SA cup - ???

Jase you may be right. However events with rankings points are currently the best way to measure your game as in those events you are playing against the best this country has to offer (or who are choosing to bowl).

I agree in part that you can consider rankings points useless or irrelevant to an event but I guess it depends on the reason you are bowling cash or recognition.

Matt the re-entry format for the AO in 06 was a great way to boost numbers with our recent VIC sports series backing that up. Maybe it is time to ditch the tired old pay up $250 plus for 8 to 12 games qualifying format and look into alternative formats. It gave all bowlers a chance to make the final and then from there it was up to them. The best of three knock out elimination format certainly produced some surprises.

The re-entry format bowling five games qualifying seems to be the most likely format that will guarantee meeting required entry numbers for advertised prizefund payouts at present. Also an alternative to the fifteen + games matchplay is long over due.

The AO of 06 and the upcoming Gold Coast International are a great way to give all bowlers a chance to succeed in an event. Which tends to mean more people may choose to hand over their hard earned to attempt to qualify.

These formats combined with the use of sports patterns are a way to reestablish some prestige and also credability for our sport. They also provide all bowlers with the chance to succeed in an event if they have worked hard enough on their game.

All i can say's that AMF have got the right person for the job in Brett Best.

We just need to get behind him and give some suggestions cause he will Listen to all bowlers to better our sport.

Alan Notman

Thanks for the support guys.

Just a few things, I would like to mention, after reading the posts.

1. I have been in this position of National Tournament Director since mid October, so organising things like more sponsorship to make tournament cheaper, doesn't happen overnight.

2. At the Brunswick Cup at Tuggeranong, I told all bowlers my email address ( [email protected] ) , and the centre where you can contact me, so people can make suggestions on Tournament formats etc. To date, I have not received one email or phone call.

3. AMF only runs 6 of the 14 ranked open events.

4. The dates of most of the Super 6 tournaments are fairly spread out. Due to Easter falling ealier this year (which is when the AO is bowled each year), It does only give an 8 week gap between events.

I am open to suggestions on formats etc, because it is not me who is bowling in these tournaments, it is you guys. If it means more entries, happier bowlers, then I'm all for it.

Thanks

Brett Best
AMF National Tournament Director

Brett..

One suggestion would be to publish a total financial breakdown of the entry fee and prize fund. I would like to know what the lineage fees are at these Super 6 tournaments as well as knowing how much sponsorship money has been added to the prize fund. Is there any money apportioned for expenses?

A few years ago Totalbowling readers were told that AMF paid GST on the prize fund portion of the entry fee? Is this still the case? (I certainly hope not, since prize funds are not GST applicable)

Wayne,

Just for your information, before saying that GST is not applicbale to prize funds I'd suggest you go to the tax office website and read GST ruling 2002/3.

You'll find that GST can be applicable to prize funds and it is all in the way the entry fee and right to particpate is valued. This has been a topic of discussion many times and I think it was worked out that the added GST totalled between $5 and $10 per bowler which in the scheme of things did not amount to any great advantage given the work involved to ensure the prize fund did not attract GST.

But the ruling spells it out very clearly.

Wayne,
Just for your information, before saying that GST is not applicbale to prize funds I'd suggest you go to the tax office website and read GST ruling 2002/3.
You'll find that GST can be applicable to prize funds ............. the ruling spells it out very clearly.

The entire ruling (all 227 paragraphs of it) can be found here..
http://law.ato.gov.au/atolaw/view.htm?docid=GST/GSTR20023/NAT/ATO/00002

Paragraph 20 - Giving prize money is not making a supply

20. When an event holder gives prize money to a winner, it is not making a supply for GST purposes, as a supply does not include a supply of money unless the money is provided as consideration for a supply that is itself a supply of money.F6 However, prize money, as well as prizes of goods or services, may be consideration for a supply made by the winner

Clear to whom??..certainly not anyone outside of the ATO unless they're a tax accountant.

Thanks for the correction Carl....Good to see ATO employees working on their day off. Now the next question has to be.......Has this ruling been challenged in the courts? Seems ridiculous to me to tax prize funds wherein no profit is made by the promoter.

Wayne, GST content or not, it has nothing to do with the decline in numbers in tournaments.

I have met Brett before and also believe he is the right man for the job and doing the best he can do with the funds he is given.

As for asking for a published total financial breakdown of the entry fee’s and prize funds and requesting to see linage fee’s is a bit over the top...as far as I am concerned if and only if anyone was entitled to this, it would be the people who have bowled in and supported the events.

As far as I’m concerned if you don’t bowl tournaments you have no beef.

I think last time Wayne you bowled a super six, you didn’t complete the tournament. I haven’t seen you in a super six since, and SA Cup is not the first tournament you have asked for a breakdown of prize money. Some how I don’t feel that this is the real reason you don’t bowl tournaments...and in finishing if somehow all the tournaments organises throughout Australia could get together and give there ideas about what formats work and what don’t, and perhaps even all put there heads together and try and find some sponsors for the majors throughout Australia.

And as for Carl working on his day off, I am pretty sure he is qualified enough to give the right answer, his answer made sense to me and the explanation of the rule was pretty simple...;)

Now I am off to my other site Totalkarting.com.au...:D

For those interested I'll try and explain the interpretation of the GST ruling.

First I will say I am not an expert but do have some knowledge of the legislation and rulings.

Basically the ruling is interpreted that in a bowling tourny there are 3 supplies.

Supply 1. AMF or any registered centre offer the right to participate in an event for a certain amount of consideration. (Cost of Entry) the cost of this entry attracts GST if the supplier(eg. AMF) are registered for GST.

Supply 2. The bowlers supply the centre with their skills and ability. However as this supply is not for any consideration (We don't charge for our skills and we are not registered for GST) then no GST applies.

Supply 3. AMF or any registered centre supplies the prize fund paid out. As Wayne has rightly pointed out this does not attract GST. (1/11 of the prize fund is not taken as GST and given to the government)

I believe what is the most important point is that AMF or any registered centre are only complying with the obligations imposed on them by the legislation and the government. They are not making any benefits from charging GST on the entry fee.

I hope this makes some sense and provides a better explanation for those interested.

Thank you for the detailed explanation Carl.....
I stand corrected. It looks like the government tax collectors have their hands in more pockets that I was led to believe.

Jase...
I don't see anything wrong with asking for a financial statement. It's not like I'm asking to see the bowl's P & L statement. After all, a sizable portion the entry fee does go to pay lineage. Don't you trhink the bowlers deserve to know exactly what they're paying for?

Add this to the lengthening list of why having myself elected as Chairperson of the TBA, would signal the beginning of a new era, one in which information is shared with the membership, and where TBA business is no longer being conducted behind closed doors.

2. At the Brunswick Cup at Tuggeranong, I told all bowlers my email address ( [email protected] ) , and the centre where you can contact me, so people can make suggestions on Tournament formats etc. To date, I have not received one email or phone call.
There is your problem.you contact the bowlers.
Andy Mckay.

Back
Top Bottom