Standing Sheets Poll

Would you be keen for a TotalBowling forum to upload and view weekly standing sheets?

• Yes

Votes: 73 88.0%
  • No

Votes: 10 12.0%

• Total voters

Big Paulie

Pennywise
Would you be interested in a facility here at TotalBowling for League Secretaries, Centre Managers or league bowlers to upload their weekly league standing sheets?

I would be interested to see what sort of games/averages etc. bowlers in the southern states were bowling, not to mention some of the local Brisbane leagues.

Would League Secretaries or Centre Managers be prepared to upload a standing sheet on a weekly basis?

Would the TotalBowling community embrace such an idea?

Please post your thoughts here.

Paul Oberman

Sounds like a great idea it would be handy to find out what other people are scoring and who I will be playing against the next week.

I am curious to know if that breaches any privacy act.

I am all for it and in fact have been asking my bowl on a regular basis when they will be getting their leagues up on the internet. the AMF website I believe had 3 leagues on the site a couple of years ago.

the last response I got was that for this to happen AMF had to get a 100% vote of acceptance from all leagues to post this information on the internet due to the privacy act. now even I know AMF won't even bother asking the leagues if this is something they want. but does it really breach the privacy act or is it just a brush off?

keen to know what other league bowlers have been told about this.

This is a great Idea,
I bowl in a league who has there own site anyway, but to have them all in a central place is a great idea.

Jase this would be a great idea if you could get people to partcipate and post for leagues.

I will see if i have some spare time on my hands.

Maybe i could get a programe mate of mine to put something together.

The only problems would be:

(a) league managers/secretaries posting details up on a regular basis
(b) the sheer amount of space that the said sheets would take up on the servers.

But, that being said, a very good idea. Bowling's equivalent of a form guide for upcoming tournaments :D

This kind of setup is also done for Indoor Cricket in Townsville, I will talk to my friend and see if there was any forms to sign about privacy acts.

I think it'd be really good. Be good to keep an eye on how the rest of the bowlers are going across the country domestically.
Shouldn't be too hard to upload, if they're all on disc in the centre.

I doubt whether the privacy thing would be that much of a kerfuffle, given that the league results appear in the paper weekly with names of high game and series winners - at least they do here at any rate.

Good luck with it, hopefully it does happen.:)

Thanks for the responses so far guys, keep them coming.

I am interested to hear from some of the 'No' people as to what their reason is for saying no... Is it a privacy issue, or some other reason?

with alot of the centres now running Computer Score, software isn't an issue... it's just a matter of clicking "save HTML" instead of "Print". If a centre was online, they would just need to upload the new html files each monday morning or something... takes 5mins :D

As for privacy, there may be an issue with publishing people's names, but I cant say for sure.

An online league record site would be interesting.... keeping records of every league in every centre..... at least the ability to varify averages would be easy then :D

As for privacy, there may be an issue with publishing people's names, but I cant say for sure.

Recent software updates to Computer Score League Secretary allow bowler's names to become 'Anonymous' on the Standing Sheet, therefore, those bowlers that are worried with their names being displayed publicly on the net should have no reason to be.

This is one of those fantastic ideas that if done properly could be revolutionary!!

Imagine every league bowlers scores being available in one central database. Then you could almost have a national league ranking based on league scores.

Where this was taken could then only be left to peoples imagination.

If I had a spare few months, I would love to work on a group to get something like this done - it would have countless benefits.

VB

Maybe each centre could pick one league , maybe the strongest league.
My centre has about 15 leagues not to mention the juniors.

chrissy

The other question is: what exactly would be included?

Team stats, individual stats, standings - which of these would relevant to everyone and which would be just a waste of space?

Big Paulie....as usual, this looks like a great idea. It appears to have support country-wide.

What we need now is one person from each (interested) centre to be the centre co-ordinator, willing to work with the centre to make this happen. The next question is where to locate these. Is TotalBowling willing to host this?

Totalbowling is willing to host it yes...Only catch is Totalbowling isn't interested in making sure that its kept up to date...This would be alot of work for just one or two people that we can't afford to give up...

So the long and the short is...TotalBowling will host it...
Centres or centre coordinator, will have to do all the work...And keep it up to date.

With proper planning, coordination with all bowling centres, and permission from bowlers (for some info to be displayed publicly), most bowling centres have the ability - as someone suggested previously - to produce an output file for all league results.

So who is up for coordinating what types of scoring systems are in all the various centres, and then work on producing a "monster" online application for integrating all the information???

So who is up for coordinating what types of scoring systems are in all the various centres, and then work on producing a "monster" online application for integrating all the information???

If the systems save data as an rtf or doc file, then it could be as simple as uploading onto a forum each week. For example, setup a "Standing Sheets" forum on the site, create seperate folders by state, then centre, then upload into the one folder.

That's one simple possibility.

Back
Top Bottom