Shorts - It's the Short Straw for Blokes!

jason_doust

The Bowling Geek
Some centres are just bloody hot.
Girls get shorts while men do not.
I think it's unfair
That we have to wear
Inappropriate clothing or else we get shot!

A little limerick to start the debate. At Nationals last year (same house this year - the Rooty Hill boiler house) was at an acceptable temperature for about the first two hours of the day, then proceeded to get hotter and hotter. I was told that it was intolerable during Rachuig. A funny comment I heard was a fellow from the NT telling me that Darwin was a lot cooler to play all year round, and that's where we run high temperature training for national athletes! Yet men still had to compete in long trousers while women were given the option to radiate some heat from their legs. It doesn't make sense and worse, it's unfair.

Another very hot house, Illawarra Strikezone, has the same ruling for the Mick Carmada Classic. At least they have the decency to run it in the dead of winter.

I say it's time that we made the rules fair and allow the option of smart casual shorts for men. As a matter of fact, does anyone know if it's in breach of the law to discriminate like this?

It's been a long time since Wimbledon was played in trousers. One rule for the gals and another for the guys is discriminatory, illogical and maybe even unlawful. Give it some thought. Back to study for me.

Cheers,
Jason

If i could like this twice i would.

Completely agree.

Anyone who knows me, knows that i much prefer to bowl in shorts. I show up to league in shorts everyweek and if you ask John V i even made him more comfortable at the last SS when he saw me in shorts it made him feel better about wearing Jeans :)

Anyway if there is a rule that i must be in pants i will wear them, but if there was a choice its shorts everytime for me.

Totally agree with you Dousty. We (men that is), should be able to wear "dress" or "taylored" shorts whilst bowling, especially if it is hot!

Hi Guys,

OK, I don't like wearing shorts, full stop. I don't have the knees for shorts.

But, if others are comfortable, then as long as they are acceptable in say a restaurant, then why not in a bowling centre.

I like to bowl in Jeans, but that is not allowed. Yet a $15 pair of uncomfortable poor fitting Target paints are OK, but my $100 Levi's are not.

Maybe a re-think of the rules is required.

I guess, the rule should be to simply look in the mirror before you leave home and ask the simple question, " Does my butt look big in this" ask the wife she will give the nod before being allowed to leave the house.

I've seen some of you blokes around the tournaments. Trust me I'd be wearing long pants if I were you. My legs look like legs on a table, no way would I wear shorts.
Cheers Lovey

i agree dousty but at the same time i work in the nightclub scene and girls can wear shorts and skirts and guys have to wear jeans or long pants same as at bowling or ex services clubs guys cant wear headwear or singlets yet girls can and theres nothing we can do about it

This is a good debate you have raised Jason and i totally agree. This will be one of the options (tailored shorts) that Deano and myself will be adopting for the Sunraysia Cup come Australia Day next year. Even though the aircon in the Sunraysia bowl is quite good and has been even further upgrade in the last 12 months we wanted to make sure that people had the option in order to maximize there experience.

The question will be and maybe someone can answer it, is will we run into problems (even though it is our tournament our option) with the TBA as we will be accredited with them ????? . . .

Spot on Jason! Tidy dress shorts such as black, white or beige. It might be worth taking this further to a certain C. Honeychurch!

I've been to plenty of sanctioned tournaments and guys were wearing shorts and no one said ****, I guess its who you are when it comes to the rules......

Docta, I certainly do not believe that is 'who you are' when it comes to the rules - check the entry form for the dress code - if it is a concern to you then make a formal complaint. I personally think that dress shorts are appropriate.

I remember many, many years ago at Clayfield a junior was asked by his parents if he wanted to learn to bowl at a higher level in league and his comment was 'not on your life, it is a game for old men in black trousers'.

Flower

Hi Guys,
ask the simple question, " Does my butt look big in this".

If your asking that question you already know the answer... :D

I also prefer to wear shorts... I wear them all year round and would like to bowl tourneys in them as well... As long as it's neat and not distasteful who cares...

Men should always wear slacks while competing in tournament. That's the most professional look we can ever hope to attain. Similar to Professional Golf events where the men are required to wear slacks...Yes, I know that Plus Fours are also acceptable attire, but I don't think any bowler would dare don that attire on the lanes.

I can tell you the best indicator of a playable temperature in a bowling centre. If any female spectators need to wear jackets or jumpers, then the room temp is right!

Some centres are just bloody hot.
Girls get shorts while men do not.
I think it's unfair
That we have to wear
Inappropriate clothing or else we get shot!

A little limerick to start the debate. At Nationals last year (same house this year - the Rooty Hill boiler house) was at an acceptable temperature for about the first two hours of the day, then proceeded to get hotter and hotter. I was told that it was intolerable during Rachuig. A funny comment I heard was a fellow from the NT telling me that Darwin was a lot cooler to play all year round, and that's where we run high temperature training for national athletes! Yet men still had to compete in long trousers while women were given the option to radiate some heat from their legs. It doesn't make sense and worse, it's unfair.

Another very hot house, Illawarra Strikezone, has the same ruling for the Mick Carmada Classic. At least they have the decency to run it in the dead of winter.

I say it's time that we made the rules fair and allow the option of smart casual shorts for men. As a matter of fact, does anyone know if it's in breach of the law to discriminate like this?

It's been a long time since Wimbledon was played in trousers. One rule for the gals and another for the guys is discriminatory, illogical and maybe even unlawful. Give it some thought. Back to study for me.

Cheers,
Jason

Or to solve the problem make the women wear long pants, there's a few women out there that should NOT be wearing shorts or skirts because of their size, harsh but true!

Men should always wear slacks while competing in tournament. That's the most professional look we can ever hope to attain. Similar to Professional Golf events where the men are required to wear slacks...Yes, I know that Plus Fours are also acceptable attire, but I don't think any bowler would dare don that attire on the lanes.

I can tell you the best indicator of a playable temperature in a bowling centre. If any female spectators need to wear jackets or jumpers, then the room temp is right!

Have to agree with Wayne here, our old indication is if the control staff have to wear jackets or jumpers (summer or winter) then it is the right temperature for bowling. Saying that I still prefer to wear tailored shorts while bowling, especially up here in Qld.

Why am i not surpised you were pretty much the first person to go against the general trend of the thread. You have a right to your opinion, i respect that, but it does always seem you comment to make waves and be in the minority.

Back
Top Bottom