World Team Challenge

Does anyone know who the other bowlers are that are representing Aust at the World Team Challenge in February in Denmark. I read today that Ronald Voukolos is in the team but can't find any other info.

I'll be there wearing the Green and Gold colours. Pencil me in as the anchor bowler.

Wayne...who HAS World team Challenge Televison experience!

The Australian Men's Team travelling to Denmark will be the team who qualified for this event by winning a bronze medal in Hong Kong during the Asian Bowling Championships.

The ladies team although not qualifying in Hong Kong has been elevated to inclusion because of a team withdrawal. Once again the same team who travelled to Hong Kong have been invited to participate.

Pedro..For the record, who's on the team this time around ?
Will it be the original team or the one that included the reserves?

Wayne ( tongue out of cheek now )

Worl Team Challenge

Hey Wayne I reckon if you read the paragraphs posted by Pedro the answer to your questions will most probably be revealed. :? :)

I think he means is it the team that was originally selected ie including Frawls, or is Ronald in ..

Once again, the same teams who travelled to Hong Kong have been invited to participate.

If anyone wants more info they can check out

http://www.wtba.org.my/main.htm

I'm not 100% sure but the $50000 US Storm Challenge in Manilla is around that time since being postponed from December this year. I'm sure the likes of Frawls and Muir won't mind missing this trip for the chance to earn some pocket change, namely $100000 Australian dollars.

I'm a bit dissappointed that the information about this event was not passed on earlier. This event has been on the International bowling calendar for over 12 months.

Based on this, why even select another team for the Worlds next year, just keep this one. The selectors clearly don't want to extend the opportunity to other bowlers in Australia, I think it's best for everyone that we send Australian Ranked bowlers 1, 11, 13, 14, 16. It's clearly the sensible option!

Guys, according to Pedros' post, the team QUALIFIED for the event by placing third at the asians. That would suggest that this team only is eligible. The ladies team was also invited; I would assume that the organisers specifically invited the asian champs team, not 'an Australian team'.

If this is not the case, I welcome being corrected, but that is what Pedro's post (and common sense) suggests.

I guess we have to spell it out.

The Australian Mens Team qualified for the WTTC by winning a bronze medal in Hong Kong and have been invited first to attend, the team invited comprises:
Ronald Voukolos
Jason Belmonte
Billy Gardiner
Mac Stewart
Anthony Flynn
Paul Trotter

The womens team although not winning a medal has qualified on their standings in the team event, the team invited comprises:
Sue Cassell
Amanda Bradley
Ann Maree Putney
Kate Wilton
Debbie Baldock
Cathy Elwell

Pedro

I know they qualified but lets look at realistically, in the FIQ Asain Zone group we would have got an invite anyway. Which would have given us another opportunity to send a different team if we wanted. I know its nice to say WE QUALIFIED but I think we were already going if you know what I mean. The Asain Zone group isn't that strong on a team level.

In my post I was just trying to say that why change the team for the Worlds in 2003, TBA is clearly happy with this one. A bit like the Australian cricket team, you only lose your spot if you stop scoring or you get too old! (no offence chester)

Further,

For what ever reasons if some of the listed bowlers can't make it, who goes??? Frawls and Mike get a run or are they going to select some other random numbers from the National rankings???

Isn't this the World team cup?, An Aussie team at the World team challenge would be good too(and hopefully it wouldn't be decided from a half handicap , half scratch event like that thing in 1993 was, great way to pick a team to face Barnes,Neumann,Healy and Revs and wahtever other hotshots were on the megabuck tour then.... :roll: :roll: :roll: )

Nice attempt George to get people talking about team selection...your getting good at this.

Seriously, the guys in Hong Kong bowled their way into going to the WTC..thats FIQ world team cup, not the Brunswick World team challenge
So that team deserves the right to go and play in Denmark.

The ladies get in because Korea never go and they had qualified (don't know why they would be a great chance) so good luck to them.

Problem is that the trip is costly and players will be paying a large subsidy.
Denmark is a minimum $2200 airfare, accomm is $200 per night for 6 nights.
I'ts $3000 plus per player times 12 plus coaches, managers. Do the math, that's 48,000 dollars. ASC funding will cover some costs but until we become a commonwealth or olympic sport, our sports men and women are going to have to pay. To put it plainly, many countries that have qualified in their Zone have pulled out. Even for many Asian Zone countries with heavy government funding, Denmark is seen to be to expensive to go.

the current team members will have first right of going then I'm sure it will be open to selection to youth and senior training squad members who are interested. With the exception of a couple of bowlers I imagine that most would take the opportunity to go to play in this special event.

As far as the World FIQ team selection goes, that event is not until Sept. 2003...........it's a bit early George to get worked up about it now, isn't it?
AF

George,
From memory teams qualify for this event by gaining a medal not by invitation, invite is only extended to a country if a medaliing country does not accept to attend.......teams for the tournament are made up from the 3 medals in teams event at each FIQ zone championships.........the 6 guys who went to Hong Kong are still our Australian representatives they would be the first to be asked as we were in 2000.........this trip was to be to Costa Rica I think & was to cost each member 4-5k, subsequently a team was not sent.
I also think (not 100% sure) tournament was baker format.
Cheers
Colin Hunt

Back
Top Bottom