Tenpin Bowling Show

TENPIN BOWLING SHOW ON TV MAY HAVE TO CLOSE.
The reason for this is a problem with sponsorship.
Next weeks show in South Australia will be a repeat.
All other states will have a new show (except Sydney which sadly may never get off the ground)
Gary from South Australia has done everything within his power to help the show survive, but unless an answer is found, the show will have to close.
I have tried my best to do everything possible to promote Tenpin Bowling in Australia, but cannot continue to use up my life savings.
I will keep trying for one more week, after that, bowling will just have to go backwards again.
Sorry,
Tony Drexel.

This is devastating news.

In no way do I blame Tony for the decision he has taken. He can't be expected to continue to plough his savings into a project that is to everyones advantage, but for no return for him. Having worked with him on this project for some months now, I know how devoted to the sport he and his family is and how much of his own money he has put towards the project in the hopes of promoting the sport AS A SPORT.

I only hope that the sponsorship issues can be resolved.

Tony, If I personally had the money to give to help the show, I would. A fellow worker came up to me the other day and asked if I caught the latest tenpin bowling show broadcast. This worker steps into bowling alleys once a year, and is now looking to join a league. He is going to get his whole family involved.

We all know the sponsor in question. I suggest every bowler that wants competitive bowling in this country to not only survive, but thrive make their voices heard with each centre manager.

If there is anything I can do Tony, give me a bell after 6:30 tonight mate.

I have answered Keith's question of dollars in a private mail. The amount is not large. It is enough to cover me for one day off work a week, that I take off to edit the show, get the commentary added, take it to the local community station, and post copies off to the other states.
For anyone wanting to know how much work goes into a project like this.....
a) Purchase camera equipment, tripods, tapes, batteries (I spent $20,000)
b) Arrange with the centre manager to film bowlers / tournaments etc
c) Travel to and film the event with the film crew (my wife & 2 sons)
d) Buy video editing software and pc that is fast enough to cope with video
e) Buy extra hard drives to store footage
f) Transfer video from the seven cameras to the PC for editing (takes approx 4 hours)
g) Spend the next 10 hours editing each show, adding graphics, scores etc
h) Travel to where ever to have the commentary added to the show
i) Purchase blank DVD's and mailing materials
j) Render the show into DVD format, check for errors and redo if nessesary
k) Spend additional time modifing the show with breaks, leaders etc that only some of the tv stations require as written in their contracts.
l) Take the finished show to the local tv station and post copies to others
Apart from this you need to contact all of the tv stations you wish the program to be aired on asking if they will take the show, send samples, and fill out contracts for each season that the show is going to be aired.
All this work and only asking for a small amount of cash.........
Tenpin bowling in Australia has been receiving "The bargin of the year" here, and I thank the hundreds of people who has sent my family messages of thanks for putting bowling back on the map. I just didnt want it to end this way. Where is the logic and common sense.

This is something that the TBAL could sponsor, whether the events filmed are in SA or not, if only on a pilot for 12 months.

Some forward thinking, and out of the square, needs to be used to support this beleaguered sport.

Leanne.

Thanks for the PM's guys.
After a weekend to digest this problem I have come to the conclusion that the people to benefit the most from the airing of the Tenpin Bowling Show are the proprietors and the TBA (membership fees,if marketed correctly). AMF alone with some 45 centres nation wide would be required to contribute a mere $12 per episode per centre. I am sure the centre managers could find that from their budget each week. What other form of advertising can you get for just $12 per week with the potential to bring in hundreds of new bowlers let alone kindle the flame in those that use to bowl (with the massive following in the Seniors & ATBSO if feel that this could be a huge market for both AMF, the Independents & to a lesser extent the equipment providers) Perhaps a Show featuring some oldies would ignite that flame ?????.
The other avenue would be individual donations from the bowling fraternity -
I for one would be prepared to front with a few $$$$$

Rum: The problem with proprietors is that I can't think of a single owner who would pay money for something that was going to be filmed in other centres. Doesn't matter how good the exposure is for the game or as a advertising medium or recruiting tool, no owner would put forward money with shows being shot mainly in AMF branded centres.

I hope something is found to help you out here. I can't see the TBA coming to the party, but hopefully some of the bowling equiptment suppliers can find some money here and there. Otherwise, if you need to resort to donations, I'm sure that many bowlers will be happy to help.

Phluff.
As an ex proprietor I would have no problems at all in contributing to what would constitute as "near" FREE advertising for my business/sport, I am sure many others would think the same. Perhaps the TBA could levy ALL centers on a per lane basis, the cost would be minimal
No matter what way we go about it WE CANNOT ALLOW THE BOWLING SHOW TO DIE. So lets have some positive ideas for Tony tossed around in this forum.
KJ

Back
Top Bottom