PBA record shattered

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Eugene McCune of Munster, Ind., a 24-year Lumber Liquidators PBA Tour veteran with one title to show for his patience, shattered the PBA Tour nine-game scoring record Monday to advance from 14th place to first for Friday’s Brunswick Pro Bowling Cheetah Championship finals at South Point Bowling Center.

McCune fired games of 300, 253, 275, 279, 279, 279, 236, 300 and 267 for a record total of 2,468 pins, an average of 274.22, to break the PBA nine-game record of 2,367 pins set by Walter Ray Williams Jr. in Tucson, Ariz., in 2004, by 101 pins. With 270 bonus pins for a perfect 9-0 match play record, McCune finished the Cheetah match play round with a total of 5,612 pins for 21 games, claiming the No. 1 position for Friday’s stepladder finals by 226 pins over qualifying leader Ritchie Allen of Columbia, S.C.

Also advancing to the stepladder finals were 33-time PBA Tour winner Norm Duke of Clermont, Fla.; Michael Haugen Jr. of Carefree, Ariz., and Lonnie Waliczek of Wichita, Kan.

Pity tonight's league is only 3 games - otherwise I'd have a go at that.

Good God !! I can't decide whether that's inspiring or an incentive to just give up!!

What a magnificent achievement. It would be almost impossible to do that on a 100:1 ditch, let alone on the PBA.

Just awesome.

That makes my 245 qualifying average in the 1999 western open look rather ordinary.
Great numbers,the yanks are pretty much the best at everything,Except for Cricket and Rugby of course :)
Has anyone averaged over 250 in a tournament in Australia??

Yes Glen I have.... :)

You can see the last 3 shots of one of the 300's by going to pba.com and clicking on the little screen to the right

I had a feeling you would of Averaged 250 sometime in your career george :) Maybe your the only bowler that has achieved that.

I did it too... NSW State masters last year.

But what Eugene did is truly incredible. I might have too see what my nine game streak was, just to appreciate a little more how good they are.

Cheers, Cow

He was bowling that pill down at a fair speed.

Do not know whether to applaud or be critical.

Still a fair feat so I think I will applaud this one.

Rob

I averaged 251 at the Westen Open at Blacktown for 10 games qualifying with 3 different bowling balls, What a ditch that was. A bit embarrassing actually.
Cheers Lovey

I averaged 251 at the Westen Open at Blacktown for 10 games qualifying with 3 different bowling balls, What a ditch that was. A bit embarrassing actually.
Cheers Lovey

Even if its on a ditch,its still impressive bowling,you still have to have the carry to achieve those numbers. Mind you only a few bowlers would average that on a easy condition :)

:pI averaged 254+ at Bondi Junction for 6 games qualifying with 1 only black rubber bowling ball. It was not a ditch. A bit embarrassing really, because it was a bit like cheating, as I never had to worry about how the ball might react to the lane condition. The ball only did what I made it do.

( It's the black ball in the avartar, on the left )

Cheers Lovey

No Tap Tournaments dont count Steve.

i averaged 247 for 16 games at rockdale SPC qualifying in 1987 with a black U Dot
240av at mayfield for 16 games in 1980 using a magnum 8 plastic
won the windsor cup in 1991 with a 244av for 10 qualifying & 242 in the matchplay with a blue hammer

Now Peter's scores were way before Walled up patterns, But I know they used to trim the Bristles of the B90 oiling Machine at Rockdale, to lighten the Load out wide. Having said that I always had trouble turning the ball an inch at Rockdale, I had to bowl like those Ladies in the Australian Masters Final and just point the ball at the Headpin.

But I have always maintained that High Scoring is not a Curse and given the right conditions is completely normal, what I hate is those advocating for Tricking up the Lanes so they won't score.

To add to the High Scoring Tally, Peang Nepomeceno averaged 249 in Qualifying for the Silver Aniversary Tournament at Hurstville Bowl, than when on to Win with a combined 239 average for all games. To put that in perspective, Batson or Kury ran second and third with 213, 211 averages, this was on Wooden Lanes with a Laquer coating and definately NO WALLS but a good Blend. I was always good at Blends, I didn't follow the Century book by just sticking in Shims in the required pattern but I used half and multiple shims as required to get a perfect shape, not stepped.

willey

i averaged 247 for 16 games at rockdale SPC qualifying in 1987 with a black U Dot
240av at mayfield for 16 games in 1980 using a magnum 8 plastic
won the windsor cup in 1991 with a 244av for 10 qualifying & 242 in the matchplay with a blue hammer

Gees thats some good numbers there considering that was done back before reactive balls came into play . So maybe its a myth that averages are higher than of 20 or so years ago??. Seems to me that Bowling averages were just as high as they are now??

Back
Top Bottom