Total Selection - is it the answer?

Carl's point re commitment to the task of being a selector to me is a very valid point - many comments have been made on this forum re commitment from the bowlers - where on earth are you going to find an independant person/persons who will swan around ALL the major, minor and team tournaments checking on behaviour, ability under pressure etc. etc.and be TOTALLY unbiased with no interest in 'trade offs' ..... resumes are virtually useless as the centres in which you bowl your leagues and the majority of tournaments can be totally manipulated to make you look good and your interstate performances can be blamed on TBA patterns etc....

There are no answers to suit everyone - the numbers have been sadly declining for many years so maybe with the current change in Qld., a new 'core' of committed bowlers may emerge, a new enthusiasm generated to involve more bowlers and THEN positive discussions based on current experience could be put in place....with more 'elite and experienced' bowlers then participating, maybe selection or part thereof could be a viable option.

Full selection or part selection i think is the way to go, 7 past the post isn’t the best way.

Give you what i think is a Valid Reason.

Mickey Z would love to try and roll off for the South Qld Rachuig Team.
Now we all know there aren’t any guarantees in any sport on selection but it’s about giving him an equal opportunity as everyone else has the entitlement to.

He can’t roll off this year as there is no Exemptions this year what so ever. Now Mickey is in Perth REPRESENTING AUSTRALIA YOUTH TEAM I might add.

Now our Roll offs are on at the same time he is in Perth. I know it’s no ones fault that we have clashes a lot on our bowling calendars, but here is someone that isn’t given the same opportunity to have a chance to representing his state .If we had Nomination and part/full selection he would have the same opportunity as anyone else. Why should he be punished for representing his country?

I understand no exemptions if you are bowling for yourself but for your country?:confused:

Does anyone know if Mickey Z has asked for an exemption?

There are two dates for the roll off this year ... can he make one of them?

was just on the phone to andrew an there is nothing that can be done an i will be missing out on giving it a go...to bad about not having the selection process thats for sure..but thems the breaks.. have fun boys

mickey said:
was just on the phone to andrew an there is nothing that can be done an i will be missing out on giving it a go...to bad about not having the selection process thats for sure..but thems the breaks.. have fun boys

Well thats a bit ****ED!!!!

in a perfect world selection would be the best option but this isnt a perfect world and people will always be biest so nope 5-2 they way it is, is the best

I was a selector for the NSW Rachuig team in 1990. I suggested some selected and some roll off, probably 3 selected and 4 from a roll off. From memory I think it went that way. I'll be glad put my hand up to be selector Mary, if Carl nominates.

The next two years I nominated to play and NSW won both times, it was 18 years apart in Rachuig appearances because I could not get selected and lost interest.

twenban said:
I was a selector for the NSW Rachuig team in 1990. I suggested some selected and some roll off, probably 3 selected and 4 from a roll off. From memory I think it went that way. I'll be glad put my hand up to be selector Mary, if Carl nominates.
The next two years I nominated to play and NSW won both times, it was 18 years apart in Rachuig appearances because I could not get selected and lost interest.

I'd like to think you might put your resume in for possible selection, Terry.

A small clarification on exemptions.
My understanding of exemptions is that they only apply where a 5 + 2 format has been declared. At present TBA gives the States only 2 options, 5 + 2 or 7 past the post.
The only way we could grant Michael Zentfeld an exemption would be to change the format to 5 + 2.
If we did this an additional set of TBA rules would also apply.
The additional rules state that we must put into place a set of selection criteria which should be known in advance by all people taking part in the roll-off.
In addition to that TBA states that we would have to find acceptable selectors and also publish their names so that everyone is aware of their identity.
With just over a week to go, this could prove a little difficult, especially as we have at least one of our Board members overseas on business for a week.

Andrew,

Is Michael applying for a full exemption or is he just unavailable for one of the roll off dates ...

I know that only bowling 1 day or a two day roll off brings complications in itself, but I'm just wondering.

Andrew, can we get the ball rolling for the 5+2 formatt, or does there have to be votes on changing the formatt.

These days the format is left to the Board to determine, however if they consider there is sufficient demand they will make the changes.
And any moves to change it should be started early as a set of criteria would have to be written and discussed and selectors appointed.

TBA rules and regulations may have changed, but I remember back in 2000 (mite have been 2001) where Tassie had a similar situation. Matt Riley was representing Australia and only available for 1 weekend of a 2 weekend rolloff (eg: 2 days out of 4). Tassie has always been (or at least for as long as I can remember - 10+ yrs) first 7 passed the post.

I presume it was our 'board' or committee who ruled that Matt would be exempt from the first weekend. He bowled the second weekend and simply had to average higher than that of the seventh spot. Essentailly meaning in was first 6 plus Matty (presuming his average for his completed games was higher than whoever finished 7th on total pinfall). Everyone rolling off was aware of the situation and was fine about it given the fact that Matt was actually representing Aust.

As I say sules etc may have changed that do not allow this now.......???

there is no right answer to this. i think there is a place for part or complete selections as long as there is a good selection board in place.

heres an idea from left field, have a rolloff to get a squad. now the squad have a secret ballot where they list what they believe to be the best team of 7 giving the top vote of 7 down to a vote of 1. the squad rolls off with the top bowlers past the post make the team then the ballot is counted to find the selections to make the balance of the team. this would work for a 5-2 or 4-3 selection process.
now if you want to do a complete team selection then you could have a rolloff/tournament with standard cash prizes. this would help to get people involved as well due to the chance to win some money. then get the top 16 (for example) to do the votes on the top 7.

no matter what process is used there will alway be knockers. the best thing to do is just make sure its clear and up front for everyone to see.

it'll never work as long as bowling is an amateur sport and there are personal relationships involved within the teams.

it's bad enough when they can select 2 people, could you imagine them having the power to pick all 7?

it wont work! and i'll gladly eat my hat if it ever did consistantly work.

patrick i understand where you are coming from, but just for a thought, could you imagine a team of 7 players who rolled off with maybe one or 2 making it because a strong competitor couldnt make the event due to possibly bowling somewhere else, such as representing the country.

i am not for total selection myself but i do believe a certain amount of selection creates options and choices, to improve or better the team (s).

Back
Top Bottom