Results from Australian Brunswick Cup

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Jason Belmonte from Orange NSW has just won the 2006 Brunswick Australian Cup. Brandon Qualischefski of Queensland has run second with Jason Walsh from NSW finishing a very close third.

Kate Wilton also of Queensland won the plate final from Michael Little and Neil Donnelly both of NSW.

The 24-lane centre at Canberra International Bowl, Tuggeranong played host to the prestigious 2006 Brunswick Australian Cup
This event forming part of the Tenpin Bowling Australia National Rankings Tour also attracted double ranking points with 84 entries from both men and woman around Australia, New Zealand and Canada journeying to the centre in the far western suburbs of Canberra.

Day 1 qualifying
With an evening wedding to attend in Sydney New South Wales and Australian world cup team member Jarrod Lean decided to bowl first squad…Lean only decided to bowl the event a week before hand has his words were” I got itchy feet and was keen to bowl”…Great last minute decision as the young New South Welshman set a blistering pace with a 12 game qualifying total of 2748, +348 over the card and a Tournament high game to date of 299… 15 pins in front of current SA Cup Champion Brian Pilkington from Queensland. Fresh back from his 2006 World Cup representation is Australian Men’s Captain Jason Walsh only a further 7 pins further back in third place. Walsh looks in fine shape trying to take a 3rd major title for the year…Australian world cup bronze medalist Jason Belmonte lurking back in midfield ready to pounce on the early leaders. After a nervous wait watching C Squads last games Cameron Walsh rounded out the top 16 with a total of 2573 for his 12 game totals. For the first time in History no left hander in the top 16.

This event also includes a Plate final…Top qualifier for the plate is Narelle Baker of Victoria with a 12 game total of 2558 and in 32 second spot is the current Australian open champion David Porto of Victoria at +54 for his twelve games…Pinfall carries over to the finals of each division…

Finals…

Both match play and plate finals got underway early …Overnight leader Jarrod lean started strong in match play with 6 wins of his first 8 matches and went on to win 11 out of 15 in match play which also included 1 tie…Unfortunately for Lean, Belmonte was on fire from word go and it was his outstanding match play average of 241 for his 15 games which went on to help him win this event...Belmonte averaged over 250 for his first 8 games and showed the crowd how good this guy really is…
Brandon Qualischefski of Queensland started the day 28 pins off the overnight leader and looked strong in the early stages but also found the Belmonte pace hard to stay with finishing a distant second…Brian Pilkington from Queensland also struggled to find his feet early but soon started to string some scores and after a solid performance finished in a solid 7th place. Former SPC Winner (1991) Jason Doust made a successful return to tournament bowling and proved that he still has what it takes to be competitive with the YOUNGER boys. Qualifying in 15th position,he was the mover and shaker of the tournament and worked his way through the field to finish a very impressive 5th.
Jason Walsh of NSW started to mount a comeback and cut into his fellow New South Welshman’s lead…With a solid start to match play Walsh compiled games of 236,225,256,276,237, and a 277 well on his way to finishing third in this event and to top off probably one of his most successful years to date...
Young youth bowler from QLD Luke Green rounded out the top 16.

The day really did belong to Belmonte…Thanking his parents in his speech, really showed how much it means to him to win in Australia in front of his friends and family… ‘It means allot to me to have my parents here cheering for me, they cheer louder than anyone else and it’s a great feeling to win in front of them and I thank them for there support of me” Belmonte said.

The plate final was contested on the end lanes of the centre over 8 games…With pinfall carrying over from qualifying I am sure Rankings leader George Frilingos thought he had this one in his grasp…Former Australian representatives Michael Little and Kate Wilton had other things in mind. Little hit the lead early but faltered and then Wilton took advantage of that and never looked back…Wilton stringing together games of 247 228 213 246 267 185 243 took the title with Little finishing 52 pins further back…

All scores and Pictures can be found here

http://www.totalbowling.com.au/news/livescores/

Attachments

• IMG_1422 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1422 (Medium).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_1424 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1424 (Medium).jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 87
Congrats to all especially belmo on his win! was he using his new columbia gear or doesnt that start till nxt year?

chris, i can only assume it was with his storm gear, as george posted that as of january 1 2007 belmo is using the big c.

cheers!

and congrats belmo! huge effort!! best of luck for the coming year. you are only getting better and better :D

martina

Gee Jase with top story's like that u might get a call from Channel 9 Brisbane!!

I hear there looking for a new sports reporter!!

Nice mate nice!

Top performance from everyone on the weekend. Well done on ur win's Belmo & Kate.

Congrats on the win Belmo, great bowling!

Also to Brando, great effort running second mate. You should have remembered i am only a text message away, i could have lined you up from Moreton Island mate. You know i have always got time for you!

By the way Belmo, i accept Australian shirts, Bowling balls, Brunswick cup cheques etc! Just sign the cheque over to Brisbane IT Supplies!

Also on a serious note, i recommend everyone go and check out what Jase has done with the live scores and photos, they look awesome! Hopefully you will be able to get on and see my dominance over George Frilingos this weekend from Redcliffe!

Kindest regards,
Ronnie

Back
Top Bottom