Juniors in Senior Leagues

Rat420

x_"+He Hi+m4n"_X
Hi guys, i was just wondering what you all thought about junior bowler bowling in senior leagues. i have heard lots of things why juniors shouldnt be allowed such as why cant seniors bowl in junior leagues if juniors can bowl in senior leagues. anyways i was just after your opinions on this topic???

i bowl in a adult league tuesday nights and im a junior..

at one stage they wanted to put an age limit of 18 and over on it,
but it was a draw on the amount of votes... i think that if they put an age limit on 1 adult league then they would have to do it too all..

i know i take in alot from bowling with the adults, my mental game has picked up sooo much.. im focusing more.. so im bowling better, most nights.

in my opinion... i dont think that it should be a problem...
as long as they are mature and know how to handle themselves. If they are gonna muck around and be stupid then no.. but it is good for experience..

cheers,

yeh lets see the senoirs bowl with bumpers aye!!!
LOL
jokes
nah i bowl in an adult league and they dont care
if ur good enuff i dont see why us junoirs shouldnt be allowed to bowl them!!!!
it not like they turn away juniors from adult tournaments!
sooo dont ee why people r sayin it shouldnt be allowed!!!!

cheers
chris

I bowl in 2 adult leagues myself and they're all pretty welcoming and friendly about having juniors in there. I guess sometimes it depends on the different rules of the leagues and what each different league likes to have, but I think most ofour leagues welcome juniors.

I think that having juniors in adult leagues is not only a great challenge for the up-and-coming younger bowlers but is great experience for them to learn and find out what it's like. Another great thing is that I think it might encourage some juniors to keep aiming higher and to keep striving for bigger and better goals with their bowling. This sort of thing really gives them the opportunity to setthe bar higher and to possibly gain more confidence with their bowling. All-in-all, this can be a massive encouragement to juniors. I know it is for me personally :)

The more knowledge and experience the better I say! :)

Hooroo

Rowey :p

Another great thing is that I think it might encourage some juniors to keep aiming higher and to keep striving for bigger and better goals with their bowling. This sort of thing really gives them the opportunity to setthe bar higher and to possibly gain more confidence with their bowling.

The problem is, when the league in question teaches some of these juniors too sandbag, so unfortunately Rowey this particular league isn't encouraging juniors to strive for bigger and better goals.

just wondering rat.... did u mean to distinguish between adults and snrs? because i bowl in adult leagues and no-one cares but most centres can get pretty strict about SENIOR leagues and tourni's... such as only seniors ie over 50s etc...

ok.so a little about me.

im 18, been bowling seriously since i was 6, and i've gone to my fair share of local and interstate tournaments.

majority of my leagues since i was 14 have been adult leagues. i currently bowl at mt gravatt on wednesday nights, and mt warren on friday nights... and i guess they are what you would consider "adult leagues".

I personally do not see a problem. it only gets the juniors ready for bigger and better things. alot of them look up to the adult bowlers, and i have seen many adult bowlers take juniors under their wing.

in all the adult tournaments i have bowled in, juniors have been more than welcomed into the tournament, in fact, they have been sought after.

to get bowling back into shape, we all need to encourage young bowlers into the sport, or at least into the competitive side to bowling.

i agree with what chris said. if your good enough, why do you care if juniors bowl?

and just to add to that, it shouldnt matter. i know lots of juniors that could kick the adults butts.

dont be scared of a little underage competition.

i thought we well talking about Seniors league, not adult leagues first:confused:...

firstly... I have never seen a senior league, but seniors league should only by for the seniors league.. thats what i reckon(only because they have a card saying senior)

juniors in adults...
i cant see the problem with, they pay the same money, its not like they are getting a discount(but a junior discount card would be good, just like the senior card:)) lol...

me being a old fart now(youth)... but last year i bowled in 3 adults league.... but i had to drop one and in all of those leagues, i felt very welcome...

Im nearly 17 and i have been bowling for 9yrs.

I have been bowling in an adult league for about 5yrs.

The only reason i do bowl in an adult is because there is no competition for me in the junior leagues, not to sound cocky or nothing but most junior leagues (most, not all), the average of the league is 140ish.....

Now when im averaging around 170-180 well its not to much fun bowling in a league thats only averaging 140.....

I love bowling in the league that i am in at the moment, It gives me something to aim for, makes me work harder. There is about 5 juniors in the league and we all give the adults a run for their money, it makes the game more interesting.

Thats why i bowl in an adult league anyway.

Cheers Chrissy

i've been bowling in an adult league for about 4-5 yrs now.
Like Chrissy said most of the junior leagues aren't challenging enough for state representatives.
I joined an adult league just for the challenge because bowling against more experienced people is a great way to lift your game

hey,
im 13 and i bowl in a adult league and i did last year to. they dont mind. im not getting in their way and theyre not getting in my way so it doesnt bother anyone. i like bowling in adult leagues coz its a bit more fun that if you bowl in a league with a bunch of idiots that bowl in the teen leagues. its also a bit better for me to bowl in an adult league coz im bowling with some experienced bowlers so they can help me and tell me what im doing wrong.

thanks for your opinions guys. there are certinaly differernt opinions on the topic no matter where you go. any adults that visit this forum could you also place a comment on how you feel about juniors bowling in adult leagues.
Thanks

At my local bowling alley they brought in a rule several years ago that if a junior was bowling in an adult league then they would have to pay the full adult rate as opposed to the special junior rate for a certain league.

As a former treasurer of a league myself it gave me plenty of headaches trying to sort out the total amount of money each week with adults & juniors paying two different amounts.

As to juniors bowling in adult tournaments, if they want to do that then i say let them do it.

Back in 1996 when i was 15, i was the only junior in a league full of adults and within a month or so of starting this league on friday nights i had bowled my first game over 200. 225 to be precise.

What made it more special for me was apart from the fact that my mother saw me acheive this, the other adult bowlers that i was playing against came up to me and offered me their congratulations for having bowled such a good game.

My point is a junior can learn a lot from bowling in a league consisting mostly of adults.

I certainly learned a fair bit.

Well my opinion is that....well my home centre has only two junior leagues and one has an age restriction of under 16 but i grew out the junior league beacuse my handicap was so low i got sick of losing! HAHA.
But I don't really see anything wrong with this. The only leagues i bowl in are adult leagues and there are no complaints of juniors bowling in it....because there aren't that many of us but that's not the point. I reckon it's good cause it gives the juniors something to work towards cause half the time you end up beating the adults!!! Haha. Besides it shows that just because your a junior doesn't mean your a pushover...Well that's my two cents.

Thanks
Sean

Hi
I bowl at Keon Park in Melbourne. We have had one of the strongest junior shield teams for years. All of our juniors are encouraged to bowl in adult leagues. In fact most of those leagues support the many President shield bowlers who have progressed that far. with fund raising and the like. I say go for it and most of all enjoy it.
Phil

Along with most people i bowled adult leagues from about 13 years old.
Its better competition but also i found it stops young kids being intimidated.
I bowled in the best adult league at the time Amflite at Moorabbin,
Bowling against the best the state had to offer & now I can take most stuff on the lanes.
Such as little off putting things people will say and that.
Plus it teaches you how to bowl and respect others on the lanes and become not only a better bowler but a better sports person.

Its the best thing my parents did pulling me out of my junior league, I saw how great some of the bowlers were and just made me more determind to improve.
Getting encouragement and also little hints from others always gives young kids a buzz too.

You can only give it a go and see if it works for you i guess.

ok.so a little about me.
im 18, been bowling seriously since i was 6, and i've gone to my fair share of local and interstate tournaments.
majority of my leagues since i was 14 have been adult leagues. i currently bowl at mt gravatt on wednesday nights, and mt warren on friday nights... and i guess they are what you would consider "adult leagues".
I personally do not see a problem. it only gets the juniors ready for bigger and better things. alot of them look up to the adult bowlers, and i have seen many adult bowlers take juniors under their wing.
in all the adult tournaments i have bowled in, juniors have been more than welcomed into the tournament, in fact, they have been sought after.
to get bowling back into shape, we all need to encourage young bowlers into the sport, or at least into the competitive side to bowling.
i agree with what chris said. if your good enough, why do you care if juniors bowl?
and just to add to that, it shouldnt matter. i know lots of juniors that could kick the adults butts.
dont be scared of a little underage competition.
awesome post
I couldnt agree more. I think we should actually encourage the better juniors to join adult leagues so they continue to improve their games against stronger competition.
Look at our Twin Tour up here theres lots of juniors bowling in it, they just get on with it and bowl and more often than not are very competitive.

If junior bowlers aren't encouraged to continue as they improve,then they will be lost to the sport.

Both my children needed to progress into tougher leagues and were not welcome in the adult league to start with....so I had to throw a ball down the lane for the first time to make up numbers in the team.
(I refrain from using the word 'bowl' a ball, as it was never that!!)

Needless to say my children gained acceptance early on and I could retire with the little dignity I had left. But this type of experience can turn juniors away from the sport.

Leanne.

I can actually remember the days when as a junior, you were strictly prohibited from bowling adult (money) leagues, if you did bowl in them, you were disqualified from juniors.
It was the only reason I never left juniors at 12 to join the adult leagues, because I wanted, in the future, to play in President's Shield.
I'm not 100% sure if it was the same over on the mainland (most likely was), but down here they changed the rule in early 1990 to allow juniors into the adult leagues.
I was about the first junior to bowl in Sponsors League which had run for 27 years to then, and was the state's biggest league at that time (and is still running, albeit it's crap now).
It was the best thing they ever did for us younger players who fancied our chances out there on the bigger stage, we could test ourselves against the men and against all of the best players going around back in those days, as opposed to being stuck playing in junior leagues where bad habits could sneak in and the competition was a bit stunted (IE: you could bowl crap and still win, whereas if you did that in the adults you'd get your arse handed to you on a plate)
The knock on effect of that 1990 rule change was that the better players by-in-large all deserted the junior leagues in favour of adult competition, which aided most of those players immeasurably.
It did however, leave smaller numbers of young up and coming players to their own devices in the junior leagues, those who perhaps didn't feel comfortable playing in 'the seniors' just yet.
Many of those got bored with juniors and tried adults eventually and didn't like the seriousness of it and quit not long after.
It had its pro's and cons - and now there isn't a 'proper' 3-game junior league left down this way.

Back
Top Bottom