Shield training at cannington

ratty133

The Brow
Hey Guys,
Today was very productive if i do say so myself. The team (especially the boys trained at our strike shots and targeted for at least an hour and then started hitting 10's and 7's for some length of time. We were bowling off the cannington classic (super 6) oiling pattern and the balls were flying down and slamming the pocket hard. Kevin Sheedy was by our side the entire time we were training and did we all improve or did we all improve. Good Job Sheedy!!!! :D :D :D :D

The boys produced some fine series' as a result from the targeting and training we did. Some included:

Adrian- 673
Matt- 665
Mitch Edom- 662

(Note: these were all over 3 games)

I personally think that this was the result of a decents mornings work worth of training thus improving our scores and Kevin getting us to put the ball down at certain points resluting in hard hitting pockets.

There was a rumor that Kira has pulled out of the team????

Do i have any second on that? If this is true, then the girls team now has 5 members which is really pushing it.

I have been told that my parents are sponsoring the team when we go away so we have a major sponsor.

Well, it looks like we can definately improve from here until when we go away. With scores like 257 from me and 256 from gary and mitch edoms 235, and 239, the boys should have a fighting chance has long as we keep up the hard work at training. The same goes for the girls. If they are really determined to go over east and prove what they can do, well thay have a good chance.

Im sorry for the long post but i just had alot to say!

L8r all

(P.S. for those who didnt know, training is on sunday at 9!!!!! be on the lanes ready to bowl not rock up at 9 and chat then bowl. OK. One more thing, eileen and bev are really confident that we can perform well over east so guys, lets do what they say like being on the lanes ready to bowl at 9 and stuff like that.)

Shield Trials and tribulations

So, the shield team are still rocking up to training late, huh, isnt that one of the problems that allen was trying to address (turning up on time and attendance) also, if it is true that Kira has pulled the pin doent that leaves only 5 girls, the question to ask yourselves is why is everyone Including other coaches, (as no other level two coach applied during the nomination period) pulling out or not applying, as it was, there were only 9 girls to start with, and now nearly half that number has resigined.

Also, why did no other person apply for manager, again you need to ask the question why?.

Also, as no other LV 2 coach has applied to my knowledge at this stage, what will happen in 5 1/2 months time when the team travels to shield, without a coach.

I hope the team is willing to answer all these questions and maybe some more after the next state meeting.

I hope it all works out for you, but i can not see it happening, we (western Australia) may not even be able to send a complete team over, or if the team is sent, can you imagin every girl member of the team bowling all 18 games, with their current endurance. some of them cant even train solidly for two hours, ( if anything that i witnessed on sundays at kelmscott is anything to go by)

anyway that is from me for now, might chat a bit later

Ian Jones
SVD
Kelmscott Tenpin Bowl

On the issue of the girls team, I wouldn't see any problem in WA going in for the draft. Im sure states such as NSW, QLD and Vic have many female bowlers in the 170+ average bracket who would be willing to draft to WA, just like the 2 girls who went to Tasmania last year. I believe that the endurance factor for the girls is being touched upon by Jackie as she talked about it in the meeting beforehand and only trained the girls for a shorter period of time to the boys.

The issue of the Level 2 coach is a little more tricky. They are still allowed assistant coaches (Kevin Sheedy and others) and Managers (when we get them) on the lanes when bowling President Shield, but also have the choice to have a Level 2 from another state on the lanes who would only stay with them for the extent of the President Shield competition. I know that last year one team did have a "drafted" coach for the tournament and i dont think that it cause them too much trouble.

Although all of this is going on I still believe in all the people are still in the team and I know for a fact that no one will give up over East no matter what the scores or where they are placed.
It is very well known that the so called 'underdogs' can be very sucessful in major sporting competition and this was shown when Australia came home with 2 gold medals from the 2002 winter olympics. I can only hope that our President Shield team can do the same.

I hope this has answered some of your queries Ian and i wish the best for the Shield for the WA team.

WA Shield Team Reserve
DAVID WILCOX

Ian,

I guess one of the major reasons for having only 1 coach apply and NO ONE put in for manager is The well-documented, and COMPLETELY UNNECCESSARY bickering and other petty bull that the whole shield team (bowlers, coaches and managers) put up with every year... and each year it seems to get worse. And if it keeps going like this then I certainly can't blame anyone for not wanting to put their hand up for any of these positions, because doing all the fundraising and hard work just for a knife in the back from outsiders is just not worth it. I even had some of the guys trying out for the team ask me if i wanted to apply for a managerial position. The reason above is what i immediately answered back.

Get rid of the bickering, or keep it to a minimum and then maybe, JUST MAYBE, some interest might be regenerated.

Anyway, I hope, for the teams sake, that these whole issues are sorted out VERY soon, because the team doesn't need all of this on top of the job they are there to do -- BOWL AND BOWL WELL FOR WESTERN AUSTRALIA!!!

On another note, rumour is that Sheeds is going to go for his Level 2 Certificate, so that would be a great thing for the bowlers, knowing they will be going away with a coach.

Lets all hope these issues are done with in the very near future.

Right, this is really starting to get absolutely rediculous.

If you havent noticed, the WHOLE of Australia will most likely be reading this, as we are airing our dirty laundry (quite like that little tiff before in SA) I can honestly say that the bowlers are sick of the crap that gets posted on here, and ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Now the team has chosen a path to follow, lets just wait and see where that path leads us. Where Luke said about the constant bickering etc, he is totally right. In my 3 years of shield, the complaints and arguments and little "clicks" always seem to be apart of shield. The kids dont like it, and that is the reason for LACK OF INTEREST in WA shield.

If anyone has a problem with anyone else, then discuss it to them in person, not on here for the whole of Australia (and the world for that matter) to see.

As for the 2 girls who came late, I explained before that I got a reason for the lateness and they know to be more punctual in future.

Also if we do lose another bowler, then we do have the option of drafting.

In conclusion, this constant whinging and bickering on the forums has GOT TO STOP. Not only are you badmouthing the shield team (which we dont deserve) but you are also badmouthing the whole of WESTERN AUSTRALIA. All I can say now is good luck to my team mates and when we get there, to do our absolute best and hopefully come home with a souvineer.

Later
Adrian

Also...

I know that we dont have any particular coach(es) coming with us, but we do have at least 4 coaches helping us at training. Ken Thompson, Kevin Sheedy, Eileen Peterson and Jackie Bailey have offered to give up their personal time to help us. And we (the team) greatly appreciate this.

As far as managers go, I'm not to sure what is going on there.

Murderdoll said:
Now the team has chosen a path to follow, lets just wait and see where that path leads us.

With all thats happened, its good to see the players have had that meeting and decided on a course of action. And with some great coaches giving up their free time to help out, positive things will happen!!

Practice hard and bowl well at shield guys and girls!!

Hi all,
In regards to sheedy going for a level 2 coach, he told me last nite at tuesday fives that he isnt going to pay 800 bux to go to melbourne or were eva to get his 2's. I think he is asking them to get one set up in wa.

On another note, kevin told me that if he does get his level 2, he WILL!!!!! be taking the shield boys away. i dont know about the girls but he will be our coach. He isnt going with the cannington development squad because brian will be doing that and they dont need 2 coaches.

i hope this has answered ur ? ian about the coaching. All we need to do now is hope that kevin actually gets the level 2 and we r one step closer to being a better team.

AS 4 the l8ness, all bowlers signed a code of ethics/conduct or wotever and all agreed to abide by it and as i understand, (rumor or truth) the parents wrote up some kind of code of conduct of their own.

Anyways im off

L8r

Well it is good to see the team is starting to take a positive direction with the Association people such as jackie and eileen coming along to set us all straight on a few things that were cirtainly floating round in my head.

As for the team, most people seemed alot more comfortable at cannington and kevin made a good impression with me, as he started work on us straight away.

Im not saying that i disliked allen or his methods in any way, in fact i was happy to bowl at kelmscott with him right up until sheild, im just happy to see the team finally coming together and getting organised, and that communication between the Association and the bowlers has gone forward in leaps and bounds last week.

Was also good to see people bowling like they should and challenging themselves with a big of a kick from kevin.

till next time.....

Gaz

Back
Top Bottom