New addition to the rule book

G'Day Chin,

I have just created a new thread on this topic:

"Wrist devices, fair or unfair advantage?"

It will be interesting to see what people think.

Not entirely sure how this broke off into so many tangents, but then these threads often do. Anyway, I don't believe that questioning a rule change that directly effects people is such a bad thing and is not just people *****ing as always. We do, after all live in a democracy where we are allowed and expected to question rules that we believe to be contradictory to the nature of the business we are in, be it work or sport, or did something happen while I was sleeping last night and we were invaded by Nicaragua or the Taliban??? We DO NOT live in a dictatorship.

As someone who uses an ipod on the lane, I do question the rule and the reasoning behind it (I only use it on the approach and not in the player's area, it is a way for me to focus, is that such a bad thing?) questions that could and should be raised is why it is being introduced?

is it a safety factor? - do they believe people can't hear - that would be a fair cop.

is it an aesthetic factor? - nobody looks good with wires hanging off their head, not a fair cop.

is it a "team factor?" - do they believe that too many people sit in their own little world and ignore the rest of their team? is this not something that team managers should be able to police and create harmony in their own teams?

if I am behind the player's area waiting for my shot to come around, am I competing or am I waiting to compete?

instead of shooting people down for having opinions and caring about the sport they pay a lot of money to play, perhaps you should listen to what they have to say..............a little support goes a long way and will help to stop a lot of juniors leaving behind of the *****y politics that always goes on.

Pixie,

Competing is defined as the moment you start to practice to the moment you put your balls in the ball room or in your car. You dont have to be on the approach to be competing in bowling, just like you dont have to be playing a shot or teeing up to be competing in golf.

I, for one, am very glad this has come in to the "sport" of Tenpin Bowling, purely for the aesthetic factor but a little for the OHS facotr as well. Unless I know that a family emergency is occuring or I am waiting for contact from a friend orfamily member than my phone and ipod stay in the bag and dont come out until I have finished. Its about having the self control to be able to focus without the use of secondary devices. If you need music to focus, do it on the way to the centre, not once you are there.

Just my 5 cents.

Re: Walled Lanes...
Cannot see that that makes a difference after all your opponent is playing on the same pair of lanes with the same conditions
Huh..? A lane condition couldn't possibly favour one style of player over another? Riiight...

I thought the sport was about adjusting to the conditions
Not adjusting the conditions to the bowler

Jason wasn't disagreeing with that statement. And without knowing for sure, I'd take a guess that he'd actually agree with it.

However, some conditions do favour certain types of bowlers. Some patterns require deep inside angles, some strokers simply can't create the angles required. So even the strokers who do see where to play, but simply can't, regardless of how well they adjust.
Just as an example. I don't think it's always done on purpose, but rather the bowlers wanting a range of patterns to compete on, which is understandable, and a whole lot of different lane surfaces and topographies which further dictate where to play the lane, which, unfortunately, is unavoidable.

Cow

Thanks for getting back to the issue, Cow. And nicely put. If the shot is on the 27th board, then odds are Belmo or Jason Walsh will hit it better than most strokers. Put out on the edge and Cow becomes a real handful. Put it on the edge on the left and a fella named George is pretty handy. Give a guy his "A" game and he gets comfortable, understanding the moves, the ball changes, and the carry angles innately.

Back
Top Bottom