TV question

Why don't YOU learn to play poker :p

Why don't YOU stop bowling 2handed :p GO BACK DAMNIT lol

But to be honest, I think that Brunswick being filmed will be a good start. Maybe you should do like a practise day filming, for when all the bowlers come in for a few games on the Friday on the pattern etc. And get peoples thoughts on the pattern, the way the lanes are playing and other bits and pieces.

It gives bowlers who are "out of the spotlight" a chance to get noticed and have their point of views expressed.

Cheers,
BJ ;)

To gain any TV spot requires one of two things. Either the $$ up front to buy air time, or the overall public interest that would enable the TV station to sell advertising time. Obviously for bowing the second is the most beneficial in terms of getting the game out there. But the question is how do you attract the sort of interest required for this to eventuate?? You need to look at other events not relating to bowing. Why has Poker become so popular ? – It’s because of the big bucks prize money ! every Joe Bloggs (Hachem) thinks they may be able to win a million bucks so off they go to their local poker hall and the rest is history.. We need to follow this with a high bucks tournament! – High bucks (and I mean high bucks ) will attract a vast array of the best OS players and with it the interest of the general public. Lots of $ at stake will always attract human interest. There are several US based mega buck tourns, but the problem I think with these it they offer prizes to every man and his dog who throw a ball – if you fluke first place you get a meagre $30K or so. We need something like $500K or more first place. Make it the richest bowling tournament in the world ! The question is how do we generate this ?

Why not start with some action from the skins tournament on the friday night before Australia Cup? Has a reputable sponsor, a field of great bowlers and lots of flare and exitement with every non-carrying ten pin possibly costing a bowler some good cash!!

Why don't YOU learn to play poker :p

If it means taking money off you, then sure. Or off any of the other knockers out there..

I think bowling has become it's own worst enemy in this country. After some of the stuff I heard said that was passed on to me late last night, I'm not sure I want to support it anymore. At least until a few of those people grow up and stop thinking they are the greatest gift ever to bowling.. especially when they aren't even 20 yet.

Goodluck with the sport, hope you can turn it around.

Why don't YOU stop bowling 2handed :p GO BACK DAMNIT lol

I actually can't anymore, I bowl like a retard one handed... and yes, I know I bowl like a retard two handed as well, but at least I can release the ball two-handed, which the same cannot be said about my one handed release. :p

But back on topic, Mr E. Tiger, I totally agree with you on people needing to grow up. There are way too many out there who can't accept someone beat them and all they do is whinge about handicap or a crap shot that gets a strike or he/she gets all the luck, carries on like a bloody idiot, etc.

Now who the hell wants to watch that on TV? Can you imagine an interview going along the lines of this: "Yeah, sure he won, but he's a lefty and it was an easy pattern for him compared to me."

Why can't people just acknowledge someone is bowling well, sure when someone bowls 700 or 270+ in league yeah it happens, but what about the people that matter, the people just starting out, who bowled a 200 avging 120, THESE are the bowlers we need to encourage, then they have incentive to take their bowling more seriously than they did before, and get their mates down as well, etc. It all snowballs from there. The more that start to bowl with a purpose to improve their game, the bigger the public interest, the bigger the media interest...

Some really great ideas in this post, it would be fantastic to see some of them come to fruition.

I think that encouraging the characters would certainly increase ratings, just look at American Chopper.

Imagine Mr B Davy in his freshly painted gold shoes doing a slide on the first day of Rauchig and holding up the tournament for an hour whilst they clean the approaches of gold paint. The cameras could be in everyone's faces whilst they are grumbling and moaning away. Rob Chinner's comments about everyone's fobiles being caught on tape and aired publicly. People riding up the ball returns and then kicking them when they don't get a strike. etc etc etc

All needs to be done in fun but would make for some interesting coverage.

Keep the ideas flowing
Des

PS: What are some of the funniest things you've seen on a lane?

The old show stopped being aired because of a lack of direction. One of the shows during the cricket actually rated a 22 which was only a couple of points short of the cricket. The bowling was successful but it was never driven past an advertisement.

We did used to have over 100,000 registered players once, also at the SPC peak it had over 13,000 centre level entries that's why Steve could afford the TV coverage.

Why can't people just acknowledge someone is bowling well, sure when someone bowls 700 or 270+ in league yeah it happens, but what about the people that matter, the people just starting out, who bowled a 200 avging 120, THESE are the bowlers we need to encourage, then they have incentive to take their bowling more seriously than they did before, and get their mates down as well, etc. It all snowballs from there. The more that start to bowl with a purpose to improve their game, the bigger the public interest, the bigger the media interest...
Bang on the money... that's what gets (and keeps) people in the centres and I for one as a 170+ average bowler would be stoked to see some of Australia's (and the World's) best bowlers on telly!! I think that we need to get (& keep) more people bowling and excited about their bowling, so the snowball effect does happen... it's all about numbers, the only reason Netball & Lawn bowls is on the ABC is because of the numbers of members at that old "grass-roots" association level!

Here is a view back to the past. Australian bowling wasn't strong by any means, but it was a hell of a lot stronger than it is now tournament wise.

It's interesting to see how people's opinions have changed!!

There was a suggestion in there for standard entry fees of $400, and $5000 for first and $1000 for 16th.. there were suggestions that we make cuts top 30 (down from 45) so that people feel like they made the "real cut" and so on.. nowdays in 2006 many are saying we should decrease the cut down from 28-30 so people feel like they've made the "real cut".. where does it end? There is endless talk about lane conditions.. back then Kegels didn't come standard with a tournament. 3:1 conditions weren't widespread. Since then, we've reduced cut numbers, made lane conditions tighter, lost a lot of AMF backing, and lost even more bowlers.

There was even a theory that bowlers who were averaging 190-200 in national tournaments at that time, would work hard and re-assess their games when lane conditions were tightened up and they averaged 170, and that they would work hard on their games and continue to compete.

The statistics would appear to tell a different story, but maybe I'm dreaming.

While we are comparing ourselves with every other bowling country in the world, we should take the time to check out the scores from the 2006 World Cup! You know international conditions are tough when the top bowler is averaging 250, and the next heap of the field is in the 220s-230's..

I don't have the answers, but time is usually the best indicator of a plan's success. So far, I'm not seeing it happen here. Maybe it is time we re-assessed. If we wait for a whole generation, there may not be any bowling left the way it's going.

Here is the link to the past.. rewind to 2001..

http://www.totalbowling.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=145&highlight=2001+australian+open

Agreed. But if they can televise lawn bowls (?!) on the ABC, surely they can do something for tenpin as well. Maybe televise the SPC and/or the aus masters on a yearly basis?

Mate, have you been down to your local bowling club lately? Aside from new ones springing up all over the place, they have become the new leisure sport. People pile into the places now, not just old people, but young guys too, they make up a ton of teams with some of the major clubs being able to run 2, 3 or sometimes 4 rinks at a time. They join to have a good time, a few drinks, a cheap meal and a bit of an unwind away from all the crap you face in the city.

Just have a look at the age of the representatives to see that youth have been seriously injected into lawn bowls. Heck, you only have to go down to one of the clubs when they are holding their championships to see the crowds they pull. Im talking thousands of people showing up to watch them bowl. They have fully established junior development squads with a tournament circuit, even a junior nationals event.

A lot of people seem to think that lawn bowls is a sport lacking in numbers played by old men in white clothing, thats so far from the case these days and they are going great guns.

I would even go so far as to say that it is in a far better situation, financially and membership wise that tenpin bowling is at present, maybe even enough to rival it 10 years ago. The big thing you can put a lot of the boom down to (aside from it being in popular culture, ie a few movies and tv series), is the money clubs generate from pokies. Its seen even small clubs grow and extend well beyond what was possible without the funding.

Its a very good circle they have going, they generate money and are given government grants to develop their club which brings in more members, which then puts more money back into the club for future developments. With good management, some of these clubs have exploded into large venues, some even have decent capacity for shows/bands etc.

No, im sorry, but lawn bowls is on tv because, finally after some pretty tough years, its in a good position.

Edit: Just to see what i was talking about, re ages.

National Teams -

Mens Squad

Scott Caundle - 34
Mark Casey - 24
Shane Globits - 29
Bill Cornehls - 45
Kelvin Kerkow - 37
Barrie Lester - 24
Nathan Rice - 27
Leif Selby - 34
Todd Simmons - 26
Wayne Turley - 34