Two handed bowling?

Boy Browny

Lord Field/Lane Masters/Legends Amature Staffer
Are there any rules about hand positions for.two handed bowlers? I recall several years ago there was debate and I thought the outcome was that the thumb didn't have to be in the ball, but the palm/ thumb had to cover the thumb hole...

Is that correct? cos I saw someone.bowling with two hands tonight, but the thumb hole was far away from the palm/ thumb.... So just curious :)

The ball doesn't need a thumb hole in it, the hole you saw was probably a balance hole to make the ball within legal standards.

The ball doesn't need a thumb hole in it, the hole you saw was probably a balance hole to make the ball within legal standards.
Hi M, it was definitely a thumb hole (with thumb slug) and had a balance hole as.well. Since found out all the new rules about drilling for 2 handed bowlers, thanks (and yes this 200+ avg bowler is breaking the rules, no-one seems to want to cal him on it though? Oh well, hope he doesn't play against me for cash or I'll call him on it....

I bowling two handed over 2 years now
The existing rule is that you can have only a Thumb or a balance hole
Having both it is illegal

True Top Gun maybe he has just started bowling 2 handed but yep he's defiantly not legal. Especially if he has a thumb slug in.

You can have both a thumb and balance hole. The updated rules were never adopted which banned bowlers from only covering a hole to deem it in use.

The rule is that you must 'use' all the gripping holes on a ball each shot. The term 'use' has been ruled as covering the hole. So providing you cover the hole, you can have a thumb hole as well as 1 balance hole.

You can't have a balance hole and a thumb hole the way I read rule 603, as per the current rule book on the TBA Australia site.
RULE 603 BALL DRILLING SPECIFICATIONS

Holes

The following limitations will govern the drilling of holes in the ball:

1. Holes or indentations for gripping purposes shall not exceed five and shall be limited to one for each finger and one for the thumb, all for the same hand. The player is not required to use all finger holes in any specific delivery, but they must be able to demonstrate, with the same hand, that each gripping hole can be simultaneously used for gripping purposes. Any thumb hole that is not used for gripping purposes during the delivery would be classified as a balance hole.

2. One hole for balance purposes not to exceed 1 ¼ inch in diameter.

further reading and this can be interpreted a couple of ways hence yep I agree with you CT as long as he covers the Thumb Hole. Funny rule eh!

I learnt something. I thought you had to use all the gripping holes each shot but that is not so. Thumb hole must be used though.

Neither, Alberto. We use TBA rules. They're the governing body for Australia.

Hmmm... Thumb hole will be regarded as a balance hole..? Any wonder two handers want to use false thumb holes. Sorry young two hander blokes who want to play around with second hand gear. The rules are stacked against you. The nail that stands out will be driven in and all that stuff...

But mechanically aiding a player's release by creating more friction through material science, using sandpaper, engineering a core that rolls away from the thumb hole fur them and/or strapping a piece of metal to their arm is OK. Right...

I'm ambivalent about the whole two handed thing, but it's shameful to see the game manipulated to enforce a culture of mediocrity.

Don't play bush lawyer on some young bloke. Just out bowl him. Encourage him to work hard and improve his spare shooting. Sagely advise him to check the rules after you play do he doesn't get in trouble at a tournament or with some rulebook bashing clown at league. (Everybody knows, and avoids one...) It's just a game of bowling and we already lose too many people.

Last edited:
Yeah, I agree, I note that in many Asian countries they helicopter bowl, sometimes with thumb only in the ball. Does that mean they are illegally bowling with two balance Holes? I guess the fact that their scores are relatively low means that they're not a threat so no need to change.the rules

My remarks weren't aimed at someone bowling for fun or practice, it was a high end bowler who was bowling for cash, and I just wanted clarification on the rules..

FYI, I believe there are some definite advantages to two handed bowling especially in some conditions, but on the same token there is nothing preventing anyone in learning to bowl two handed to take advantage of those advantages. Just like people have straight, stroke, crank shots in their repertoire, they can add two handed as well.

But, it appears you will need another set of bowling balls if you want to!

Last edited:
You don't have to use the finger holes, only the thumb hole. You must be able to demonstrate that you can use all the finger holes if asked to do so.

You can have both a thumb and balance hole. The updated rules were never adopted which banned bowlers from only covering a hole to deem it in use.

The rule is that you must 'use' all the gripping holes on a ball each shot. The term 'use' has been ruled as covering the hole. So providing you cover the hole, you can have a thumb hole as well as 1 balance hole.

Hi CT,
One of my local ball drillers told me that the rules were changed at the beginning of this year and has been drilling/ advising accordingly, but reading this I see that you are saying the rules were not changed.

Can I confirm that your quote was from latest rules? Are there minutes available to outline the conversation/ decision do you know?

Reason I am pushing this subject is because I am trying to learn how to bowl two handed and would prefer to be able to use my same ball ( with thumb and balance holes) for both my one and two handed shots - at least until I get a lot better at two handed! But the local guy told me I can't...

Put a finger tip grip in your balance hole. If anyone asks, you can put your ball holding hand inside of it. ;) *sarcasm*

I find the rule to be useless and agree with Dousty. Stay behind the line, knock the most pins over with a bowling ball, and have fun doing it.. The person with the highest number at the end, wins.

Hi CT,
One of my local ball drillers told me that the rules were changed at the beginning of this year and has been drilling/ advising accordingly, but reading this I see that you are saying the rules were not changed.

Can I confirm that your quote was from latest rules? Are there minutes available to outline the conversation/ decision do you know?

Reason I am pushing this subject is because I am trying to learn how to bowl two handed and would prefer to be able to use my same ball ( with thumb and balance holes) for both my one and two handed shots - at least until I get a lot better at two handed! But the local guy told me I can't...
The rules you are talking about were due for implementation at the start of Augusr however they were not adopted by the TBA who follow WB (formerly WTBA)rules, who haven't followed the USBC lead on the rule change.

I am open to correction but that is the last thing i heard about it.

If in doubt send TBA head office an email and seek clarification.

I tried sending them an email about it last week but I got no response. The USBC make the rules very clear I wish the TBA would do the same, it can't be that hard.

I am also waiting for response from TBA on other matters... Would be nice to at least get an acknowledged they have got your email?

Back
Top Bottom