Palm Bowling

petraids

Eddy
I was wondering about palm bowling ..... Is it legal .

I have a couple of fellows bowling in a league that I'm in now and they are palm bowling and I have seen others in another league that are doing also .

Tell me what you think .

All comments / suggestions are welcomed .

Thanks
Eddy

Why wouldn't it be?

The key fact on a legal ball though, is that the hand must cover the 'thumb' hole

Thanks for your comment , JWHITTY.

Just 1 thing that is puzzling me is ....

Why have holes in a ball and not use them .

Eddy

Eddy, I suppose the holes are on the ball because they'd probably used to use it the traditional way, and now they're just having fun with their old bowl. I've tried it myself, its quite interesting the amount of revs you can get on it. Two handed bowling is also interesting, everyone seems to do it to play and call it the 'Belmo Shot'!

Just because you don't have your fingers in doesn't mean you aren't using the holes.

Generally I think most two handed bowlers use their finger indentations anyway, even if it's only to mark a consistent place to put their fingers... but the placement of holes effects how a balls weights are measured too.

The basic example of this is, that without a thumbhole, the finger/thumb hemispheres are measured from the bridge of the fingers. Once you drill a thumb hole, the finger/thumb hemispheres are measured from the centre of the span.

US Pro bowler Mike Miller, brother of Dana Miller-Mackie, was a palm bowler; never did him any harm!

US Pro bowler Mike Miller, brother of Dana Miller-Mackie, was a palm bowler; never did him any harm!

In fact, it harmed him qite a bit physically. During his no thumb touring days, mike Miller suffered through a good deal of physical pain. To this day, Mike suffers from some serious back problems, which were most likely caused by 'palming' the ball.

Thanks for your comment , JWHITTY.
Just 1 thing that is puzzling me is ....
Why have holes in a ball and not use them .
Eddy

eddy

You have to think about the ball being legal, every ball has to have the 3 main holes and then maiybe a weight hole to make ball legal,

Lets say you bowled a 300 palm bowling but ball was not correct, ie to much side/top weight, ppl would call you a cheat as ball iilegal

Peter

Firstly .... I want to thank you for your comments

I haven't palm bowled yet and probably won't , as I'm an old schooler ... LOL

It seems that there are do's and don'ts for this palm bowling

I would encourage more comments as I think it is an interesting subject

Keep up with your views / comments

Eddy

eddy
You have to think about the ball being legal, every ball has to have the 3 main holes and then maiybe a weight hole to make ball legal,
Lets say you bowled a 300 palm bowling but ball was not correct, ie to much side/top weight, ppl would call you a cheat as ball iilegal
Peter

Not strictly true. A ball has to have grip holes IF GRIP HOLES ARE USED. The regs state that if a hole is not used for gripping then it must be covered or the ball is deemed illegal. IE if a grip hole is not used or covered, then it is considered a weight hole and there is only one weight transference hole allowed under the current regs. One would consider that a ball without grip holes would (in most cases) need a weight hole, unless the ball had less than one ounce of top weight in box condition, then the weight hole would be drilled over or very near the CG

From my understanding, if there are holes in the ball, they must be covered before release. If you're a palm bowlers, i'm sure holes or 'markers' are needed to ensure you're throwing the ball the correct way so it responds the way you want it to.

I've quite often wanted to experiment with just having 4 finger holes and no thumb hole.
Has anyone on here ever bowled with that type of drilling and is it any good?
Had a fair few shots playing with a houseball drilled up like that the other night and found it quite comfortable - much more comfortable than the two fingers no thumb shot anyway.

I want to keep this topic open as I think there would be more comments made about palm bowling

I am open to ALL comments

Eddy

Back
Top Bottom