Pre Bowls???

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flojo

I have just about had enough of Pre Bowls,when i came to werribee i was introduced to pre bowls.What the hell are pre bowls ,use a blind score or the teams got together to bowls that week , thats what happend when i used to bowl many moons ago ,not this pre bowl for the individuals when they want to bowl ,when the condition is at its best and not in league conditions ,i feel its just not fair to all concerned ,ways around this problem is get another bowler on your list who can fill in,or roving sub but not sure how that will work ,i can see things wrong with roving subs, to many people know eachother and like eachother a bit more than the next person. We put in our constitution that we allow 5 pre bowls ,what a joke ..there is a couple of people over 5 people pre bowls already i have found out ,i thought whats in the constitution is what we go by ,if you are shift worker and know you are going to pre bowl more that 5 then you should organise another bowler to fill in for you ,or change nights when it suits you to bowl just not think you can get away with 8 to 10 pre bowls in a season ..i would like to hear what other bowlers think of pre bowls as i have simply had a gut full of them ,just to top it of we have 2 pre bowls to bowl against next week :mad:
regards
Scott Law

Flogo

Pre-bowls are a messy area. If is says in your constitution you are allowed only 5, then 5 should be it. If you have any concerns you should see your league president. Some leagues allow pre-bowls and others ban them.

I am not personally a big fan of them, however I have pre-bowled in the past on rare occasions when I have had another commitment and I have done it because the rules have allowed it. If it was banned I wouldn't have a problem with it.

However I think it's something in bowling that would be very hard to stop. :rolleyes:

Frosty

i do agree if there is a set limit to how many pre bowls you can have you should stick to it if you cant get someone else to bowl i bowl in two leagues 1 allows you to have 5 pre bowls the other is as many as you want which may seem unfair but this league paul trotter bowls with me and being 1 of aussies best he goes away alot in major tournaments so he pre bowls alot . the way i see it if leagues want top quality bowlers the have to take them any way they can .so i am for pre bowls :D :D :D

Hey Scotty,

Personally l have no problems with pre-bowls providing the following is meet:

All bowlers involved are present and bowling - That means if it is 4 person teams then all 8 bolwers are presnt and bowling. That gives both teams the same conditions and a fair playing field. (this goes for singles, doubles, 5 person teams, trios)

all bowlers agree to the pre-bowl

I mean a pre-bowl should not be conducted on your own, as this means that you are not subjected to the changing conditions that you are during league.

I hate the pre-bowl option - i reckon it should be banned. I have heard of Grand Finals being pre-bowled - what a joke.
Shift workers are about the only ones i can think of that may have a genuine reason to pre-bowl. For leagues that are pre-dominantly shift workers, maybe they should look at being able to have more bowlers per team.
For people that may miss a week here or a week there, bad luck - have a fill in bowl for those weeks.
It also seems a joke that your league has a rule in place of 5 per season and that is not being followed.
Good luck Scott - i don't like your chances though.

Gary Black

johnny rotten said:
i do agree if there is a set limit to how many pre bowls you can have you should stick to it if you cant get someone else to bowl i bowl in two leagues 1 allows you to have 5 pre bowls the other is as many as you want which may seem unfair but this league paul trotter bowls with me and being 1 of aussies best he goes away alot in major tournaments so he pre bowls alot . the way i see it if leagues want top quality bowlers the have to take them any way they can .so i am for pre bowls :D :D :D

I Agree with this, i bowl in a league on saturdays and we can only have 10 pre bowls, this interfeers with most tournaments i go in.

xpense said:
Hey Scotty,

Personally l have no problems with pre-bowls providing the following is meet:

All bowlers involved are present and bowling - That means if it is 4 person teams then all 8 bolwers are presnt and bowling. That gives both teams the same conditions and a fair playing field. (this goes for singles, doubles, 5 person teams, trios)

all bowlers agree to the pre-bowl

I mean a pre-bowl should not be conducted on your own, as this means that you are not subjected to the changing conditions that you are during league.
gday lance what if the other team can not make at the same time do you have to forfit i have been put in this spot before and it is unfair

It should be the team asking for the Pre-Bowl that should forfeit, or they just bring in a sub for the person who is unable to bowl.

Personally, l have never bowled in a league that allows individual Pre-Bowls. Have only ever bowled in leagues that require both teams to be present.

After all the reason for subs is for when bowlers are unable to bowl. If you have the rule you can pre-bowl as an individual, thier is no reason for the league to ever need a sub, as the bowler can just pre-bowl for the weeks they can not bowl.

ok what if a bowler requests a post bowl the day of bowling

Hey

I bowl two league that deals with pre/post bowls differently. On Monday's we are allowed individual pre-bowls. I'm not sure if there is a limit to them or not, but i dont see it happening too regularly, so i dont have a problem with it. It is a head-to-head league, where if you use a blind score you forfeit the points for that individual. It can be difficult to find someone to fill in, so i dont see a problem with this, considering there are teams that want to win their point! Although scores may be high when looking at what the individual has bowled, there is also the chance they may be low. There is also the possibility of the opposing team changing their line up so a particular bowler bowls against the pre-bowl. However, i doubt this always happens/or always can happen, depending which side your bowling on, but i'm sure most teams wouldnt mind (They seem pretty friendly!) Although there's the whole argument about not being affected by changing lane conditions as much, i doubt it would have a huge effect considering there are 3 people per team. (Please dont blast me for this!!)

As for friday nights you can post bowl, on the terms that the team organises with their oponents when to bowl, at their opponents choice (if they cannot come to an agreement). May sound fairer, but can be an absolute hassel to organise! (Especially if the opposing team is a little difficult! ;) ) Can be lucky to have everyone turn up, usually someone has to work or has something else on. Good thing about this though is that there are no individual points, otherwise i could imagine a lot of not so happy people!!

Jess

NEWSFLASH:
NSW AND VIC can't make it to ECCC , no need to panic they will PRE-BOWL HA HA HA. (only joking )
Is the way the sport is heading if so bowling has got cancer , i have had enough of turning up to bowl and having to face a pre-bowl which is more often than not miles over average. EG: a bowler with 80 handicap throwing a 800+ with handicap.If the rules say 5 pre-bowls then it is 5 no more , i can bowl well over my average too if i turn up on another night and bowl alone on freshly oiled lanes , which is not what we get during league. Its time to evole from the dark ages , thank god we normally do otherwise each night i leave the bowl and disapear over the horizon i would fall of the edge off the world (maybe cant be sure)
I thought the idea was to compete against each other not not try to beat what was bowled a few nights earlier.I just hope that pre-bowles are a memory when i am bowling in my TWILIGHT.

Christian Pre-Bowls

Pre bowls mean not letting your team mates down........................ ;)

If they are done for worthy causes i dont have a problem with pre bowling such as next week i have to do one because i am stuck with a late shift which finishes at 1.30am YAWNNNN.LOL. :( :( :(

I bowl several times a week and some of my leagues have strict rules on pre bowls and post bowl, where one does not.

My friday night league, for example, only allows pre or post bowls when both teams are present and so long as it is not a positional round. The team who asks for the pre or post may not actually get it. Whether it occurs is upto the opposition, but most teams don't mind it for a genuine cause.

My Saturday league is very different. You can pre bowl whenever you want, on your own or with your partner or with the opposition. But that's what happens in a junior league. Most people hate it if you are pre bowling for no good reason. I had to do two pre bowls for this league and people aren't impressed but as a junior and still at school, it was kind of hard to get out of a Saturday school committment.

That's my two cents.

Catchya all, Bec.

In our Wednesday night league at forest hill we have rules you can pre-bowl but has to be with the opposition and if they say you can pre-bowl with out you thats fine but i only do that cause my 3 sports take up alot of time. But we only pre-bowl when we have been asked other wise your points don't count.

Cheers Chris

what exactly is the problem here??

where i bowl the lanes are always oiled for league wether its social bowling or not. The lanes are oiled at roughly the same time everyday and are always done so they will be as nice as possible to bowl on when the leagues arrive. In this situation if i go in for a prebowl im probably putting myself at a disadvantage, although i only ever prebowl if I have a tournament on. I think that prebowling only becomes an issue when you have the same team prebowling every week for no aparent reason or when more people are absent than are bowling due to prebowls, unless there is a tournament on where most people are going to be absent. Then the league secretary should think about missing the week and extending the season by a week.

Personally I dont see it as an isssue and there really is no need to debate it. Post bowls on the other hand should not be allowed and are not allowed in any leagues where I bowl.

Gatsby a voice of reason ,
THANK YOU.

Get a sub to bowl , im in a trio's team with 4 bowlers so we rotate which works well. If you are a shift worker then you must know you will miss a few nights so its not like it is going to sneak up on you. We allow 5 to a team list and we still cop pre-bowls (give me a break) ive even bowled against a pre-bowled and had a person from that team list come down and watch , and not throw a ball , but im sure they had a good reason , right . Scott i think it is time to start the CAPB ill get the t-shirts printed and we can sell them for $15.
I hope more people reply with their opinion because they are like you know what and we all have them !!!

Can i pre-bowl until the end of the season im sure i can think of about 15 good reasons , how can they say no.

Christian

Pre Bowl is ok as Thirty Ton's Of Grunt say's shift worker's need to play............. :D

Gary........................... :cool:

i say never let your opponent know you have a mental weakness

cause they might take advantage of it, next time they play you ;)

pre bowl, post bowl, who cares, lets bowl!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom