Respect?

disrespect

Dear dear dear, what have we got going in here .Kids lighten up if most of the senior bowlers disrespected you they just wouldnt talk to you, and would wait for you to leave bowling like 90 % of juniors do, but by involving you in the byplay of "chatting whilst bowling" they are saying welcome to the sport .Please as tom said learn from whatever has been said to you by whomever. As far as not contributing or helping out the juniors i think you are way out of line .I dont know of one person who wouldnt talk with the kids coming through ,we (the more senior players )have over countless years helped with coaching clinics , mentoring, motivational speeches, fundraising and whatever else we can do to help and the only thing that we get out of it is hopefully some more people to play against .
Our sport is in dire need of an injection of fresh faces and it is of no avail if these faces crumble and cry and at the first sign of things not going their way. This has happened to lots of other talented kids who have gone the way of the dodo it was all to hard and left the sport .
People went out of their way to mollycoddle these people and they still left,so maybe a bit of tough love is needed.
I am sure to upset some parents now but those that know me know of my love of the sport and this is said with the best intentions not as a cheap shot.
I have never seen such bad sparing by the youth bowlers coming through it is woeful and as tom was saying you need to keep your opponent under pressure and the only wayto do that is scoreboard pressure.I have been known to throw a few barbs at my opponents but there is no point if i throw 6 2 5 3 4 4 you have to back it up .
as far as the tiredness issue goes give me a break your averages were garbage before you bowled last week so that doesnt sit well with me and if 3 games is to much for you well maybe a nice game of mah jong is in order.
Please understand that this is from the heart and not just for the writer of the original post i am hoping that all the guys coming through can take something from this .Some of the best shots in the competition are coming from you guys and i am totally in awe of the firepower you generate but please understand that this is a small part of the game and without the rest of it you will wither and die .Unfortunately with the proliferation of pro active equipment every man and his dog can strike so that isnt where you guys have to concentrate .Do not practice strikes you will get them until you can spare with your eyes closed a fair league bowler is the best that can be achieved .
As always i am always able to be approached for advice or just a chat as are most of the players .But when the game starts the game starts nothing personal but its a game. Its funny the people who get the most stick from the chatters are usually our best friends so wear it , take it , and live it .

Steve Wimbridge

MIght be that I am sticking my nose in where it isnt wanted, but I feel have to say something. I have known and competed against Stax, Wimpy and Tom (especially Tom) for over 20 years and have seldom met 3 more determined and passionate competitors. On my last couple of trips to the west, I have seen some promising junior and youth talent that unfortunately have suffered from the same deficiencies that nearly everyone else in that category have for many years.

While the comments posted by Stax, Wimpy and Tom are hard hitting, straight to the point and blunt, they are also comments of people who have (and still do) lived the sport, achieved much and want nothing more than to see juniors and youth players prosper so that the sport should prosper. I suspect that if these esteemed FUBAR members had not had some degree of respect for Adrian, Mitchell and the other juniors, they would not have bothered posting the replies that they did. It has been a long standing belief that experienced, elite players have not returned enough to the sport that has given them so much and in many cases, this is true so I feel that you have been fortunate that they have imparted some of their collective experience and wisdom.

I can only hope that the replies are taken in the manner that they were intended. This might sound unkind, but those who can take criticism and learn, improve and succeed are the future of the sport. Those who can't will more than likely fall by the wayside.

I have read, and re-read every single post on here about 5 times, and i think I finally understand everything...

I agree, if noone had a shred of respect for us, then everyone would have ignored this topic, and pretty much just told me how childish I was in posting this in the first place. And I regret saying some of what I said in my first post.

I do think, no, I WAS out of line for saying there was no respect towards us juniors (I'm still a junior till the end of the year) , and again I apologise for that. But I stand by the encouragment part of my last post. For this sport to strive and survive, there has to be alot of positivity and about 0.0000000000000001% negativity.

After reading the posts by Tom, Stax, Steve and Brenton again and again, I now understand what they are saying. I also have the ut most respect for all four, as well as many others in this sport, and in future, I will take any advice given to me by a senior player, or any other bowler, and use it to my advantage.

I will also be at bowling tonight, because I dont believe in speaking my mind, then cowaring away when the shit hits the fan. I also know I'm going get some reactions for what I've said, I've acknowledged that, and I will take all that is dished out.

Thank you all for your comments and opinions, I have had the last week to reflect on everything, and now I understand what is going on.

Adrian

Adrain, you will get little or no reaction. Maybe a pat on the back for understanding whats been going on though.
Listen, learn and improve.

Stax

Back
Top Bottom