Suspicous Pre-bowls!!!!!

S

Spider

Yes well I have small topic which may apply to many leagues, just wanted what some opinions, what would you do if a bowler who averged 180-190 every week, but throws a lot of real big games and heaps of 140/150 games, prebowls 3 times for a four games league, and throws a 300 296, and ends up with 2 mid 900 series, and close toa 1000 series, would you be suspicious, mind you after the 1000 throws in league 750.

Hmmmmmmmm

It definately isnt out of the question. Quite easy to get on a roll in a prebowl .. noone else around to stop you getting in the groove, and once in there you just keep throwing shot after shot after shot with no distractions. I know I used to bowl some pretty good scores in prebowls, but I used to bowl some crap ones as well.

If you are concerned about it, ask for the league to introduce a rule where a person can only prebowl with someone else from the league present, whether that be an opponent, league president etc etc.

i know at kedron they have conditions where all score corrections must be changed by a staff member at any time.

still not sure yet as to what happens if that rule isn't followed. can't say i've tried to bend the rule yet to see what happens.

Here at Garden City, for the majority of the leagues we "lock" the keyboard for most pre-bowls, which disables any use of the keyboard whatsoever. We have fully automatic scoring, which means the bowler shouldn't have to change anything anyway unless there's a late pinfall, in which case centre staff make the alterations.

This would obviously be useless in a centre that still has manual scoring, in which case I agree with everyone else in that some sort of rule should be made such as pre-bowling with another member of that league, or perhaps having a scorer that is impartial (such as an off-duty staff member, or even an on-duty one that isn't too busy).

i find i always bowl better on my own or among people who are good bowlers. i do that in pre-bowls and in league.

in one of my leagues there is another high end A grader but two D grade women. i average 7 pins less in that league compared to my other league where i play doubles with a high end A grader. thats because you can feed off each others good bowling and get in the zone, at least thats what i put it down to.

What about the bowler in the USA who bowled 900/3 in a pre-bowl, there was a major furore concerning the legality of the 900, weather it should be sanctioned, or not.
willey.

Just an observation here, when you would pre/post bowl, you would obviously have the computer print-outs to be signed by the counter staff or other official, those would have evidence on them of scores being corrected.

Make it official, that bowlers cannot do self corrections ie: must be done by counter staff or other official, corrections to be signed by that person, if those aren't done - scores are null and void.

I thought pre bowls were to be conducted in an environment equal to a legal team line up for that league. ie 4 person team has a legal line up of 2 bowlers so therefore must prebowl in a minimum of a doubles format. This way you are not gaining an advantage by bowling on your own, and if gives you similar conditions to your league.

If not being done during an equivalant league pacers must then be used to form the equivalent.

Where it is a singles format then the pacer must be used.

However if the particualr rules for the league in question are being met, then it should not be a concern. As atmosphere can help or affect a bowler.

willey said:
What about the bowler in the USA who bowled 900/3 in a pre-bowl, there was a major furore concerning the legality of the 900, weather it should be sanctioned, or not.
willey.

May I comment. Although I agree, the 900 was a fantastic effort, none of us would probably ever expect that. I'm not saying he wasnt bowling it legitimately either. I think I read there was a official rule stating that this made it was unsanctioned.

I actually agree for it to be really legit, it does have to be bowled in 'competition' conditions.

I reguarly bowl 200+'s on my own. I wont hit below 160 often, unless there's some other reason (ie drunk, stoned..etc)

I average 139 in league. I missed last week, believe it went up to 140.

So there you go, no pressure, higher scores. Bowling is about not choking during the pressure situations and that's part of the game. Bowling is 10% physical, 90% mental. Take out the competition part, and the mental factor becomes a LOT less.

One example. Two bowlers have hit the first 11. If you were pre bowling, do you think you'd be more likely to hit that 12th rather than if you knew that there was $50,000 riding on it?

I do.

Prebowling should have some rules, they are probably implemented, I dont read up on them too often but here's my opinion.

1. 300's are NOT sanctioned. (same with 800's...and the rest)

2. It should be supervised by a league official

3. Teams should pre bowl together. I dont think it's fair that people bowl individually. How far do they want to take this, bowling in different centers and handing in score sheets? (Just kiddin.....dont wanna start an argument!)

The reason I say this is because-

a) No pressure

b) Differnet conditions

c) Better flow of bowling. You have no distractions or people holding you up, taking toilet breaks, drink breaks, etc.

I could think of more but it's late.

Wow I just rambled lots didnt I. Least I kept on topic.

Ok, speaking of sanctioned 300's, hows this for a scenario.

You are bowling in a 9 no tap tournament, and you actually bowl a 300 - all strikes, not 9's. Does/ Can this be used as a legit 300 game, it is in tournament conditions - plenty of witnesses?

Daz

Daz,

The only way a score can be sanctioned (ie a 300) is if the league or tournament you bowled it in is sanctioned. You'll most likely find that 9-no-tap tournaments don't very often, if at all, get sanctioned.

Could be wrong though.....

Here's a question for anyone out there.

I shot a 300 in a prebowl last Sunday morning for a sanctioned leauge. Because the 300 was shot in a prebowl, will the game still be recognised?

Here's my 2 cents worth, I feel it should be up to the centre to ensure that precautions are made to make sure that all prebowls have the genuine scores. Although 99.9% of leauge bowlers are genuine & wouldn't cheat, there should be set procedures, uniformed in all centres, to ensure that any score corrections can only be done by centre staff.
This would install confidence in all bowlers knowing that if they come up against a pre-bowl, that the scores are genuine.

Back
Top Bottom