Walter Ray Williams jnr to bowl AMF World Cup in November

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Williams to represent Team USA at QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup in Malaysia
United States.

At this point in his career, there aren't many bowling experiences that are new to Team USA member Walter Ray Williams Jr., but when he competes in the QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup this November, he will take aim at a title he's never had a chance to win in the past.

Williams was recently selected to represent the United States in the World Cup, which will take place Nov. 14-21 in Melaka, Malaysia. It marks the first time a professional bowler has represented Team USA in the event.

"I'm definitely honored that I've been selected to bowl, and I hope that I can perform up to my abilities," said Williams, who owns 45 Professional Bowlers Association titles, more than anyone in history. "It would have been nice to do it 15 years ago when I was at the top of my game, but I'm definitely looking forward to going to Malaysia to represent Team USA."

The World Cup brings together more countries than any other tournament on the calendar, and each country sends its best male and female individuals to compete.

"It's a cherished event in the world of bowling, and he's never had an opportunity to go and play there," Team USA head coach Jeri Edwards said. "Walter Ray definitely deserves a chance to go and give it a shot and play with the world's greatest players. He's played everything else, so it's nice that he can go and play something new."

Williams' selection was announced by Edwards at the conclusion of the Team USA men's training camp at the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo., last week.

Interesting George - I assume from the comments in the media release that he is still a PBA member....which I guess makes him the first card carrying player to bowl in what was once strictly a non Pro event. I'm pretty sure there has been at least one instance of an ex PBA member [Hall of Famer actually] bowling - and that was Barry Asher - don't ask me the year...but I'm pretty sure it was in London.....but I'm only going on my pretty shaky memory...maybe Wayne Chester has something on this... he seems to have a pretty impressive store of bowling information?

Is allowing current PBA players [even someone who is past his best] entry to the World Cup a good thing - or a bad thing - I'm not entirely sure....I'll sit on the fence on this one. I'm sure it will generate great PR if noting else.

As I understand it, the FIQ ended the Pros unable to enter their events like the World Championships and so forth. With this though, there is no tournament important enough just for Amateurs. The AMF World Cup was it. All the amateurs will have to resign themselves to the fact that PBA pros will represent the USA in the World Cup now. Its still nice to see the Aussies still have a qualifying tournament in the SPC.

OK Adrian and thx - it was one or the other my memory being what it is - the World Games..is it still going? I remember being in a World Games committee for a while about 100 years ago it feels like - along with Roller Sports and Netball..can't recall what other sports were involved? Anyway I appreciate the correction thx again.

Steve

Cant say ive heard of it since 2001, i think it was in Austrlaia that yr, or was that the goodwill games? Maybe the next few yrs Duke and Weber and others will get their shot at a world cup too

Back
Top Bottom