Total Selection - is it the answer?

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
It is being forecast that TBA will shortly officially announce the option of Total Selection for State Teams. If and when this option is handed down to the States will it be the best way to select a team?
I can see a lot of points both for and against. Queensland bowlers are always passionate about State selection methods, it would be good to see some views coming from the other States as well.

In my opinion no, but I am just one opinion. There are many other bowlers out there with much more experience than me to comment on the subject. But from how I see it, no. Top 5 plus 2 selection, or even top 4 plus 3 selection I believe would be a better way to go. That way everyone gets a chance both ways. With total selection there will almost always be some form of controvercy.

In 2002 I qualified 7th for president shield.... I loved it

I believed in that format then because we qualified at the centre where the event was held....

If you can qualify for the event where it will be held then yes... 7 pasdt the post is great... if not then 5 and 2 is better

No way it will be subject to your my mate i'll look after u but don't forget me;)
Or say your one of the best bowler's in State but not liked by the right people and u miss out!

Selection for National Team yes but give every one a go at State Level, will be a very bitter pill to swollow for so many bowler's if it's selection only!

Gary...............................................:cool:

I thought that's how it was done now.... it seems that way anyhoo....

I like the idea of straight selection many other team sports have it and it seems to work for them (obviously where egos are involved there will always be disuptes). The only problem we face is that alot of the people who run the state associations are also attempting to make the state teams and obviously can't select themselves. People may have suggestions to get around this?
There must be some level of selection so you can take into account not only pinfall performance but also team dynamics not to mention short term injuries etc at the time of roll offs. Maybe roll 3 select 4 would be a good compromise. Another option would be a roll off to form a squad and then select the entire team from that squad.

Anyway just my thoughts

I don't agree with total selection - both my husband and I would have missed out on the great experience of being members of WDV teams.

The same people would bowl against each other year in year out (though it would be good for these people to be able to catch up on a regular basis) but you wouldn't get any new people having a go and enjoying the same experience; and then what would happen when these regular state bowlers stopped participating?

I don't know the best way to select a team, but I believe that everyone should be given a chance to try to make their state teams.

Jojo I think the total selection option would be aimed at scratch teams. There seems no point in selecting a De Veer team if it is a restricted event run on a hcp basis. I imagine there will always be a roll-off for De veer.

Yes i think so too ur ok ;)
Dont forget WDV is now not a State Team any more...........Sad
Hi u two Happy New Year.

Gary...............................:cool:

Andrew S. said:
It is being forecast that TBA will shortly officially announce the option of Total Selection for State Teams.

Hopefully this is JUST AN OPTION and not a rule. I really don't think an all selection method is fair to those bowlers who are either just coming into their own, or even worse, the bowlers who for one reason or another aren't very popular (re Frilingos etc) with the selectors.

I just like to make a point that if it was straight selection you would be getting the same people bowl each year or if they did a mister meaner they wouldn't get selected again. Also you would not get any new people trying out as there would be no roll offs and if people are not known to the state selectors how are they going to be chosen.

I think what would be a good idea, if they are to go total selection, is if the state association tried to get a circuit going like they have for the youth (in SA that is) and then you select your best bowlers on performance over the past 12 months. You would then get the best bowlers bowling for the state and not just those who perform on the one or two weekends when trials are on.

Total selection would get my vote. Frillingos no matter if hes not well liked, he walks into any team in my opinion.

wchester said:
Hopefully this is JUST AN OPTION and not a rule. I really don't think an all selection method is fair to those bowlers who are either just coming into their own, or even worse, the bowlers who for one reason or another aren't very popular (re Frilingos etc) with the selectors.

Frilingos is a Qld bowler and Qld does not have selection. So your comment is invalid.

I accept that it would be for scratch teams only, but if total selection is how state teams are to be chosen, then what happens to De Veer being a stepping stone for bowlers to aim for Rachuig? Would selectors keep an eye on other state teams (not only WDV) or would those wanting to bowl Rachuig need to bowl in a lot more tournaments to be noticed?

Gary - thanks! Happy new year to you too. We're both trying out for WDV again this year, sorry we won't get to see you, but good luck trying out for Rachuig!

My personal opinion is that total selection is a great option as opposed to the lucky dip raffle that is roll-off.

I remember in 1995 I tried out for the Qld Rachuig team. There was two weekend **** Ritger camps held so the selectors, coaches could see how people interacted together, bowled on different conditions, what balls they used, what knowledge level they had etc.

The team was then totally selected, on a combination of resume and what the selectors had seen during the camp. At the time I was (still am) a bit of an unknown, living in Townsville and having not bowled a tournament south of Rockhampton and yet I made the team.

So the arguement that total selection is a catalyst for impropriety and other sinister acts is not always right. Like I said in a previous post, if the selectors are knowledgeable, committed and have some form of moral fortitude and pick people based purely on merit then where is the problem.

Sure there wil always be disgruntled people who miss out, who blame the selectors etc etc but maybe a few people need to look at themselves before blaming others. I mean results is one thing the selectors definately look at, but what about attitude (on and off the lanes), spare shooting ability, ability to bowl under pressure. There are a heap of things that have to be considered, and a bit of realistic self reflection might find that you are indeed lacking in a few areas.

Blaming the selectors (in most cases) is like blaming the lanes. More often than not it is the easy option, and is a slight on the many good people who give up there time to do a very thankless job.

Cheers

Steve Hunt :D

PS I'd have George in my team everytime, sure he talks the talk but he sure can also walk the walk.

I think the selection of 4 or 5 has a lot of merit. They should also be named before any roll of for the last two or three spots. Not selected ... try out in the roll off. Then if you miss the team, you can't blame the selectors (thus avoiding any litigation, which seems to be more common these days).

Selection based on rankings position would probably get more people bowling tournaments - (especially in President's Shield) & this is needed (especially in junior & youth events)

I can't say I'm a big fan of total selection but I understand the rationale behind it.

Andrew,

If it was legislated from a higher body that it was total selection would you think the individual state would be within their rights to say our selelction will be the first 5 or 7 highest placewd people at the rolloff or whatever that state wants.

I know its playing semantics but the state assoc has complied by saying who they will select they just haven't named names. Just curious what you think?

Carl the State possibly would be within its rights but as you say that would be semantics.

I hadn't even thought of that. I guess it would be a way for a State body to 'enforce' its own policy over and above the National Body but as far as Qld is concerned I don't think for one minue it would happen.

The Qld board may not be loved by everybody but it could never be found guilty of not listening to its bowlers. They would also see any move such as that to be 'not the right thing to do'.

I know that sounds like a commercial but before Qld makes any changes to its Rachuig selection policy it will take into account the weight of opinion of as many Qld bowlers as it can.

On a slightly different note Carl, a certain person who works in our State office, and who hasnt bowled competitively for a year or two now, has said she will nominate for the Rachuig womens team when you nominate for the mens team..

Andrew,

I appreciate what your saying about taking into account what the bowlers want and I was thinking of the situation where the majority of bowlers wanted it to be a past the post event but the governing body wanted to impose another selection method.

I personally believe the system would work in Qld as the association is intent on ensuring the best teams goes away and has the best opportunity to win. I'm not sure that would be able to be said for all state associations and certainly in the past there has been flaws even in 5 on rolloff and 2 selection. As has been said before it all depends on the selectors and their commitment to the task.

As for nominating, when I see her name up in lights on the nomination board then I am there. We both made the deal that when she nominates, so will I.

Back
Top Bottom