2 handed delivery requires rules review - USBC

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
As published on www.bowlingdigital.com

The emergence and growing popularity of what is known as the "two-handed" delivery in bowling has caused the United States Bowling Congress (USBC) to consider its impact on the rules and application of the sport's specifications.

How does this style affect USBC rules related to a legal delivery? Do players violate the rules if they switch styles and throw at spares or their first deliveries in the more traditional one-handed approach? And does the style affect the application of specifications related to balance of the bowling ball and/or the allowance and use of the gripping holes? Those are just a few of the issues to be considered.

First let's look at the delivery itself. Per USBC official rules, a delivery is defined as the act of releasing the ball into the playing territory. Historically, this has been done primarily by gripping the ball with one hand, swinging the ball with one arm and simply releasing the ball onto the lane.

Today the two-handed bowler places both hands on the ball (he/she may or may not use gripping holes) and leaves them on the ball throughout the swing until the release, at which point he or she is able to impart a considerable amount of revolutions to the ball.

Reviewing video of a two-hander's mechanics reveals that each player has a dominant hand. While both hands are in contact with the ball throughout the swing for balance purposes, at the point of release, the top hand peels away, leaving the player to release the ball and impart force with one hand.

Therefore, using our definition of a delivery, each player can be classified as either right-handed or left-handed. (This is usually easily determined by which side of the body he or she swings the ball.)

Classifying each player as right- or left-handed then allows USBC to determine whether the player violates the restriction of using one hand to change styles and shoot either spares or a first ball with the one-handed style.

A right-handed player who shoots a 10-pin one-handed with his/her right hand does not violate USBC rules. However, if that same player decided to throw the spare left-handed, it would be against the rules.

As stated above, the growing popularity of the two-handed style has caused USBC to consider its impact on the equipment specifications. Issues include the definition and use of gripping holes and how to measure the balance in a ball.

USBC specifications allow for the use of up to five holes for gripping. The intent of the specification was to allow individuals who have difficulty holding a ball with fewer digits to drill extra holes and allow them to participate. Over the years, players have become creative and have tested the limits of the specification.

This has included anything from drilling a so-called extra finger hole wide of the normal span to have two grips to fingertip and conventional of two thumb holes on opposite sides of the finger holes (Mike Lastowski used such a ball to win the 1983 ABC Masters).

While a change was made several years ago to require gripping holes to be covered during a delivery, the current application would still allow a two-handed player to drill a set of finger holes for each hand on opposite sides of the ball. This allows a player to insert fingers from both hands to assist in maintaining the grip and imparting force on the ball.

USBC has modified its application of the specification to now require a player to be able to demonstrate that he/she can use all of the gripping holes with one hand at the same time. The player is not required to use all the holes in any specific delivery, but they must be able to demonstrate that each hole can reasonably be used for gripping purposes. Any hole that cannot be reasonably shown to be used with a single hand would be classified as a balance hole.

The application of the requirement will require some judgment. For example, if a player has a one-inch hole that he or she can barely reach with the tip of the little finger, it is not reasonable that the hole was drilled for gripping purposes and it would therefore be considered a balance hole.

I recently inspected a ball of a well-known driller which had a traditional fingertip grip, a side balance hole and an additional ¾-inch hole drilled about one-inch deep in the middle of the grip. When I questioned the ball, its owner advised that the extra hole was an additional gripping hole used when shooting spares. It was obvious the hole was not intended for or ever used for gripping. The new application will preclude a manipulation of the specification's intent.

As in the recent past, while not required to be used, all gripping holes must be covered throughout the approach and delivery. This means that a player not using the thumb hole must lay the ball in the palm of his/her hand such that the palm or thumb covers the thumb hole. If the player rotates the ball in manner that results in the thumb hole being fully exposed, they are in violation of USBC rules and following a warning, be subject to disqualification from the competition.

Requiring all gripping holes to be used by one hand will also simplify questions about how to measure a ball to ensure it meets USBC's static weight balance requirements.

In the past, allowing gripping holes all over the ball created confusion about how to measure to ensure they met the one ounce side and finger/thumb maximums. Centralizing the gripping holes will make it easier to identify where the ball needs to be measured to determine if it is compliant. Measuring instructions and examples can be found in the USBC Equipment Specifications and Certification section.

The natural evolution of the sport and the continued success of players such as USBC Team USA's Cassidy Schaub, Jason Belmonte of Australia, and Finn Osku Palermaa will lead to the continued growth of the two-handed style.

USBC has and will continue to determine how the changing dynamics of the sport impact the rules and specifications.

While a change was made several years ago to require gripping holes to be covered during a delivery, the current application would still allow a two-handed player to drill a set of finger holes for each hand on opposite sides of the ball. This allows a player to insert fingers from both hands to assist in maintaining the grip and imparting force on the ball.
USBC has modified its application of the specification to now require a player to be able to demonstrate that he/she can use all of the gripping holes with one hand at the same time. The player is not required to use all the holes in any specific delivery, but they must be able to demonstrate that each hole can reasonably be used for gripping purposes. Any hole that cannot be reasonably shown to be used with a single hand would be classified as a balance hole.

Using gripping holes for both hands to deliver a ball? I'd like to see that. I can bowl two handed with the thumb in, but I can't really imagine why you'd want to grip the ball with two lots of fingers in the ball from both hands.. kinda defeats the purpose!

As for the rule with having holes covered, why not make just a simple rule adjustment to "the dominant hand must cover all holes deemed as gripping holes". I think that then pretty much solves the problem.

Half the problem is that so many people don't know the existing rules anyway. Last year I went interstate for a tournament and the tournament director tried to tell me that I was bowling illegally because I had a thumbhole drilled and they could partially see it when I was delivering the ball (it came to the edge of my palm, and was about 90% covered). Nowhere do the rules state that it must be fully covered, all they state is that the palm or thumb must be "in or over the thumbhole". The palm was over the thumbhole, end of story. You could see as much of the thumbslug on my ball as you could on a one handed player with the slug around the inserted thumb. 99% of the time I wonder if these people even know the reason why this rule exists - this person clearly didn't, because I had to explain it to them in the middle of a tournament in which I was playing! It only exists so that a two handed player can't flip the ball 180 degrees and gain an unfair advantage by the extra options it gives you.

It's not rocket science.. or rocket surgery.. or brain science..

Does it really matter how you bowl as long as you bowl this way everyday and for every shot.. Has anyone tried to bowl luikew that????
well i have and its not that easy to it that way, it hurts my shoulders and back when i do so it must take awhile to train your back and shoulder muscles do that type of deliverey.;) :D

Using gripping holes for both hands to deliver a ball? I'd like to see that. I can bowl two handed with the thumb in, but I can't really imagine why you'd want to grip the ball with two lots of fingers in the ball from both hands.. kinda defeats the purpose

maybe if you have your left hand on top of the ball with gripping holes and the right hand underneath with gripping holes
you would pull to the left on top at the same time as pulling to the right underneath
thus giving you more rotation with a little less effort

daniel d

maybe if you have your left hand on top of the ball with gripping holes and the right hand underneath with gripping holes
you would pull to the left on top at the same time as pulling to the right underneath
thus giving you more rotation with a little less effort
daniel d

You couldn't, because if you think about it, the bottom hand (in my case the right hand), which imparts the rotation, pulls the fingers up the back and side of the ball. If you were to try and do the same with the top (left) hand in the ball, you'd be trying to impart rotation by pushing the left hand over the top of the ball as you threw it - it's physically impossible. You'd end up lofting it onto the lane with no revs, if you managed to get it on the lane at all.

The only use the second lot of fingerholes would serve is to help hang onto the ball through the delivery stride - you could never use it in the actual delivery, the fingers would have to come out before any rotation occurs.

I am a one handed, righty, no thumb bowler, but I read this with interest.
I am now moving to bowling balls with no thumb drilled because the TBA specs on drilling have recently changed.
Easy Tiger, you are correct that an unused thumb hole could at one time be covered with palm or thumb, but this is no longer strictly true:
TBA Rules 6.9, Rule 603
Any hole drilled for gripping purposes will not be deemed to be a balance hole. However, when delivering a ball that has a thumb hole drilled, the player must have his/her thumb in or over the thumb hole. It may not be 180 degrees away from the thumb hole. If a bowler delivers a ball and did not have his/her thumb as defined, the ball will be deemed illegal for that delivery and pins knocked down with that delivery will not be counted.
My interpretation is that the unused thumb hole needs to be partly or fully covered by the thumb, not the palm. For me that requires a thumb hole significantly left of the middle finger.
.......0 i 0
Not the best diagram but hopefully you get the idea.
A ball with no thumb hole is measured with CG at the bridge and is subject to a max of 1 ounce side, finger and thumbweights, pos or neg, but this is no problem because our extra revs mean the small imbalances are of little real benefit.
My back is too inflexible to bowl two handed (or is that really that my gut would get in the way, lol) and my thumb is too stuffed to bowl thumb in, so you make the best of the compromises you have to make. Bowling no thumb, one handed requires big hands, good balance and lots of power.
Just my thoughts on this thread.
Sumo

[My interpretation is that the unused thumb hole needs to be partly or fully covered by the thumb, not the palm. For me that requires a thumb hole significantly left of the middle finger.
.......0 i 0
You may be right in the interpretation ....but where does the thumb begin? From a medical view, the thumb begins at the wrist so the 'meaty' part of the palm is actually part of the thumb.
Dinesh

Easy Tiger, you are correct that an unused thumb hole could at one time be covered with palm or thumb, but this is no longer strictly true:
TBA Rules 6.9, Rule 603
Any hole drilled for gripping purposes will not be deemed to be a balance hole. However, when delivering a ball that has a thumb hole drilled, the player must have his/her thumb in or over the thumb hole. It may not be 180 degrees away from the thumb hole. If a bowler delivers a ball and did not have his/her thumb as defined, the ball will be deemed illegal for that delivery and pins knocked down with that delivery will not be counted.
My interpretation is that the unused thumb hole needs to be partly or fully covered by the thumb, not the palm. For me that requires a thumb hole significantly left of the middle finger.
.......0 i 0
Sumo

That's impossible too unless you got a really funky roll on the ball, because if you drilled the thumb there, it would be on your track, and the ball would roll over the hole.

Again, we have to go back to the whole reason this rule exists - it's so you can't flip the ball 180 degrees and get a completely different reaction, and use extra holes for unfair advantage. Whether your palm or thumb is the thing covering the hole is irrelevant.

Back
Top Bottom