This is what we really need to know .....

Baz

How many possible game scores can be bowled?
First, it seems evident that the total number of possible ten-pin bowling games is quite large. We have eleven possibilities for the first ball thrown in the first frame (gutter, 1, 2, ..., 9, strike), and the same possibilities occur for each of the other nine frames. So without even considering the second ball in each frame, at a minimum we have 11¹º = 26 billion possibilities. In fact, the true number of games is much, much larger due to the effect of the second ball in each frame. It's easy to show that the total number of possible games is 66^9 x 241 = 5,726,805,883,325,784,576 (about 6 billion billion, or 6 quintillion)!"
For further exceedingly useful information that won't at all help you bowl a strike check out this site:
http://www.balmoralsoftware.com/bowling/bowling.htm

I would have thought it only possible to have 301 possibilities for game score..... 0 through to 300.
I think you are looking at the possibilities for the score based on all the possible frame/ball scores. The final score is the final score, it doesnt really matter how you get there.
I still maintain there are only 301 not 6 squiggleyillion odd.

I see a lot of crap on here but this takes the cake!!!

We have eleven possibilities for the first ball thrown in the first frame (gutter, 1, 2, ..., 9, strike), and the same possibilities occur for each of the other nine frames.

What about a FOUL!!!!

if someone can find a calculator that can go to that big of a number let me know, cause i just worked out a formula b4 and i wanna see how different it is to what they got, mine was 111^9 * 333..

Sorry Baz - you have overcooked it here.

There is only 301 possible final game scores, BUT there may me millions or even billions of different pin count combinations in a game.

And Feral, a foul won't alter the combinations or result one iota - it is still a zero pin count.

Max

I think the total number of possibilities in a game depends on how much you suck.. so in my case.. where's my supercomputer gone :D

There can't be too many people going around having thrown 295 with a greek church.. just one example.

Wow! I had no idea there that many possibilities! That website you provided has an incredible amount of useless, but strangely interesting, information.
With a little of my own maths I got the exact same number.
But I can't be bothered to do the rest of the figures those people worked out...

Later Da Cowman!

I think the total number of possibilities in a game depends on how much you suck.. so in my case.. where's my supercomputer gone :D
There can't be too many people going around having thrown 295 with a greek church.. just one example.

ask androoooo how to leave stupid last shot 290 games :p

From http://www.mysanantonio.com/specials/weblogs/bowling/archives/2005/12/nationalstate_n.html

The Unusual
When pro bowler Kent Wagner rolled a 292 game on Nov. 28, he completed the unusual feat of rolling every score possible between 290 and 300. The rarest score possible for starting a game with 11 strikes, the 292, has been reported to have occurred less than 20 times.

Sad to say that 300 is now so common that Kent Wagner has to resort to this sort of thing for kicks...

p.s. Cute site for the stats/maths inclined... I thought it was worth a post! :)

Im sure someone would be able to figure it out. It will just take lots of time, because depending on the first ball, second ball counts would be eliminated (if you bowl a nine, you cant get 5 on the second shot). But i know of a program that could probably calculate it, if anyone really feels the need to know what it would be.

Hamish

Back
Top Bottom