TBA Tournaments, do I have to be in a TBA sanctioned league???

hewer

mmm bop
I am curious to whether I can bowl in a TBA event without being in a TBA sanctioned league

I am wanting to bowl in the Marathon down at Dandenong AMF with two other mates from my centre, but we are unsure if I can just pay the $27.50 (whatever it is) become a TBA member and bowl in it, or do I have to have a TBA average etc etc

Thanks in advance for your answers :)

-Paul

Hi Paul,

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong but,

If the Marathon is a handicap event, you would normally need a league entering average. If it is a scratch event all you need to be to bowl in a TBA event is be a TBA member (pay the $27.50). There are plenty of people that are TBA members for tournament purposes & dont bowl in a league.

The only time you would need to have a league entering average would be for handicap events, State Championships, State Team rolloffs or TBA Nationals.

Robert

I was told by John Coxon that to bowl a TBA event from next year u have to bowl in a TBA sanctioned leauge.

Thats why we trying to find one!

Yeah it's a handicapped event, so from what you've said I assume I'd need to be in a TBA sanctioned league :(

Hmm I shall ask around a bit more, but yeah if this is the case damn :(

I was told by John Coxon that to bowl a TBA event from next year u have to bowl in a TBA sanctioned leauge.

Great..another gem of misguided information from our fearless leader...and some of you people still wonder why I don't agree with much the TBA does.

what a load of ****

at the moment i dont bowl in a league due to work commitments but will be looking at bowling in the odd tournament in the back end of the year when my work load clears.

Thats a crazy move. It lacks logic correct me if im wrong but arent most tournament numbers down.

Be interested to find out whether they are trying to increase league numbers or decrease tournament numbers.

Supposed Belmo's screwed if he comes home to bowl a tournament or 2.

My Guess is that it’s a BUSINESS DRIVEN decision… (Not a good move if you’re trying to force peoples hand in this day and age) People will start to vote with their feet…

Here is my take on it if what you have been told is true Gary…

You MUST BE bowling in a TBA sanctioned league to participate in anything else…

So what TBA is trying to do is stamp out the other breakaway associations, the Tenpin Queensland and the likes in Victoria and NSW…They are trying to force leagues to sanction TBA or TBA only so that’s more coin for them…
That’s what I read into all that…Anyone else see that????

A little birdie also informed me that to get a particular Association Challenge accredited recently, they had to remove a word like TQI from the entry form before it could be accredited…

The way I read that is you cannot bowl in the Association challenge if you bowl in a TQI league and not in a TBA league…

How will that effect any teams???????

Is this the road they are heading down to increase membership and numbers????

Jason I think thats always been the case with the Association Challenge.
This is an extract from the rules:

1. TEAM MEMBERS
(a) Each competitor must be a current registered financial member of TBA and in good standing.
(b) Each competitor must be an affiliated financial member of the Area/Association they are representing and must bowl weekly in an accredited TBA league within that Area/Association.

1 (b) has always been there so really any reference to TQ is surplus.
What does need clarification is the "must bowl weekly in an accredited league"
It doesnt specify a year or a period of time. We will be asking the delegates for a more detailed ruling on this.

I think John Coxon would have been referring to State run or Nationally run TBA events as Chin says. These would be State Championmships, National Championships, and State Team Roll-Offs.
The OPs question can only really be answered by going to the TD or Tournament Committee of the actual event and having the eligibility clarified.

"Rules:
All T.B.A. rules will apply as the tournament is an accredited event.
Equipment abuse will not be tolerated
The tournament is open to all current T.B.A. registered players."

Think John Coxon and TBA better watch out though in all this..

- If a bowler doesnt bowl in a league (or bowls in an unsanctioned league)
- Holds a TBA card
- Wants to bowl in a tournament without a handicap

Would be discrimination as far as I understand - to stop a person bowling.

TBA dont have the funds to test the discrimination theory out.
If you bowl in an unsanctioned league, it is just like bowling in no league (ie, like if Belmo wanted to bowl), so having a TBA membership MUST be OK, or else TBA are in a whole lot of strife, if they get a legal challenge.

In the last few years, TBA has been sued at least once by a registered bowler, because members of the board made a "stupid" decision, and they had to back down.

Lets see what happens this time...

V

In 2010, how will the New Zealand Rachuig, Youth and Seniors team members be able to bowl in a TBA Accredited League in order to fulfil this requirement to bowl Nationals, Rachuig, Youth Challenge, Seniors Challenge & Australian Masters and other ranked events?

Additionally, this new rule will discount any overseas bowler wishing to compete in an accredited event, ie SPC etc.

In 2010, how will the New Zealand Rachuig, Youth and Seniors team members be able to bowl in a TBA Accredited League in order to fulfil this requirement to bowl Nationals, Rachuig, Youth Challenge, Seniors Challenge & Australian Masters and other ranked events?

Additionally, this new rule will discount any overseas bowler wishing to compete in an accredited event, ie SPC etc.

I'm sure when it suits them an exemption will be made.

After some discussion between myself and the TBA Chairperson, I've come away with an explanation regarding the rule. Seems gary zanoni misquoted John Coxon and led us all down the wrong path...Below is the email I received from the Chairperson today, which will clarify the situation.

Hi Wayne
I wish you had asked that question before you posted your comments. My conversation with Gary was quite involved and did not include the words he said. For example, the only time the word "sanction" is used in any TBA documentation is in relation to contravening the Anti Doping Policy. If guilty, a bowler is sanctioned.

If we go back in time a little, for joining the NSO, bowlers, leagues and associations got league record sheets, team sheets, standing sheets, etc, etc. Then the computer age saw all that documentation built into Centre computer scoring systems and removed the need for the NSO to provide it. So, now bowlers perceive they do not get anything from the NSO. The term "league" used to represent a group of bowlers who were all registered with the NSO who competed to a regular schedule of competition.

In my conversation with Gary and many others over the past few months I have advised that all these bowlers who currently compete in "league", compete in a structured competition under the rules of the NSO.

Unfortunately, today we have a great number of leagues that have been generated by the Industry and other organisations that are not accredited. Therefore they are simply social groups who get together and compete, using all the rules of the NSO, playing under the conditions of the NSO, but not members of the NSO. So, if everyone in Australia did that, then the NSO would not survive and there would no longer be a sport. Certainly bowlers would still play the game, but no State events, no National events, no International events, no coaching, no development, etc etc. There is only a sport because the Federal Government recognise the NSO.

So my recommendation to bowlers is to join TBA and support the sport. I have advised many, like Gary, that to bowl in an accredited competition in 2009, the bowler must be registered with TBA and the Centre where the competition is being held must be registered with TBA. If an accredited event has a handicap section, and the handicap is taken over 18 or 21 games, then those games must have been bowled in accredited competition. If it was not accredited competition, TBA have no idea whether it was bowled in compliance with the rules and regulations of the sport and therefore cannot recognise it.

As an example - if we went out onto some tennis courts and had a few sets, we do not need to register with anyone and how we play is of no relevance to anyone. If we want to play the sport in accredited competition that is recognised, then we have to join the sports organisational body.

Now TBA documentation has to use the words "accredited league" instead of league, which is a sad state of affairs.

In 2009, State Associations/Braches and local associations/Registered Centres are all funded from memberships so it is in everyone's interest to increase membership. Some States are using their new income to employ development personnel to get out and promote the sport, so increasing funding.

Kind Regards,
John Coxon
Chairman & Director - Tenpin Bowling Australia Ltd

Thanks for posting that Wayne....

Now there is no confusion...

One thing perhaps though. "There is only a sport because the Federal Government recognise the NSO."

I dont want to laugh about that statement - but seriously. Tenpin exists as a sport whether the Government recognise an NSO or not.

V

Seems gary zanoni misquoted John Coxon and led us all down the wrong path...Below is the email I received from the Chairperson today, which will clarify the situation.

Any misquote of Jonhn Coxon was completely unintentional, I have simply stated my understanding of what was said to me. Our enquiries with John were made specifically regarding Lana being eligible to bowl Vic 150, as while we are quite prepared to pay TBA membership we currently do not particiapate in a TBA league.

Thanks for posting that letter WChester, however we are still uncertain about the finer details. So, does this mean then....that as long as we pay TBA membership and bowl league in a centre which is a registered centre with TBA then we are all good? ( We can bowl in an league which is made up of unregistered TBA bowlers?)

If someone could translate what WChester posted it would be much appreciated. We are not out to have a ***** about anything...we just want to know what we are required to do to be elligible to bowl in the comps we want to bowl in.

Gary and Lana

So my recommendation to bowlers is to join TBA and support the sport. I have advised many, like Gary, that to bowl in an accredited competition in 2009, the bowler must be registered with TBA and the Centre where the competition is being held must be registered with TBA. If an accredited event has a handicap section, and the handicap is taken over 18 or 21 games, then those games must have been bowled in accredited competition. If it was not accredited competition, TBA have no idea whether it was bowled in compliance with the rules and regulations of the sport and therefore cannot recognise i

Does this not mean what we think that for a handicap section of a tournie that the bowler has to have established their average in an "accredited league" ??????? To be specific the whole league has to be registered with TBA?

The way I read it is if you bowl in a league that is not an "Accredited TBA League" they wont recognize it for handicap purposes if you want to bowl in TBA accredited events.

Back
Top Bottom