High Score" awards will not be issued during unopposed bowling sessions

Jase

Admin
Staff member
The United States Bowling Congress will no longer issue its "High Score" awards for scores rolled during unopposed bowling sessions before or after regularly scheduled league times.

The USBC Board of Directors has adopted the interim rule change, which takes effect immediately and will be enforced for the 2006-07 season.

"Issuing USBC High Score awards for scores bowled unopposed has become a growing concern," said USBC President Michael Carroll. "USBC member delegates voted about a decade ago to allow awards for honor scores bowled without a league officer or appointed representative present. The objective of this rule change is to protect the credibility of the sport and the USBC awards program."

The following USBC High Score awards will not be offered if rolled in unopposed pre- or post-bowled sessions:
* 11 strikes in a row
* 298, 299 and 300 games
* 800-900 three-game series
* National high series
* National team high game
* National team high series
* Baker 300 game
* Merit awards

The flexibility of USBC Playing Rules allows members to bowl their league sessions before or after their scheduled league times as individuals or teams, commonly referred to as "pre-bowling" or "post-bowling."

USBC will continue to recognize several accomplishments performed in unopposed pre- or post-bowling sessions with its line of "Special Achievement" awards, including game and series honors not in the High Score category. High Score awards will still be issued to teams that pre- or post-bowl their head-to-head matches.

I totaly agree with this 110%

Even here in Australia we tend to get excited about people shooting 279’s-290. At the end of the day a perfect game is a perfect game. As is a hole in one, is a hole in one, not inside a meter is close enough to it. They don’t give you a club trophy for holes in one if you get it in a practice round now do they? Takes away at least 1 900 series that i know of!

What do you all think!

No awards should be given for pre or post bowling ever.

Period.

I'm not totally sure but I think we have that in place here anyway.

It has been in affect here for sometime i thought. My freind Paul bowled a 299 while prebowling in another league. His game was not recognized. He did not recieve any awards from the governing body of the time, or should he have ????

Jase said:
The objective of this rule change is to protect the credibility of the sport and the USBC awards program."
Until or unless they reverse their decisions of past and recent times, the USBC has lost all credibility world wide in my opinion, and this rule change will never compensate for their terrible treatment of past FAIR DINKUM champion bowlers who have achieved by the rules.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't get special awards when prebowling in Australia. At least, that's what I thought.

This clause is self explanatory... and it seems well overdue!

As I have said before, bowling is a game of honesty... and not all people are honest!

One 300 in practice, yeah, maybe... but 3 in succession?

The Insider said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't get special awards when prebowling in Australia. At least, that's what I thought.

This clause is self explanatory... and it seems well overdue!

As I have said before, bowling is a game of honesty... and not all people are honest!

One 300 in practice, yeah, maybe... but 3 in succession?
i was under that impression too.

Enf...

Yes it's in place in Australia. If you bowl an honour it wont be (or at least shouldnt be) recognised.
Take it from someone who has bowled a 300 in a prebowl (it was bowling on a spare pair between two leagues with another bowler pacing).
It didnt matter if it happened bowng with the queen - it didnt - and I think quite rightfully - shouldnt count. The golfing analogy from Jase is pretty good.

Unfortunately the horse has already bolted on this one. I agree with shutting the gate to stop others "doing a Mushtare", however the record books will forever be sullied with that name. There's not much credibility left to protect down at the USBC.

Ashy said:
It has been in affect here for sometime i thought. My freind Paul bowled a 299 while prebowling in another league. His game was not recognized. He did not recieve any awards from the governing body of the time, or should he have ????
Apprently, the rule that stands at this point in time in Australia is while bowling a pre bowl, for example, and you, for example, shoot a 300 game, you must have another bowler bowling league with you for it to be counted as legal. If there is a bowler with you, but he/she is not bowling league and just practice games, then it will not be classed as legal.

So what about if you're bowling in league one night and nobody else turns up on your pair, just you?

It's counted as legal.. but what's the difference to graham's situation really?

hey Rowey, what if you have another person bowling with you but they are also doing a prebowl? Would that still count? I bowled a 300 during a prebowl a couple of years back and I had a friend prebowling with me for another leauge on the same pair at the same time. As far as we could find out, under no circumstances would my 300 be recognied because it was in a prebowl.

Personally I think award scores bowled in a prebowl shouldn't be recognised under any circumstances.

according to the TBAL Rule book rule 338 Postponed or Prebowled games

No where under the australian rule book does it say, no honor awards will be awarded for pre or post bowled games.

also i refer to Rule 409 of the TBAL rulebook
Rule 409 CONDITIONS GOVERNING A 300 GAME.

Again, no where in that rule does it stipulate that pre or post bowled games are not honored.

We at Kelmscott Tenpin Bowl, have, due to power outage last monday, (26-03-07) require our league bowlers to post bowl their games. we already had one bowler bowl a 299 as a post bowl for that week, league offiacals were in attendance (league treasure)
and due to the Junior Nationals, we have had the same bowler (myself) pre bowl for two wednesday nights, (4-apr and 11-apr) again with league officers and the center cvd in attendance, bowl 2x300 games.

If the games are bowled with league officals and association officals in attendance, there should be no reason why not to award the high games.
if there are no officials in attendance, then yes, then the pre/post bowled games should not be permitted to stand.

ososober, your the only one here who's prebowled a high game and wants it recognized everyone else thinks their's shouldn't be counted (why's that??) if your good enough to bowl 2 in one day i'm quite sure you'll get one in league. under no circumstances at all should a prebowl or post bowl be counted it's not under league conditions whether your with a league bowler or not. For instance you bowl in a 5 man team in league but you prebowl with only 1 other person how would that be fair???.when i was working at bowling alleys high centre scores wern't even counted and they were only over 200.So stop your whinning and go bowl another 300 (this time in league)

I too agree with the original post from Jase. Below is the PDF of that ruling.
That is all that needs to be said.:-$

Attachments

• United States Bowling Congress High Game Awards Regulations..pdf
    129 KB · Views: 10
I did not of this rule at all and I have bowled 2 in league and I know that on both ocassions the pins did not get weighed, on one of then my ball wasn't cheched and the scores were not asked for and I still had the recognised. So if I may ask if those things weren't done how would they know if it was a prebowled or not.

Matthew Lambrick

Totally agree. Pre-Bowl and Post-Bowl honour scores count for nothing but bragging rights. Different conditions, different lanes (usually) and different atmosphere. I shot a 300 pre-bowl a few years back and it never entered my mind that it should've been recognised. There were a few guys from the league watching but I bowled on a pair on my own so it was nothing like league night.

As for weighing pins and checking balls. back in the days when 300's were special and somewhat rare, it was possible to do all that stuff. Now when there are thousands of honour scores bowled, it's just not practical to have those checking procedures in place anymore. A couple of years ago, when I was living in the US, there was 36000 300 games bowled that year and something like 10000 800 sets. Imagine if they had to weigh all the pins, measure the balls and check the lane specs for each of those? Rest assured they would ensure that the lanes conditions were a lot tougher if that was the case. The bottom line is, that high scores are good for centres, good for your average and above average bowlers that don't know any better so the lanes are ditched, the equipment is overpowering and everyone goes home happy with their egos stroked.

Basically, it's easy enough these days to get your honour scores without having to get your practice, pre and post bowls recognised.

Cheers
Jan

Back
Top Bottom