin-setter!!!. Nobody has any idea how it wound up there, but there it was. Luckily there was only one minor chip out of the ball, well away from the track.

David.

I've had my ball end up out the back of the machine twice in two years. One was at Nerang :wink: which is now closed, and the other was at Kedron. The interesting part is that both times that it happened, it was in the President's Shield roll-offs, on two consecutive years :eek:

I have had my ball come off the track before. They sent the mechanic down the back but it wasnt anywhere there, he come up to my lane, ripped the cover off the ball return and it wasnt caught up in there, so there was only one last alternative...which was start looking under the lane. It had come off just before the camera, and if the ball had come off the track, it usually can be pretty bad, coz if it rolls away, theres no coming back. Anyway lucky for me it wasnt rolling anywhere, just sitting off the side of the track, it was a little dusty, but thats bout it.

Back
Top Bottom