Tournament ideas needed

Rikki

you talk, ill bowl!!!
I have a potential sponsor for a bowling tournament with about $2000 to throw in the ring. Im pretty sure with this company on board I will be able to drum up a few more sponsors.

It also looks like i will be able to get channel nine to give us some coverage.

He wants to revolutionise bowling the way one day cricket did in the 70's and 80's. High pressure high stakes.

I have a few ideas, I have asked a few people but it seems everyone on this site loves bowling. I’m sure some of you have great ideas that may become a reality.

Please send me you thoughts or ideas.

Rikki, great news. Check with TBAQ as they have had an idea put to them relating to the 50 years of tenpin in Queensland as of August. Maybe it could be incorporated with that...just an idea and maybe a possibility of setting up a pair of lanes outdoors and grab hold of the big boys and bring them to town!!!

Have a look at Page 6 of this forum, dated 2-2-2010, started by George, titled " Is this the Japanese version of the Tenpin Bowling Show ?"-- Not so much ( necessarily ), the tournament format, BUT the presentation.

I always thought a tournament as per below might work.

64 places. Qualifying over 3 games as often as you like in a given period. Say $20 a go to include linage. (possible $5 to prize fund)
Once quantifying has finished 1 plays 64 and so on, 1 game knock out formula. You just keep going till you get to 2 bowlers.
Cost $20 per round to stay in. Not sure of prize fund but would be a great one day event. Would love to try it on a smaller scale say top 24.

I dont have any ideas off the top of my head at the moment, but Id definately be keen on bowling the tournament if it gets off the ground.

How about a "Split Converter" tournament. Have 10 split combinations set up over 10 lanes. One bowl on each lane. Score 1 point per pin or if converted a strike is recorded.

How about a "Split Converter" tournament. Have 10 split combinations set up over 10 lanes. One bowl on each lane. Score 1 point per pin or if converted a strike is recorded.

Like they have on Wii? I like that idea

I was thinking about sports pattern on one lane, house pattern on the other. Making the lefty's bowl together so they don't get any advantage then do a knockout based off two games 4 to a lane bottom 2 drop out.

Have a look at Page 6 of this forum, dated 2-2-2010, started by George, titled " Is this the Japanese version of the Tenpin Bowling Show ?"-- Not so much ( necessarily ), the tournament format, BUT the presentation.

as some stage soon when we both have time I'll have a chat with George

Would this tournament be in QLD only, or other states as well? Maybe a state Vs state type tournament might be entertaining...

I was thinking about sports pattern on one lane, house pattern on the other. Making the lefty's bowl together so they don't get any advantage then do a knockout based off two games 4 to a lane bottom 2 drop out.

That's a good ( great)?, idea,but only for the people who know something about competitive bowling.
To get T/V interest or coverage, it first needs to be entertaining for general viewers --- then, over time, you sneak more and more serious competitiveness into it, hopefully to tempt people to try it for themselves.
In the Ad Breaks, Bowling Centres could advertise,giving them custom and the T/V channel advertising revenue. This would work particularly well in regional centres where T/V advertising rates are usually very reasonable.

Would this tournament be in QLD only, or other states as well? Maybe a state Vs state type tournament might be entertaining...

As im in Brisbane it will be held up here but open to all bowlers. I guess in reality starting small and building up is going to be the way to go. If what ever format i go with works I would hope other states or centres may want to try it for themselves. State V State is a good twist. Not sure George will have any bets on it though.

That's a good ( great)?, idea,but only for the people who know something about competitive bowling.
To get T/V interest or coverage, it first needs to be entertaining for general viewers --- then, over time, you sneak more and more serious competitiveness into it, hopefully to tempt people to try it for themselves.
In the Ad Breaks, Bowling Centres could advertise,giving them custom and the T/V channel advertising revenue. This would work particularly well in regional centres where T/V advertising rates are usually very reasonable.

I have plans for some great lucky door prizes for spectators as i really want big crowds and lots of noise. (hopefully get WOW or Harvey Norman onboard)

if you want to grab public attention it needs to be easy to follow - straight knockout (after simple cut to 64) as suggested above is ideal, as is eliminator suggested later.

maybe use the split convertor mini-eliminator as an "ad break" repercharge tournament for those knocked out in the first round.

this is my idea (copied from other formats)

8 games qualifying (4 game blocks) multiple attempts allowed. best 2 blocks.
cut to 50% of the field then bowl head to head best of 3 games single elimination.
until 2 are left then bowl best of 5 games

Back
Top Bottom