Tournament Idea's

After all the conversation about the Super 6 formats lately and all the ideas being thrown around lately I thought i would just chuck in a few, obviously there not perfect nor am I saying there better than anyone elses just some ideas to be criticized by the bowling public.

Top 16 make matchplay – all prize money from entries exceeding the prize fund forumla goes towards qualifying payouts.

So say the prize fund is based on 60 entrant but they get 80, the prize money from those 20 extra entries goes towards a qualifying prize fund. This prize money could then be distributed to say the top 3-5 qualifiers, possibly the whole 16, or maybe the qualifying prize fund could go to those below the cut, but then this goes against my whole idea of rewarding the top qualifiers.

OK, so here we have 16 bowlers who have made the cut, yet the top 3 are 200 pins ahead of the rest of the field and most below lose hope and try to make a few extra bucks from the minor placings in match play. Going from Frawls comments earlier, 15 games match play is plenty enough to decide the best bowler, pinfall does not need to be carried over from qualifying. So we could completely drop pinfall and the higher you qualify would still be rewarded from the money you earn in qualifying. But this still makes for an exciting matchplay as anyone could win from the go, and rewards consistent bowling, someone could go out and average 235 in qualifying then cruise to the win on a 215 matchplay average with the bonus pins they win. Which also brings up another idea, how can you reward a bowler with TWENTY pins for a win, that’s just absolutely huge and brings in the whole aspect of getting lucky on the day and winning more games even though you may not have bowled better than some others in matchplay. Just look at it like this if you won all your games that’s an extra 300 pins!!!

That paragraph contained a lot of information so here it is in points:
•Pinfall does NOT carry over
•Anyone can win from the get go in matchplay
•Rewards the consistent bowler who can perform on both days
•Lower the amount of bonus pins you get for a win, 10 for a win 5 for a draw

No obviously in no way is this perfect, just a few things I thought about by myself as well as discussing it with other bowlers. I don’t think we could have a perfect tournament but it seems most people want to see a change on the Australian circuit.’

So please do criticize this for all its worth :)

Yeah, your right Macca. I reckon that pinfall should not carry over into the matchplay final coz it could be unfair to the other bowlers.
Cya! :p

I wouldn't say its necessarily unfair Rowan, just that 15 games is plenty enough to decide the best bowler, no need for 25+

pinfall is kept to reward the top qualifier from the bottom qualifier

so how are you going to reward the top qualifier espeially if they are 200 pins up

and say the top qualifier loses the touranment by 20 pins but in qualifying he was ahead by say 30 from the winner....... fair??

I think not

Well then obviously the winner performed mroe consitently then the top qualifier?

Like i said its not perfect there just ideas

Mankind_280 Top qualifiers are rewarder with the Qualifying payouts. Read the original post again. Pinfall dropping gives everyone a chance again. Makes for a more exciting final. I've been on both ends of it, with qualifying 15th for JSC last yr to finish 2nd. Then to top qualify at Warrawong Invitational by 190 pins over 10 games to finish 5th the next day.
Pinfall dropping I believe is the best way. Finals are finals. No qualifying business anymore. Perform when the pressure is on, not when you have a 100 buffer already. Matchplay points should be no more then 20 pins. We want the best bowler, not the luckiest. Theres no perfect way.
But ideas need to be generated and then given to the people that can make a difference.

Later Da Cowman!

I re read the post and do agree if the top qualifyer/s are rewarded it is fairer to drop pinfall

The only problem with the suggestion is that who decides how many bowlers consist of the normal field and how many are extra entries.

A better suggestion is to set a prizefund for the matchplay participants with pinfall being dropped and also say have a top 3 or more prizefund for the qualifying to encourage people to finish higher in qualifying. It could be based on a percentage of the entries recieved for the tournament.

This suggestion is in line with the allocation of rankings points based on how many total entries are received for the event (i.e. 85 + etc.)

"The only problem with the suggestion is that who decides how many bowlers consist of the normal field and how many are extra entries."

Every tournaments prize fund is based on a certain number of entries...every entry over that specific number would be an "extra"...

The prizefund from the "extra" entries goes to the qualifying prizefund.
Macca

Hi all,

Qualifying is just that... qualifying.

So you earn enough pinfall to qualify, once you have qualified, you then are in the finals. Clean slate. The finals are are seperate tournament within the tournament.

Its the only way to go.

Daz

And a simple way of making the payouts fair is to split the prizes from 1-16 (or however many there are in the final) in half, pay half on qualifying position and half on position in matchplay.

So out of a $3K prize for first place, $1500 would go to the winner of qualifying, and $1500 would go to the matchplay champion. 16th (last place in the matchplay) would still get more than 17th, because the prizes for 16th in qualifying and 16th in matchplay would add up to more than 17th in qualifying.

Ranking points would be decided by either considering the qualifying and matchplay as separate events, or on overall pinfall (including bonus pins)

Just my thoughts.

David.

Beanie said:
So out of a $3K prize for first place, $1500 would go to the winner of qualifying, and $1500 would go to the matchplay champion. 16th (last place in the matchplay) would still get more than 17th, because the prizes for 16th in qualifying and 16th in matchplay would add up to more than 17th in qualifying.

That sounds like an extremely good idea to me! Rewards good bowling on both days. Pinfall must be dropped if they are to have 15 games matchplay.
It would be see to hear from Frawls, Belmo, George or anyone else who as travelled over the world to see what formats they have over there.

Later Da Cowman!

Another option is to weight the prizemoney between qualifying and finals depending on the no. of games bowled.

e.g. NSW Open would weight the money 60/40 in favour of the matchplay (15 games, 10 in qualifying), whereas the SPC & MTC (15 games, 16 in qualifying) would split 50/50.

But splitting the prizemoney between the qualifying and the matchplay definitely offers a huge incentive to bowl as well as possible in qualifying, yet dropping pinfall gives everybody a chance in the Matchplay.

I too would be interested in the feedback on this from the top bowlers.

David.

Tournament bowling in Australia is stuck in the 80's and the formats need to change. Like I have said a thousand times before, the rest of the world plays on the 'Multiple Re-entry / Knockout' format, why is Australia the only country in the world who doesn't? Bowling centre proprietors need to bite the bullet and run multiple re-entry events here with a 'knock out finals'.

It boosts numbers, boosts prizefunds, you can't go wrong..........

The PBA has changed
The EBF has changed
The ABF has changed

why can't we?

The tournament committee I started at the start of the year will be submitting a report to TBA soon. This is one of the topics in the report. No guesses what everyone went for..............

George your wishes might well be granted next year. I understand
Peter Coburn is putting together a tournament based on the re-entry
style, of some tournaments overseas. I like the re-entry concept
and i think we should have a variety of formats in Australia..it not
only adds variety to the tournament scene but should also help
to make us tougher and better and more adaptable players.

Beanie.....The idea of splitting the pay out based on qualifying
and then matchplay position is very interesting. Its certainly an
idea from left field, but i really like it. Might be worth trying
that as well at a tournament.

Trotts

Back
Top Bottom