Juniors in Senior Leagues

It had its pro's and cons - and now there isn't a 'proper' 3-game junior league left down this way.

yeh junior leagues are just usually 3 game. well here in bundaberg, queensland anyway. its hard to find a 3 game junior league these days.

I am an adult and have been for many years. All of the leagues in the centre I bowl in are "öpen" meaning adults & juniors compete together and I am not aware of any that have major problems with juniors in the leagues. The most common problem is very young or inexperienced juniors competing and not knowing the basic etiquette/give way rules. They seem to be bowling with parents who are also beginners and our Centre tends to suggest that they all go into beginner leagues to learn the basics before joining the more established and experienced Open leagues.

With the age discrimination rules currently in force I can't see how a league can only have adult bowlers in it unless exemptions have been applied for. Although I can see how an "adult" league can make it very difficult and uncomfortable for juniors to bowl in it.

Personally I have no problems with juniors in the leagues I bowl in provided they (and adults as well) know the bowling etiquette and act appropriately.

i just realised that i made another error in my last post so this may save some confusion
sorry

yeh junior leagues are just usually 2 game. well here in bundaberg, queensland anyway. its hard to find a 3 game junior league these days.

i havent bowled in a junior league for the last 4 years and i dont age out till after next year lol..

i like it because in an adult league its more competative (depending on the league) and you learn a whole lot more.. about bowling in general just by talking to the adults..

another thing is that an adult from the league will and should have a go at a junior
for kicking and punching stuff on the lanes and in the players area wen they throw a crappy shot, where a junior wont
and then the kid thinks its cool and will always do it. Generally most juniors in adult leagues dont do this.

:D

another thing is that an adult from the league will and should have a go at a junior
for kicking and punching stuff on the lanes and in the players area when they throw a crappy shot, where a junior wont
and then the kid thinks its cool and will always do it. Generally most juniors in adult leagues don't do this.

I Agree, Juniors That Bowl In Adult Leagues, Are Generally More Disciplined, and you don't see them kicking the ball returns and throwing stuff (normally).
There is a few people in my junior league that do this, and normally, they will get jumped on about it. Because its really not called for. If You Throw A Crappy Shot. Deal With It Because If You Don't Learn From Your Mistakes, Then You Will Never Improve!

Having heard this discussion lots of time over the last few years. It was set for some leagues that I knew about that you had to be 16 to bowl in the adult leagues. It came down to the fact of the maturity of the junior bowlers rather than how good they actually bowled. I used to bowl in an under 25s league and it used to really annoy me that the 12-roughly 17 year olds would run backwards and forwards talking to friends and flirting with others and you'd have to scream at them to get them to come back and bowl.

I think that it should come down to individual leagues setting their own rules and voting it into the constitutions. I only bowl in adult leagues now and we have to let the juniors bowl with us because there just isn't the interest there for junior leagues now. I have to say that most of these juniors do do the right thing and do take it seriously.

I don't see it as a bad thing. In fact, it's probably the best thing that can happen to a junior. Bowling against people who are better than you is the best & most effective way to learn, besides being coached. & even then some people learn better by watching rather than listening.

The problem is, when the league in question teaches some of these juniors too sandbag, so unfortunately Rowey this particular league isn't encouraging juniors to strive for bigger and better goals.

Hi Geoff interesting response to Richard's question about Juniors in Adult Leagues (which I have only just read) are you referring to our leagues or other centres leagues?

Lynn

Im 18 years old, and bowl with another 18 year old, and a 16 year old. We bowl in an adult league and as it stands, we are in first place, with the highest team average. We have had no complaints, as of yet, :p and most other teams look foward to actually bowling with us. We always have a great time and thrive underthe pressure of bowling with our centres better bowlers. :D

Back
Top Bottom