Qubica Bowling World Cup - Siberia

Brenton,
Bowling can ill afford to show the world crap. Bowling has precious little credibility in a world full of non-bowlers, playing and watching other sports. Every time it does stuff like this, it reduces whatever cred's are left. If all you can show is piles of 150 av bowlers, turn the bloody camera off and hope nobody notices.That would be better for bowling than having crap for hours on end. They cant even move the camera to a pair where decent players are bowling. Two blocks today on the "feature pair" even had pacer bowlers.
If they want to kill sport bowling totally, keep this up, its working.
The vision is being sponsored by USBC, fair dinkum, this is the body entrusted with the welfare of bowling ? Are they serious

Pete,
What an Elitist attitude
As Brenton states, some of these countries have low standards due to many reasons & can only send what they have (if they choose to send someone). Don't you think that it would be an experience of a lifetine for some of these lower level bowlers to bowl along side some of the best in the world, the World Cup would be one of the very few places this can be done.
You mention about not showing these bowlers on the live feed, you have the choice to turn off, I have also watched a fair bit of the live feed and not noticed the amount of viewers reduce when the pacers or your so called "league bowlers" are shown
I am pretty sure you will find none of the better bowlers mind bowling along side these lower level players, most of them encourage these guy's alot more than the elite as they know it is the World Cup and about the only time they can be on the same lanes and in the spotlight
After all the torunament is named the World Cup, not the "Elite Only World Cup", our game should be for everyone, like Brenton states, this is why they have qualifying, these "league bowlers" would be going away with the experince of a lifetime

Cheers
Colin

Modern successful sports are absolutely linked to elitism and entertainment. Sports which are not recognizing that are declining and many will cease to be sports in the future.
The more elite a competition, the greater the prestige in participating. When a sport has a super elite, event or division, it creates greater desire for people to enter the sport and then continue to strive to attain the next higher level (more elite than the group they are currently in) to ultimately become one of the most elite group who are admired by the greatest number of participants and fans.
For a sport to attract greater numbers of participants, it needs to increase the prestige of the sport by having carefully constructed pyramid of levels where the division between each level is very clearly defined. A competitor must display certain increased skills before being allowed to enter the next higher group.
This creates desire within participants to be more "special" if they can join the next higher group on the pyramid. You may have noticed all the popular sports have a showcase division that only a relative few can participate in and they usually have clearly defined lower divisions which people must attain specific levels prior to being allowed to compete.
This structure is partly the reason why those sports attract a fan base. Those people who do not compete, or compete at a lower level, become fans because they feel in some way that they have joined the elite group when they follow certain teams or individual players. These people wear similar clothing so the world can see that the fan is indeed, part of the elite group. When "their team" wins, the fan feels like they are sharing in the victory.

Bowling has not put in place sufficient levels nor defined them clearly, has not structured itself so it creates desire within the majority of its participants, does not try to present itself to attract a fan base and is suffering accordingly.
This is why USBC should not allow the world to see an event tagged as a "World Cup" and allow standards not befitting the most elite level this sport has to offer.
Not only do they allow much lower level competitors to mix with the elite group, they dilute the prestige of the upper group when they permit many occasions where the maximum level can be achieved (300) . The more people who bowl 300, the bigger that group becomes and the lower the prestige in being among that group.
Finally, I'd like to state, my comments are meant as constructive because I'm trying to do my part in ensuring Bowling is a strong viable sport in the future.

Agree, all sports are linked to elite competiton but that does not mean the lower levels should be shun upon, great example is the Olympic Games, more sports are attempting to get involved, not sure but I don't think any sports are being declined inclusion due to the sport declining to a level of near distiction, if you are the best in your country you can compete, all be it that you are not on the elite level, remember the guy in the swimming a few years back took 3 times as long to complete the course than anyone else (in qualifying), all about competing.
I can see where you are coming from in attempting to ensure bowling is a strong viable sport but I think making an example of the World Cup is not the tournament to make an evaluation from.
You could go on with this discussion forever and a day, but I guess at the end of the day we are going to agree to disagree on many of your points, I truly wish you all the luck in the world in what you are trying to acheive

Cheers
Colin

Roy,
So you are saying watching a 62-0 game is good for a sport ? Or is allowing much lower standard of team/player to mix together in the event, detrimental to the event and the Sports standing ?
As for soccer world cup, how many hoops do players and teams have to jump through to get a start in a world cup ? How few ever get to play in it and how many hundreds of thousands of kids are playing soccer and dreaming of being in the world cup...how prestigious is a Soccer World Cup..slightly greater than bowling ?
Winning is confirming the status into the more elite group (the group within a group), and competing is about giving the winner greater status having beaten a larger group

Roy,
So you are saying watching a 62-0 game is good for a sport ? Or is allowing much lower standard of team/player to mix together in the event, detrimental to the event and the Sports standing ?
As for soccer world cup, how many hoops do players and teams have to jump through to get a start in a world cup ? How few ever get to play in it and how many hundreds of thousands of kids are playing soccer and dreaming of being in the world cup...how prestigious is a Soccer World Cup..slightly greater than bowling ?
Winning is confirming the status into the more elite group (the group within a group), and competing is about giving the winner greater status having beaten a larger group

Although watching Australia demolish the Yanks in the Rugby League World Cup wasn't great to watch. Those guys who played for USA, will go home wanting to get better at the game, so they have a better showing next time round. Do you really think USA sent a team to the RWLC because they thought they could win it? No, they sent a team, to get experience, to learn from it & improve themselves as players.

What about the cricket world cup? Many people, years ago, said teams like Bangladesh shouldn't be allowed to play in the world cup, or play test cricket, until they are better. How are they supposed to get better if they don't play?

Anything that can help participation numbers increase, can only be a good thing. Not saying that this tournament is without its faults, but those lower ranked countries that sent "league bowlers", sent them there to learn more about the game so they can improve.

Seems I'm not conveying the idea here.
I'm saying you need to only display the best possible standard in a showcase event otherwise you damage a sport by greater amount than you gain. If forced to have some lower grade participants included, dont broadcast it to the world.
When you do have worlds best participants, show them in the best light by displaying the most exciting examples of the sport. Do that in a way so that commentary and vision of the event conveys to viewers a high level of excitement to foster adoration and admiration towards the skill levels on display.
Dont dilute the exploits of the best participants by allowing many players to achieve the maximum level.
If you are entrusted with the welfare of a sport, dont allow it to be seen in a poor light using sub standard commentary and weak vision.

I'm in favour of offering players of all skill levels, the opportunity to compete at a level where they can shine in their own right. That does not include allowing people to compete at whatever level they choose. In fact, these different levels and clearly defined pathways to achieve higher and higher standards is exactly what all sports need to make the sport desireable.

I'm not picking on the Bowling World Cup, I'm happy to discuss the problem created from the bottom up where bowling allows a new participant to enter a comp for the first time and have them immediately competitive against the best player in the district, thanks to the handicap system.
It initially intimidates the new player, it is a disincentive for either player to try to improve their skills and it dilutes the prestige of bowling. It also stops the creation of a grading system which removes much of the elite aspect necessary for a sport to keep people interested.
Most people like bowling and it has so many advantages that other sports dont have, yet bowling sport is failing. Emotional reward is one of the most important aspects of any sport, bowling does almost everything to dampen or eliminate it from the sport. It's no wonder bowling struggles to be even considered as a real sport.
Anyhow, writing about it here will not change it.

These bowlers from the not so strong bowling nations deserve to be there. What sort of World Cup would it be if you only let the top few bowl. Its all about having a go for your country. As others have said it happens in all sports. Except in baseball at the so called World Series.
PS. Remember Eddie The Eagle in the Olympics.

Its a noble thing to defend the rights of a few bowlers to attend, but when that comes at the expense of the whole sport by lowering the prestige at a showcase tournament which has no prizemoney and is therefore relying on the prestige alone, it's a misguided sentiment in my opinion.
I'll leave it at that.

1:4 is still pretty generous

On a new lane surface 4:1 can be extremely generous, especially if the majority of the pattern is laid in the forward run of the machine. This loads up the midlane with a heavy load of buffed oil in the middle which opens up the shot in a big way.

On a new lane surface 4:1 can be extremely generous, especially if the majority of the pattern is laid in the forward run of the machine. This loads up the midlane with a heavy load of buffed oil in the middle which opens up the shot in a big way.
Which is exactly what's happening. It's playing like a huge ditch

CAN ANYONE REMEMBER ERIC THE EEL.
MY 5 YEAR OLD CAN SWIM FASTER YET HE GOT TO SWIM AT THE OLYMPICS.

I have to say, both the semi's and finals for men and women were great showcases for the sport, production wise. If we can produce similar quality vision when filming X Games Bowling matches, I'll be happy that we are hopefully, not damaging the Sport's future

Back
Top Bottom