Interstate rivalry

milkman

Very touchy subject, especially when President Shield/Walter De Veer/Rachuig trials are almost all completed.

I ask myself the same question when I see or hear it, why does it occur? I dont mean the rivalry of team vs. team on the lanes, that is naturally part of any sport. I mean the blatant attempts to put off other teams with stupid and careless comments, before a ball is even bowled.

There is a very fine line between some light hearted comments, and total negativity. Unfortunately, the internet makes it sometimes impossible to understand whether someone is joking around or not.

The one thing that upsets me more, is the rivalry between fellow teammates on a national level, that originate from different states. I saw this at the asian schools weekend (no names will be given) at a social level, but not at a competitive level.

So I am guessing I am asking the question, does rivalry affect state and national teams? Whats the best way to get over it? Should it be accepted, or resolved as quick as it's found?

This is a serious topic. Any reply to this post with stupid replies like "Qld will always be better than Vic" will be instantly deleted, I am not starting this topic to create rivalry, its just a discussion.

Hey Milkie - Queensland is going to whoop Victorias ass this year .. and if you delete this one ill delete you :p

It depends. Sometimes rivalry can bring out the best in while at other times it can put you off your game. No matter what there will always be some type of rivalry going on. Whether it's between States or individual people. Yes sometimes it can get quiet out of hand especially in tourniment but all you have to do is learn to ignore it and get on with your bowling

Kerry-Ann who bowled vin the asian school b team found all the girls she bowled with very easy going and great to get along with, but as she said in the try outs its every man 4 himself/herself, and if u can find a way to put ur aponent off use it. that was the only time she mentioned rivalry.there was 1 girls she did not get along with ,i think no1 got along with her.

p.s.
S.A. is going to take the shield home
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmm...I think it's part of any sport now. Things jsut get so competitive, that some people will stoop to any level to win. I will admit, there is nothing wrong with giving somebody the needle, saying things like. "Geez..you see that ball take off real early?? I'd be careful of that if I were you." Now, unless you're bowling against someone that is fully into their game, that can have an effect. I've done that many times, and the usual result is my opponent throwing it out a bit more, or speeding up, and bang, washout or 2-8-10. One up there!

But I will draw the line at getting personal about people. It's all well and good, and I'm sure Milkie will back me up here, that if you know the people pretty good, you screw around a fair bit.....By the way Milkie, your Mum says HI!!
icon_biggrin.gif
But when you really have to dive deep into peoples life, to try and get an edge, that's wrong. It is a sport after all, and no sport is THAT important.

And just remember......never dish out, more than you can take back!

It's part of the game. It makes the team competition unique and interesting.
People know what is accepted and what is over the line, thus a middle ground needs to be achieved.
Without the rivalry the sport would just be TOO boring.
If you want to be anal retentive about it, bowl individual tournaments.
Otherwise enjoy the entertainment of exchange...
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_eek.gif

Yours in:
actively promoting the sport to the general public as a valid spectator sport, seeking the lighter moments in bowling and seeing them for what they are,
leese
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

hmmmmmm.....Interesting

I think rivalry is good in its place but resorting to methods like trying to put your opponent off their game to win is just sad!!

If that's what you have to do to win i don't think it says much about you at all i mean would you be satisfied and happy with winning an event if that's what you had to do to win and could u holdyour head up high like a true champion????

I couldn't......just some food for thought!!!

--) oo)

Cam Cam Cam

In America they call it talking " SMACK ". It has been around since the sport started and I see no reasons why it will cease. It is part of every sport at every level. Accept or not, unless you learn to deal with it you'll never survive.

Rachuig in Australia is as good as it gets for talking smack. It's never anything personal but more about the bowlers game or particular shot (in your case it may be different). It's all in good fun and after the event we all get together and have some drinks and laugh about the 3 days just gone.

In summary, Queensland is going to kick Victoria's arse and tell your mum to get the tattoo of the letter Q put on her right arse cheek instead of left for me. You know you like it!!!!!

GO QUEENSLANDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pluto:
and if u can find a way to put ur aponent off use it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Such a shame that people must rely on Tactics rather then ability

Unfortunately thats the way it is..

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote:</font><HR> Buffy

posted 26 April 2002 05:02 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
hmmmmmm.....Interesting
I think rivalry is good in its place but resorting to methods like trying to put your opponent off their game to win is just sad!!

If that's what you have to do to win i don't think it says much about you at all i mean would you be satisfied and happy with winning an event if that's what you had to do to win and could u holdyour head up high like a true champion????

I couldn't......just some food for thought!!!

--) oo)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 2 | From: Central Coast, NSW | Registered: Feb 2002 | IP: Logged

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well my young friend plenty have done it over many years in every country.

I wonder if you could ask some of the Worlds best if they feel ashamed to hold up a US MASTERS or Firestone Trophy with shame.

I was once told by an ex touring pro (ho can remain nameless) they did it all the time.
Dragging their heels on approaches to leave rubber on their opponents line then bowling somewhere different.

What you as a player need to do to is
* combat this is experience it
* take it in
* then throw it
* and get mentally tuff

Cause if theres a weakness exposed more players would use it rather than not

Good Luck

Well every 1 i got my fingers rapped for syaing what i thought happenrd in avery sport so ill appologise and retract every word of it.
S.A. will kick everybody asses this year in shield
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Milkman,

President Shield would not be same if there was not the rivarly between the states it is all usually in good fun. Sometimes it can get out of hand and this is where you have to be careful. And i am guessing it is the same in adults as george said after it is all over everyone is talking and drinking together.

As far as the internet as you said sometimes ppl dont know when other ppl are joking and so forth because it is hard to tell when writing something down. and as we have seen there have been a few debates on this forum about nothing really over silly things but this will always happen.

I dont belive that there should be any rivally in teams tho.. This is a big no no once the teams for state or national is selected those teams members should be there for one another and not putting each other down. Fair enough when joking around everyone has a crack shot and anyone. But this is off the lanes and just for a laugh... which i am sure we will have many of in thailand. i know that all of the teams i have been in the team has got along well and it has been great.

So remember cam when we are overseas be nice to me
icon_smile.gif
i am your team mate hahaha

And because everyone else has had there opinon the NSW team will win with who ever makes it
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

TO WHAT THE

if i remember right pluto was a dog,and micky mouse his owner i could be wrong better ring walt disney and make sure.
icon_smile.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

WHY do we bowl for our States?
Surely its not the huge dollar incentives that we receive so it must be because we actually love bowling and we want to win.
I want to win at all cost's when i bowl for my state and if sometime's u have to use mental tactics to win then so be it.
If your not mentally tough then your not prepared enough.

The Ref
icon_cool.gif

If its too HOT in the KITCHEN get out!

Dont like it, dont listen to it.... Cause u cant stop ppl from doing it!

I loved pressie shield.... i served a S H I T load and i was dished some up too...although some were just lame attempts... i just had to laugh at!
but it was all in good fun and humor!
The best tool i found is to Ride your oppenents lane...and get right in there face WITH YA HELLS YEAH...didit...loved it..... and ill do it again if i get a chance HAHAHA

LOVE IT

laaaaaaaater

Yoh Milkman..Rivalry..."very touchy subject" has to be an understatement...thats a compliment.
Im surprised really that this topic hasnt been raised before.Well done.
Wanting to win,how to win,wanting someone else to win,boy how complex are the answers.
Im from the school that says its in your bloodline.
I dont know about that crowd that comes from Venus,but i sure know about the boys from Mars.
Let me explain about black and white just in the Fubar team.
Bin Scoops is from the.."Can appreciate a good effort from the opposition" and will let opponent know as well.
Bin Wimpy is from the "I can appreciate a good effort from the opposition" but he will pay for it/and earn it, to the last frame.
Bit off in your face as your doing it.
The former leaves you out to hang..like giving you enough rope to hang yourself.
The latter shows you the rope each shot.
Which leads me to the point,every Mars man (the hunter) is looking for the kill.Just adopts different methods.
"Very touchy subject"..its right up there in the grand finals with..."What does it take to win".
Ive seen cool players loose their cool,quiet bowlers explode,negated the opposition/spurred them on.
Rivalry is great when whatever tactic you implored wins.
It can be silence/it can be in your face.
Silence means you were in your own zone,in your face means you werent in your zone,but doing everything possible to get into your zone.(Like McInroe)& Wimpy..as a team member we can see that..so we dont discourage it .
I see the opposition as tools,nothing personal.I, like everyone else, wants to fullfill their own dreams..i want to strike when it counts,double to win,and if my opponent gets a jag strike,i swallow,...after two,the gulping is harder,the third,and steam comes out."The moustache starts to bristle".
Dont dare smile if you are the opposition.
The one lession i have learned over the years is......dont start the rivary before the game begins.
The rest...talk..its cheap...no class.
We,re bowlers...lets do it on the lanes.
Hunter against hunter,frame by frame,bowling is abit like slow motion fencing,each frame is a point to be made.
Bring on your best shot..if you can...i,ll match it,or better.
When i need a strike to win,do you really reckon i give a stuff what State your from,or who you are.
Nor do you.
Theres no right or wrong,some do it crudely,others with finess..the bottom line is..they are doing for themselves..the trick to overcome this ...is...do what you need for yourself..if screeming at your opposition will improve your game..scream.If not,dont scream.
Sad to say..but the bottm line is that its a mercenery sport..some call it .."Singles"..ie no one else will pay the bills.
30 yrs in bowling..and im still learning.
For the first time i am bowling in a trophy league,$50.00 1st prize..each...and im learning that a jag strike is nothing to gulp about,the joy on the opposition tells a story,especially if you have a 75 h,cap.
What have i learnt..next t,ment when a 200 av. bowler jags one..ill think,poor idiot ..hasnt a clue what they,re doing.I can win this game.
Dont ya just love it.

Tom Kury....

truly wonderful...
An amazing piece of writting....
was a PLEASURE nae PRIVILEGE to read...

TRUE THAT

laaaaaaaaaaater

Milkie,

When you het to a certain level in bowling, there is not much tjat seperates one competitor to the next, and the next, and the next.
There comes a point where ones physical game is so evenly matched against your oponent that the mental side of the game kicks in.

Its times like these that the bowler with the better mental game, who can either rebound from a bad score, or handle the pressure the best will usually prevail.

using someones mental game against them is one of the best techniques to put your oponent off, and if you look closly enough it is used in almost every tournament by most bowlers.

ha that was a good 1 reggie!as it says u r from sa i was 1dering if u know me and if perhaps i know u. just let me know who u r as im intersested

Back
Top Bottom