SA cup - ???

xballs

bujinkan budo taijutsu
Less then 15 Days to go & only 60 entries ???? whats up with that. If people don't support these major tournaments - they will be gone for ever. :eek::eek:

Xballs

the reason is that its just to expensive for people to traffic when the pay out is like it is. FOr me it would cost about a grand to come over and bowl. I would need to finish top 4 to make any money.

Like many people i have a mortgage and other bills so its hard for me to make that commitment with the chance of not winning anything, or at least covering my cost

its not that i do not want to support tournaments its the sheer fact of a to higher risk

Cheers
Matt Riley

Yes, for bowlers like myself with an average of 170+, it's harder to make these tournaments. Sheerly because of inexperience. Sure, we can hit a 200 odd game here and there, but we need to be consistent to hold an average of over 200 to make any money. I'm not complaining about the fact I can't make the top qualifiers just yet, but about the price tag. I enjoyed bowing in last years NSW Open.

I notice these days tournaments held at AMF centres are dearer, so I think there's something there.

I think everyone should read the recent edition of "Whats The Score?" magazine at your local AMF centre, Geroge Frilingos has an interesting column on there. Fits this situation perfectly.

As has been thrashed around previously on other threads. There are far to many Nationaly ranked tournaments a year. Cairns Open 19-20 January, S.A. Cup 26-27 January.
In May & June you have Arafura, K & K & Melbourne International over a 4 weekend period.
Who apart from the top 10-15 bowlers in the country can afford to go to all these tournaments.
Combine these tournaments with Youth & Seniors tournaments.
Most bowlers cant afford to bowl more than 6-7 tournaments a year with the costs invovled.
Unless the number of ranked tournaments is cut to 6-8 a year the poor turn out to all tournaments will continue.

Last year was my first year of tournament bowling. I competed in 3 nationally ranked tournaments, and I have to say I am absolutely loving tournament bowling. I haven't finished inside the top 20 yet, but that is ultimately my goal. I will be going to Adelaide with the knowledge there is a very big chance that I may come away with little more than the experience gained from competing with some of the very best in the country. Unfortunately, a lot of bowlers are simply not in a position where they can afford that. The cost of entering, accommodation, meals and transport is simply beyond the means of a lot of people, and in the current economic environment I fear it is only going to get worse before it gets better.

With that in mind, as Rob touched on, it is SO important that the calendar is a little more spread out. This year there are 14 ranked tournaments, yet from the Australia day long weekend to the middle of May there is only one ranked tournament in the space of nearly 4 months, and immediately after that there are 3 in the space of 3 weeks.

It is such a shame that so many people who want to compete simply cannot afford it, but that is the reality of the current economic conditions.

This places even more importance on improving the spread of ranked events more evenly across the calendar year.

Bowlers have suggested this all along, for years and still no action has been taken by AMF to spread the dates out to increase the entries.

I'm so keen to get back into the tournament scene but as Matt Riley pointed out I also have mortgages and bills to pay. Having children doesn't help the budget to save to bowl tournaments either.

People simply cannot afford it. You must stop bagging the players for not supporting it as its not our fault we cannot get to these events.

I would like to see the entry forms out earlier. The SA Cup entry forms were released at the Brunswick Cup, 7 weeks prior to the SA Cup. If the entry forms were released, say 4 months prior tot he tournament, then people could take advantage of cheaper airfares and maybe save a few hundred dollars. It might just be the difference between being able to come from interstate and not, especially this close to Christmas and the expense involved with the festive season.

It can also be a case of something better on offer.
Example would be say there is a skins closer to home, offering a better chance to earn more money and a cheaper entry...
Its not the fact the we dont want to go its just difficult, some are still trying to get over christmas and new years. So money isn't always on the flow. Accomodation, travel. All add's up so soon. Personally i would love to bowl in it. Just cant, not now anyway.

By the sounds of it - I think we need as change in dates for the SA cup. Better of moving it then losing it. Numbers seem to be getting worse each year.

To the people who run the super six series - its about time you listen to the bowlers & fix this up.

If ranking pionts are the issue as Chin said then they should only be given to one tournament for each state & they have should more then 70 bowlers competing.

I can see the future "2018" Dave Kuhn finally wins the SA cup - only problem is he was the only entry - Actually I would probably come second:D or miss the cut.:surrender:

Dave

I think SA CUP is on the right dates, it's alway been there and has never really been a problem.

I think there is more to it than a date change, putting it on further in the year when it is worse could be more of a problem.

When we were running the SACUP we alway had the entry form out at the Adult nationals, which gave people plenty of time.

Prize fund, I don't really see any problem with it. It doesn't need to be any higher.

cheers

tony

By the sounds of it - I think we need as change in dates for the SA cup. Better of moving it then losing it. Numbers seem to be getting worse each year
As the tournament is only a 2 dayer, we don't need to have it on a long weekend which is at the end of school holidays.
Moving it just a couple weeks (early/mid February), would mean you could get cheaper airfares and accommodation.

As the tournament is only a 2 dayer, we don't need to have it on a long weekend which is at the end of school holidays.
Moving it just a couple weeks (early/mid February), would mean you could get cheaper airfares and accommodation.

S.A. Cup has been the same weekend for the last 25 years. These days the long weekend doesnt always come into play as they have the public holiday on the day it falls due.
As S.A. Cup has been going for so long why stick other Nationally ranked events 1 week before. Are we going out of our way to kill off events or something. There doesnt seem to be that much on early in the year, ranked event wise. Lets cram all the tournaments into the middle of the year & end up with less bowlers shall we. We need to cull a few tournaments to make the others successfull, why not start with S.A. Cup.

I blame Brenton and his shorts ;)

Too many events, too jam packed into such a short period of time.

If we keep SA cup there, we need to remove others around, and do it quickly.

Lets face it this country throws up major challenges to any sport wanting a National circuit. HUGE DISTANCES!

Thus I believe having only one ranked tournament in each state will be signing the death warrant for competitive bowling here in Australia.

The current calendar provides the following:

Queensland: North 3 (Cairns, McKay, Townsville)
South 2 (K & K, Aspley) - both in Brisbane
NT: 1 Arafura - Darwin
SA: 1 SA Cup - Adelaide
VIC: 2 AO & Melbourne International - both in Melbourne
NSW: 2 South Pacific & NSW Open - Sydney and Sydney fringe
ACT: 3 National All Events & Championship & Australian Cup - Canberra
WA: 0
TAS: 0

Its unfortunate but probably is closer to the harsh reality that both WA & TAS most likely have to wait to the Nationals hit town to have one in their state again. Otherwise they need someone of the likes of Lee Matthey to step forward and get an event off the ground like the Gold Coast International. I imagine QLD South will add this one next year to their list of ranked events.

I would be reluctant to move any of the existing events as they all are run at their current times for one reason or another and as they say if it is not broken don't fix it.

I think bowlers in the east should be thankful that at the present time their is a wealth of choice in events to bowl in as our WA colleagues have nothing to bowl in unless they want to fork out an airfare at present.

The clash with the Adelaide test has made reservations more tricky that most other tournaments. Just meant more time on the phone and internet.

Janey

get an event off the ground like the Gold Coast International. I imagine QLD South will add this one next year to their list of ranked events.

Terry,

I highly doubt that…Why spend an extra $250 or take it out of the prize fund to add Rankings Points when they mean Sweat **** All…

Ranked or Not Single or Double if the prize fund is decent and the Tournament is a success people will travel IF THEY CAN AFFORD TO AT THE TIME…

i think a lot of it also comes down to payout vs cost.

Matt said it earlier, he would need to finish 4th to cover costs. That would be for most of the interstate bowlers, and these days that is a huge thing to look at. Will i cover my expenses yes / no. If the answer is no, then why go unless you are chasing those useless national ranking points.

A number of the regular Vics now attend another tournament on the same weekend. A skins event, Cost $160, 10 games, $600 per skin. Win 1 skin you cover your expenses. Shorter travel, cheaper entry, almost the same number of games as qualifying for SA cup. almost 1/2 the price.... i know where im bowling Australia day weekend.

I read with interest all about cost etc, which i understand is hugely important to all and sundry. but whatever happened to attending a tournament to enjoy yourself, catch up with mates and basically have a good time.
i'm heading to Belmo's home town on OZ day weekend to bowl in the NSW Country Championships with my wife and 4 kids. in the last few years entries have been down so prize fund pay out is down also. but for the pleasure of actually enjoying a tournament where i can play team and doubles with my kids i wouldn't miss it for the world.
bowling fees $864, accommodation $335 (3 nights), fuel $160. the opportunity to bowl in a tournament with my kids and enjoy the weekend and have a few bourbons with my mates in Orange - PRICELESS.
sometimes it should not be all about the money, it should also include the mateship and enjoyment factor as well.
In Oz we are not a professional sport and if you play it to make money then i think you'd better think again (unless your Belmo of course). So what price do we or should we put on having a good time and catching up with friends?
Shoey

I read with interest all about cost etc, which i understand is hugely important to all and sundry. but whatever happened to attending a tournament to enjoy yourself, catch up with mates and basically have a good time.
i'm heading to Belmo's home town on OZ day weekend to bowl in the NSW Country Championships with my wife and 4 kids. in the last few years entries have been down so prize fund pay out is down also. but for the pleasure of actually enjoying a tournament where i can play team and doubles with my kids i wouldn't miss it for the world.
bowling fees $864, accommodation $335 (3 nights), fuel $160. the opportunity to bowl in a tournament with my kids and enjoy the weekend and have a few bourbons with my mates in Orange - PRICELESS.
sometimes it should not be all about the money, it should also include the mateship and enjoyment factor as well.
In Oz we are not a professional sport and if you play it to make money then i think you'd better think again (unless your Belmo of course). So what price do we or should we put on having a good time and catching up with friends?
Shoey

hey shoey

not having a go at you but i would love to catch up with my SA mates too and to have the luxery of (its not always about money) well im affraid that in this day and age with the country heading in a way which we are un sure, it is about money for me and alot of other people. PErhaps having less tournaments the better and put bigger prize funds into those.

there surely is away of doing this but im not sure how thats why they pay TBA officials and AMF officials for is to think of a way to fix it

Maybe have shorter formats as belmo has been talking about, less games means less entry fee, AO a few years back was a prime example, that tournment had not been full for years but they changed the format and bam, they increased the pay out, when was the last time that happened

Back
Top Bottom