Two Scenarios Of A 300 Game

Graham

Staff member
From http://www.actionbowlers.com/Two-Scenarios.html - I got a chuckle out of it

SCENARIO #1:

NOVEMBER 18, 1964. A scratch bowler in Milwaukee steps onto the approach. Currently averaging 198, he is one of the best players in the city. He has the first 9. Every other bowler in the building stops and walks over to watch him bowl the 10th frame. The building is dead silent.

He picks up his Manhattan Rubber, the same ball he’s thrown for 4 years. A bead of nervous sweat runs down his neck and into the collar of his starched white bowling shirt. He’s only been in the position once before, and he desperately wants his first perfect game.

His first shot goes a little high and trips the 4. Ten in a row. The crowd roars. Should he make an adjustment? He decides to move a half-board left. The next shot goes dead flush. Eleven in a row and the crowd is really into it now, inching closer and closer to the lanes. Then the crowd swells as first shift bowlers stream out of the bar to watch the action. The people in the back are standing on chairs and benches, straining to get a good view. His teammates don’t know what to say or do, afraid of saying the wrong thing or breaking his concentration.

He steps onto the approach one more time, his knees knocking and his hands trembling. He delivers the shot – a little too fast – but the ball catches a piece of the headpin and he carries a wall shot. 300!! He leaps in the air and the crowd explodes. The proprietor calls the ABC and the local paper, which has a reporter in the building in 15 minutes. While the hero of the night is interviewed, his teammates buy him a beer and the proprietor ropes off lanes 9 and 10, making sure no one disturbs them before the ABC inspector arrives. He can’t wait for the interview to end so he can call his wife.

SCENARIO #2:

NOVEMBER 18, 1997. A scratch bowler in Dallas steps onto the approach. Currently averaging 228, he is 15th on the average list for his league. He has the first 9. No one in the league, except those bowling with him on lanes 57-58, realizes he is about to shoot 300. The bumper bowling party taking place 6 lanes to his right continues to make a ruckus.

He picks up the Quantum he bought 3 days ago. He has 7 more balls with him. A bead of sweat runs down his neck and into the collar of his "No Fear" T-shirt, not because he’s nervous, but because the air conditioner isn’t working. He’s attempting to shoot his 21st 300 game.

His first shot goes a little high and trips the 4. Ten in a row. Should he make an adjustment? He decides to move 4 boards left. The next shot misses 3 boards right but hits the dry track and goes dead flush. The young woman at the desk is now mildly interested. His teammates are joking with him, saying he should try to shoot the first 292 in ABC history.

He steps onto the approach one more time. He delivers the shot –too fast and 3 boards left of his target– but the ball slides in the puddle and rips the rack, the headpin flying across the deck and clubbing the 10. 300!! His teammates laugh and tell him he has no guts. The young lady at the desk calls the ABC and gets their answering machine. They’ll be out to check the lanes in a few weeks. She puts a group of open bowlers on lanes 57 and 58. They give the 300 shooter a dirty look, wondering why he and his buddies are still sitting in their seats.

He goes up to the league secretary to find out how he did in brackets. Expecting a big payday, he gets pissed when he finds out another bowler shot 300 the last game and tied him. His $400.00 turns out to be only $40.00. He doesn’t even want his ABC ring.

Thanks Graham. A few months ago I as going to post this very same story. I chose not to post it because .................

NOBODY That has been bowling for lessthan 10 years even cares..They think they earned all the 300 games they've bowled lately.

Come to Bendigo and put your money where your mouths are chumps..then we'll see how good you really are.

mmm, i remember reading it on bowltech quite awhile ago :)

Sad but true, it's still a bit of a mythical feat down here atleast, but it doesnt have the stigma it once did. Still, wouldnt mind a couple extra things for the wall :lol:

Melton's not far different, we've only had 3('the boss' Ray Hodge in 94, Mark Malloy in 96 and Phil MacCumber in 99) If you're throwing it bad its a 520 or so series coming up.

Dont you love those lovely wood lanes matey? :) I feel like I'm earning a 202 ave there. I hear these stories about blokes averaging 235 at houses like Boronia and Werribee, and I just gotta laugh. Melton has those lovely little inconsistencies that sort people out, but you can still score.

Wouldnt it be better to challenge league bowlers? I know higher scores generally mean higher lineage, but are those bowlers earning those scores, when theres no oil on the outside 8 boards and a soaked 9-15? Mentality needs to change when laying conditions. Then you can really earn a score and feel like you have accomplished something, and not on a ditch.

Coming in not knowing how a couple hours of open play and the Wednesday juniors have broken the shot down gives you a bit to think about every week too. I might even finally start bringing less balls so i don't have to think more than i need to either :lol:

Nothing wrong with wood lanes........another 300 in Maitland last night in the Tuesday Good Guys Singles league.......the first one for RICHARD GRZAZEK (congrats BIG BOY).

Just a point of interest......not 1 sanctioned 300 has been bowled here by a female bowler.

Levithian said:
you mean they dont wash / oil them before the night leagues?

We wash and oil about 2-3pm. Juniors go on at 4.30, then we have a small singles league, for 18-21 year olds. the doubles league Adrian and I bowl in go on at 7pm. Usually each lane has had 4 or 5 games bowled on it so they are nicely settled, but also take a little brainpower to work out where the shot is, as Adrian said.

wchester said:
NOBODY That has been bowling for lessthan 10 years even cares..They think they earned all the 300 games they've bowled lately.
Come to Bendigo and put your money where your mouths are chumps..then we'll see how good you really are.

OUCH!!!!!

Mr.Chester i have bowled a few 300's myself. Although i didnt bowl them before the years of reactive balls i tell you that 300 is extremly hard to still bowl, in any country in any tournament. ( i should know, i have bowled a couple overseas)
I think your remark about earning 300 was aimed a little under the belt.
I mean just because some of us were unable to bowl in a era pre reactive does that mean that the practice people put in....the money they spend.....to bowl a perfect game or to keep getting better, no longer means anything???

i beg to differ there. I do agree it is easier to shoot 300 now days than 20 years back, but that doesnt mean 300 is a EASY TASK.
Still got to let 12 go good with a ounce of luck as well!

But i guess the fact is a 300 wont win you the tournament, you still have a few other games to play well in......and no matter how high the scores get tournaments dont get any easier to win either......Back to Back to Back 2nds at AO is my proof :)

Jason Belmonte

You know I hate it when people say this sport is easier then it was 20 ago (Not meaning any thing Blemo), I mean hasn't ever sport become easy with the passing of time, eg:

Any of you been watching the F1 championships lately, and do you think people would be able to drive a golf ball as far with the 20 year old clubs as apposed to the new titanium ones, and could Mark Pilopfjsofow (Whatever :?) be able to serve so mean aces with the 20 year old rackets, the answer is NO!

Ever sport has gotten easier It just seems that bowling gets the sharp end of the stick, I bet people don't call Tiger Woods a cheater just because he can afford the top of the range equipment that’s guaranteed to drive the ball further then any other club...

Any one agree?

Interesting analogy...the tour has within its power to make it a more level playing field. Golf and Bowling have been improved by one thing and one thing only....skills havent changed (can you tell me that Tiger is a better golfer than Nicklaus?) The thing that has improved the scores in both games is technology. Lets look at a game that has changed little in the last 100 years...cricket. The best player ever played the game 60 years ago and no-one has gotten close to him yet. Cricket is a game relatively untouched by technology with little in the way of variables.

What would be the showpieces of golf? Masters at Augusta? British open at an open windy links course? The tour has within its power to bring everyone, especially the long drivers back to the field with thick rough, shortened dogleg fairways etc etc. Bowling to me is the same, tournament organizers have the capability to create a tough challenging condition to nullify the effect of technology, as they do with golfs showpeices. still the annoying thing is to see these pros play darts at the Guatemala open or whatever where 30 under is the winning score, and if you have shot 2 rounds of 68, dont bother showing up for the weekend.

Two examples show it to me...I think it was the Werribee cup this year (maybe late last year) where a crazy average of 240 odd won it, and the AO this year, where the condition was pretty good and we saw no massive averages. Seems a direct comparison to golf, smaller tourney big crazy averages with a field that is good but not the best. And AO with a better field with lower averages. There are discrepancies galore out there and nothing tells the technology climb better than the example at the start of this thread. Of course its all subjective, depends on where you are bowling, and what the house want to see form their bowlers.

Hi

i just want to write into this too.

Golf and bowling evolution has one main thing in common. The balls that we use.
Golf ball evolution is the reason why the players today have made the courses so short, not the clubs. 20 years ago Jack Nicklaus was driving the ball 270 yards, I think John Daly's average last year was 310. Yet they say that the golf ball is responsible for an extra 30 yards nowadays.
All the clubs that are made to help your game, are designed to do just that, straighten your shots, make the game more forgiving. You try playing with the clubs that the pros use and you will not have a hope in hell of playing good golf. That is because the design of them allows for the longest and most controled shots to come off a very very small sweet spot. it would be like trying to hit 2 board target over the course of a tournament. It just doesn't happen.
Bowling is the same, when reactives came along, no one could get the ball to the pocket, so more oil was put down to help the cause. Bowling balls have come a long way, and reactive do store a lot of power in them into the pocket, and therefore better pin carry. Try playing a plastic in a tournament. If you are good, you should still score very strongly, maybe not as good as with a reactive, but still good enough to cut.

Tennis is the same, the ball technology is incredable. They store the balls in fridges to keep the temprature low and therefore good rebound and a faster game. Racket design has come a long way in the shape of aerodynamics and wieght, but i am telling you now that Roddrick could put down a faster serve that anyone from 20 years ago. Tiger Woods could out drive anyone from 20 years ago. The reason, physical condition and the science behind the game now. 20 years ago there was no computer and video analysis like they have now. The amount that these guys learn from they way they move, to putting on the speed at the right time to get the most out of each shot is why they can do what they can.

Who can remember watching football in the 60's and even 70's and the first thing a few of the players did at the quater intervals was light up a smoke. Don't see that now.

The real problem is the fact that groups like ABC allowed these balls to exist in the first place. It is that that is killing the sport. Why don't they try and compensate by making the minimum pin wieght 3 pound 10? or even why dont centres just put oil down for the first reason, that is to protect the lane? no patterns, that would make you go back to a white dot?
People want things easy, its the way of life now. it seems league bowlers want to see high scores and average 220, but still only want to bowl 3 games a week. I feel sorry for the centres that do this, lay conditions to have everyone come back. I am glad i don't have responsability like that, i have seen angery bowlers, it ain't pretty, if it isn't the manager they are chewing out, its the lane guys, and maybe even the canteen ladies!!!!
If there was no ego in this sport, we wouldn't have this problem. People would see the challenge in the sport, not the easy way out.

Roy

It's a bunch of tripe about new gear destroying the game, it is still hard to shoot honor scores in this country, and I will continue to maintain you still have to have a degree of talent that suits the condition you are bowling on. Don’t get me wrong, new balls have made fringe bowlers better, even turned a few into national reps, but they haven’t harmed the careers of our top bowlers either. Putting a different spin on it, I think a lot of bowling centers are well behind the times in terms of technology and knowing how to use it. It's all great to have the latest multi core surfaces and sanction technology (yay for pads!), but it is another to actually know how to use them. I cannot fathom why, when investing big money into a center, the same money isn’t invested in the staff running the center.

You know, in all the years I have been bowling I've come to the conclusion, that in part, Wayne’s motto is right on the money (clarification: being put your money where your mouth is). People have always bitched and moaned about conditions being easy, and from experience, generally it's the fringe bowlers who do so. By this I mean the better than average league bowlers, but not quite national material. It has never really changed, I’ve been bowling for quite awhile and the same thing has been current through the years, people have always complained about new technology. Look at it through the line, plastics were it, rubber came into play, urethane, reactive resins, particle, it is just one big cycle with the previous generation complaining that the new technology is making the game so easy it is killing the sport (ohh don’t get me started on the whole sport thing anyway). What gets me is for some stupid reason, some people feel they have been disadvantaged. Well, frankly, it's a load of rubbish, and Im sick to death of it.

These are the facts, advancements happen, technology continues to grow, manufacturers produce new technically advanced equipment every year outdating the previous season’s equipment. That is just the way it goes, the market is demanding the goods, and manufacturers are simply meeting the current needs of our bowlers. The same is happening with lane technology, wood is gone, it's that simple, plastic based surfaces like guardian are things of the past (yay! no more fighting with carry down, god that stuff is like placing glad wrap on glass. You need to be able to absorb some of the oil too!) and synthetics are here to stay. This, quite frankly is a good thing, partially due to the lifespan of the surface and the reduction in maintenance costs (initial outlay aside). Scoring systems have progressed from manual operation to fully automatic operation with systems/software like computer score a big hit. Oil technology is a big part of the equation, companies are spending big money into developing conditioner, solvent based goods are a thing of the past, multi-structured synthetic oils are here to stay, and in the process actually making life slightly easier for the mechanic (yet producing a whole heap of new problems :p ). It's just simple progression, you are being unrealistic if you expect things to stay in the dark ages where wood lanes were the go, conditioner was still 80-90% oil, and rubber balls were tearing the place apart.

Now back to the part about Wayne, what I have found is, when bowlers have been given the opportunity to establish a league where the conditions will be tough, and where things like "FIQ" or sport ratios enforced, not a whole lot of people turn up. From experience, the same bowlers who complain about bowling on a "walled" shot, when after bowling on an "FIQ" or sports condition with a decent ratio, walk right out the door and wish never to face the same condition again. It keeps them quiet for a short period of time, but they are back a few weeks later bitching about the new condition, and wanting them to change it back. Simply, you are damned if you do, and damned if you don’t. There is a reason why proprietors don’t listen to every bowler (everybody has their little source of inside info on just how the lanes are playing mind you ;) ), and quite simply, it's because it will do your head in trying to keep everybody happy. The best you can hope for is a happy medium, something that promotes higher scoring, but isn’t so easy as to drive the local "pro" away from your center. It is my opinion, and will continue to be my opinion until someone creates an alternative idea, that high scoring conditions, "walls", "blocks" and the like have a place in bowling. Give your leagues a choice between a condition with 5 board’s room on the shot, and a sport condition where you have to nail the board every time, and they will choose the 5 board option. I see no problem with this, it keeps the general league bowler happy, he/she is throwing higher scores, his/her average is up a little this year, and it generally promotes a good feel in your center. This is what bowling needs, to get people back into centers, enjoying a game a bowling, and populating the sport.

Now, we come to the difference that isnt your average league bowler. How people come to the conclusion that an easy league shot is destroying the game when the average league bowler has no motivation to join the local, state or national circuit (and I use that term loosely), is well beyond me. If these people arent joining our national events (and which i feel they should be encouraged to), then how does it effect the national event bowlers? You know what i think it is? the local bowler who could shoot 200 is no longer king of the mountain, now he has competition who he feels hasnt got an ounce of the skill he does. Instead of looking internally and doing something to bring your game to the next level, it's easier to sit back and complain about it. What needs to happen is on a grass roots level, the higher scoring conditions have a place in any house, without getting bowlers in the door, we don’t have a chance to develop bowlers with potential (and yes, despite the conditions, it is still easy to pick someone with potential) into stars. What you establish (and some centers actually already do this) is a league or leagues where the higher average house bowlers come to bowl on conditions tougher than the average house shot. It works perfectly fine, you work into it gradually and your bowlers hardly notice a thing. Where is it written that the condition cannot be high scoring and tough at the same time? With today’s technology and the wealth of experience available to those if only they choose to accept it, it is possible to put down that exact condition. It should be layered, you have the average league, the higher league, the local tournament, and your state / national events. As a bowler, you should be able to make the decision to attend a tournament based on your level of skill. You can start to feel your way out of your local area into state events, continually progressing into tougher competition and tougher conditions. There is a point though where you have shut out the condition so much that you end up turning bowlers away, and this is a problem. I feel the problem lies, and should be addressed by our national body. A standard needs to be developed giving our bowlers a minimum service guarantee (something that any bowler can walk into any house in the country and bowl on an established condition) right throughout the country. Of course this isn’t a light task, it would need to be researched in depth so as not to disadvantage centers with lesser funds or technology. It was done once before, it has just become a neglected part of our game and as such has fallen by the way side. Simply, if the standard of service cannot be met, the center should be denied accreditation. People will scream that is far too extreme, and ill say, well it was so once before, so why can’t it be so now? But as a compromise, I think there is some merit to the idea of several standards able to be implemented. The first method put forward is a straight out, yes or no deal. A nationally recognised standard where a center is registered and approved and as such maintains a service standard fit for national or state competition, or they aren’t. Keep in mind that both are still registered centers, and both have standards set by the governing body (of course there is a difference between the two where perhaps certain condition types can be outlawed). The second however, I feel is far better and more fitting to the sport. Have a standard level of service agreement for every center in the country, this is the minimum standard you can expect every time you walk into a bowling center, anywhere. Then, for certain local (at the discretion of the TD), state or national events, kick it up a notch, and bring in slightly tougher conditions. People are continually screaming for fairness in our sport, and not a lot has been achieved to establish this.

Balls aren’t to blame, technology isnt to blame, and Im sick of people doing so, it is a total package of the sport as a whole (balls, surfaces, oils, patterns, governing, bowlers, the lot). Technology shouldn’t be shunned, it should be embraced and changes made to accommodate the advancements in order to bring the sport in line with the present, not 10-15 years ago. Saying that balls, technology and easy conditions are killing the game is an easy way out, a cop out in fact, of which many many people sit on the arses and continue to throw about. The fact is, we are killing the game. We being the general bowling collective, it's about time someone stood back and took notice, not continually throwing outdated and illogical rubbish back in the face of our bowlers.

Im going to bed, ive got bowling todo tomorrow, see you on the lanes.

ummm, i dont agree with all of that

what about the senario, and you cant deny you haven't seen it, of the 170 average bowler who decided to ball a new ball, bang all of a sudden because he can get more power to the pocket he is now a 190 average over night???

No ball i have ever bought can with a jar of skill that you liberally apply.

I know of someone who hadn't been bowling all that long, and was bitching cause they had all the right equipment, but was still only averaging 180.

For christ sake, australian reps have missed out on state teams in the past becasue of the "3 game a week" shooter, and your saying that it makes no difference?????????

yes every aspect of bowling has had an impact on the how the sport has evovled, but you still need to have a strong shot that finishes well to be able to carry, and i am sorry, but balls have been the major influence in this. I understand that ball company are just trying to make the new ball look and perform better than the last, and that is there way of making money. They aim at the average joe blow with more money than sense that thinks that this will help his game. And it is sad, but it is true, it will help his game, and he can continue to bow his 3 games a week, average 220, try out for a state team and then bitch cause he has to "practice" between each wedsnesday night. I have this gut feeling that the practice should come before the results.

i mean how would you feel if you missed out on a team, and you bowled 2 leagues, and spent 4-5 hours a week in practice, so you can further your game, to miss out on a spot in a rep team to a 3 game a weeker, and then when they go to represent, they average 160? bet you feel you could have done better.

roy

And how does he affect you? Outside of league, what impact does the league bowler who now averages 190 do to your tournament bowling? Keep in mind he is the same person still bowling 3-6 games a week with no reason to bowl any tournaments. As I said, if you were to tighten up the condition slightly for tournaments, you will find the guy with a new ball wont average as high. Carry is here to stay, you can’t do anything about that, people with very little revs can carry shots that they probably had no hope of doing so with a plastic or urethane. But there is nothing you can do about it, and there is nothing you can do to change it. Everybody benefits from it, some not as much as others, but everybody still the same.

If I missed out on a team because a 3 person a league beat me (and it has happened before), I obviously didn’t have it on the day and was beaten by a better bowler, regardless of what ball he had in his hand. It goes back to what I said before, tighten up the condition to help limit this happening. But the fact still remains, he threw higher than I did, and there is no excuse for that even if it was the ball that did it, it totally rests with me and me alone. If I cant go back away from my game and work on something that is missing to come back next year and play better (hey maybe I had the wrong gear with me, people make mistakes you know), then I don’t deserve to make the team. People need to stop making excuses and start looking at themselves. It isn’t so simple as everybody continually makes out, I'm not denying it has increased averages, but you can take the ball out of the hands of the bowler and lay a condition down to do the same thing, change the flatgutters (material and position makes a big difference), the position of the pindeck, kick backs, and you will increase carry aswell (and that’s just a few little things). Nobody ever has anything to say about other components in our game, it is always the balls and conditions that get the blame.

I disagree about the average joe spending lots of money, name someone who does, who has elevated them into a rep position. There are quite a few bowlers in the centers that go through 5 or 6 balls every few months, while not being bad bowlers, none of them outside their home center and house condition can average the same. A ball still doesn’t make all the difference, it's that simple. So the carry has increased, but if he still hits his target and it destroys the pocket, isn’t that the name of the game? But what happens when you change to a condition that doesn’t suit him? being that he hasn’t anything in his bag but aggressive gear and the same shot, doesn’t he usually suffer?

And yes, I would and have felt hard done by, but, I was beaten, it's that simple. Quite often selectors choose bowlers on scores instead of choosing them to suit the conditions and on previous merits. Look what quite often happens, but that is the system in place and you can’t do anything about it (to combat it, the rule where the selectors are able to make a choice of a bowler was brought in). It's good to see people are starting to experiment with conditions in an effort to block out some of the "bumper bowling". It is evident by the comments from bowlers, it's different bowling on a tight shot where there is an out of bounds and where I have to go back to target bowling. Different, but still good :) And let’s face it, that's what you should expect as a tournament bowler, having to use your head while out on the lanes.

carry is here to stay????
there is a lot you can do to change it
like i said in my other post Pin Wieght.
Increase minimum pin wieght. you will find any number of back row pin leaves by increasing the wieght of a pin. On the pro tour they bowl on 4 pound pins from memory, where normally you bowl on , what is it 3 pound 6 to 3 pound 8?
Seen how many times they nail the pocket to have cold 10's or 7's, and how much more power they HAVE to play to make the pins move?
It is a proven fact that the heavier a pin, the harder is it to knock down. Thus the more energy you need to knock more down.

Remember this, everything in this game over the last 25 year has changed to compensate for, wait for it, the bowling ball.

I have spoken to some mechanics who have been around a while, and they have told me about the problems they faced when urethane and reactive can in, no balls would go back and they have to change and modify their pinsetters to compensate for this, the the oil changed. You know why the oils have changed???? cause of the bowling ball. Chemists are now working hard to make oils that create a scorable lane condition and make it easier for the mechanics so they dont have to push balls back all day and night cause they have to put down more oil to compensate for, you guessed it, the bowling ball.

Damm, i think there is a common pattern in this statement.
You are right, bowlers dont need a strong shot off the hand anymore, i mean why would you when a bowling ball can do all the work for you.

Watch a Mark Roth tape from the 70's when he started throwing the cranking shot, and the effort he put into it. Now you can watch anyone throw half the speed and revs he did for better pin carry, and your saying that the ball isn't the main factor in this. Hmm, i hate to disagree, but i have.

Sure technology is here to stay, and i have acepted it, i dont like it, but you have to move on.

rychenroller said it best, that golf courses have now lenghtend tees, narrowed fairways, and created more doglegs in their sport to take out of play the long drivers, so why dont centres just stand up and put down patterns that take out reactives???
I think i know that answer, its cause of the EGO factor. if bowlers get shown how good they really are, we will have 4 turning up to tournements from now on, because they will see how much work they need to put into their own game, and well to be honest, a lot of them probably couldn't be bothered doing it.

Roy

You have been Munsoned said:
On the pro tour they bowl on 4 pound pins from memory, where normally you bowl on , what is it 3 pound 6 to 3 pound 8?

Think you will find the weights can be legal between 3lb 6oz to 3lb 10oz.

So we are agreeing with the same points, technology in the country is behind the times. Increasing pin weight isnt even a viable solution, how many centers do you know of they replace pins once they have reached the end of their shelf life? not a whole lot in this area, it usually only happens when some major modification goes through (say new surfaces?). Nothing is going to work in this country without the co-operation of staff, from what i can see, there isnt a whole lot of communication between the TBA and centers as of late. I totally agree on the ego thing too, but you have to stroke their ego's slightly to keep everything rolling along :p Taking balls out of the equation is a silly notion (not to mention a step backwards) which will create more problems down the backend than it is worth. Short of increasing units and using higher viscosity oils, the first thing you are going to find is more OOR calls. As i said before, a happy medium, we desperately need length and volume, and i think the only way this is going to happen is if someone was to provide universal guidelines for the operation of the sport. Even to the point of providing base patterns for centers to use. You need some sort of starting point to build on, and at present, it's just too much of a variable center to center. Personally, i dont think it will happen until the job a mechanic plays in a center is taken seriously.

This is what I hate seeing from a bowler.

Tournament at Melton, may have been an intercentre challenge or something for the goldpin group, cant remember exactly. Anyway, Centre X team arrives, all gung ho with over 200 averages, expecting to blow the place apart, fresh from their flawless synthetic surface and Kegelled condition. I take particular notice of one bowler, throwing lots of hook, nice speed, finding pocket 90% of time in practice...

Shot 1, 20% faster than practice balls, ball goes long and just clips headpin for a 2-8-10. Bowler looks surprised and confused.

Shot 2, similar, maybe even faster leaves a washout.

Shot 3, bowler moves right on approach, throws same target but throws it the speed he was throwing practice balls. Ball jumps and leaves a 3.

Shot 4, bowler getting frustrated. Throws it harder and straighter by about 5 boards but fudges release, hits about 16 board pretty flat and leaves a 10 with a late falling 8. Bowler turns around looking stunned.

Shot 5, bowler moves approx 15 boards left and does his Amleto Monacelli impersonation. Ball hits about 10 board and jumps like mad, barely touching left of the headpin.

Bowlers reaction..."Those shots were in the pocket at Centre X, I'm not comin back to this joint!" or words to that effect. Its so frustrating to see that from a bowler and thats what you have to deal with, bowler ego and expectation, directly from easy conditions layed at another centre. Bowler doesnt think he has to work for his score, triggering frustration, annoyance, anger and a host of other negative emotions.

Seen it time and time again.

Back
Top Bottom