PBA record shattered

Id say 20 yrs ago the players winning tourneys were still averaging similar to todays winners, but your run of the mill league had very few averaging over 200 and no one averaging 220 like we do now. Overall the averages of league bowlers would be much higher now than 20 yrs ago.

If anyone saw the first Plastic Ball Championship in the PBA a couple of years ago, you'd realize the balls mean nothing.

Chris Barnes had a 279 triplicate in one match.

The pros actually liked the plastic, as they didn't have to make big adjustments.

If anyone saw the first Plastic Ball Championship in the PBA a couple of years ago, you'd realize the balls mean nothing.

The pros actually liked the plastic, as they didn't have to make big adjustments.

but what oil pattern was used?

Correct, the balls mean nothing to the pro's as they are deadly accurate.

But to the league hack (as you put it) they are life saving. Coupled with walled up houses they cant go wrong.

Re: Poll - Who was the greatest?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbo300 "What could Ian have done with high tech balls wow!!!! but we will never know"

Maybe not as well. As well as advantages they introduce more variables, which have to be read and adjusted for. They also change the lane conditions faster…..Jim Cross

Re: PBA record shattered
I averaged 254+ at Bondi Junction for 6 games qualifying with 1 only black rubber bowling ball. It was not a ditch. A bit embarrassing really, because it was a bit like cheating, as I never had to worry about how the ball might react to the lane condition. The ball only did what I made it do……..Jim Cross ( 1962)

Re: PBA record shattered

Androooo…..

Could it be that some people can actually bowl?

Androooo…..

Could it be that some people can actually bowl?

That certainly helps.

He was bowling on the Cheetah (Cheater?) oil pattern with the plastic. The conditions were modified by dropping the volume of oil by 50% (may have been more, can't remember) from the "normal" pattern they use.

A good bowler only needs 2-3 boards of area to hit to put on a show.

There is no way in hell, that someone like myself, who with a dodgy knee, screwed wrist, bowls 3 games a week and classes practice as the 10 shots he throws before league, should be able 230+, which I did last season. I only had 3 boards to hit... it's just that they all had an arrow drawn on them. Having some idea on how to read a lane helps too.

I blame the oil machines and techs that put out bumper bowling shots more than the balls.

That certainly helps.

He was bowling on the Cheetah (Cheater?) oil pattern with the plastic. The conditions were modified by dropping the volume of oil by 50% (may have been more, can't remember) from the "normal" pattern they use.

A good bowler only needs 2-3 boards of area to hit to put on a show.

There is no way in hell, that someone like myself, who with a dodgy knee, screwed wrist, bowls 3 games a week and classes practice as the 10 shots he throws before league, should be able 230+, which I did last season.
I only had 3 boards to hit... it's just that they all had an arrow drawn on them.

Having some idea on how to read a lane helps too.

I blame the oil machines and techs that put out bumper bowling shots more than the balls.

Oh, I love that --- I'ts priceless !!

Hi Jim,
When did you stop bowling in tournaments. You must have won a few with averages like that. Did you finish in the late 70's early 80's.
Cheers Lovey

Hi Jim,
When did you stop bowling in tournaments. You must have won a few with averages like that. Did you finish in the late 70's early 80's.
Cheers Lovey

No, mate,
I started sometime in ( I think) late 1961, bowled thru 1962, bowled one league in Footscray in 1963, then got involved in other things, and didn't bowl again 'til 1994 or 5, when I had the Bowl here in Ballina for a while.
Prob 2 1/2 years all up, then 30 something years off.

Bit long in the tooth by then - 61 or 2

Didn't bowl in much back in the early 60s, Bowled in a singles scratch invitational league at Rushcutter Bowl ( It was a big thing at the time )
Think came 2nd in open doubles at first Nationals in 62. Bowled in one of the weekly ( hard to believe now ) prime time TV shows. Won the first Kensington Open ( from a bloke named Guenther Gsodam ). Long time ago. Dont remember a lot.

At the moment, bowling up to $&!^ !! :surrender:

Back
Top Bottom