Some information needed please

THIS IS A GREAT IDEA AND WOULD BE GREAT TO BOWL IN JUST ANOTHER IDEA WHAT ABOUT INTRODUCING A JUNIOR BOWLER TO EACH TEAM AS THIS WOULD ALSO STOP STACKING AND GIVE SOME JUNIORS A CHANCE TO BOWL WITH SOME OF THE BEST BOWLERS AROUND ONLY AN IDEA.

I'm sure there have been some great ideas mooted around to try and help resurrect bowling, but surely this has to be one of, if not, THE best, and there are some other great ideas being thrown in to help out.

It's a question of how the teams get picked to try and make it an even playing field.

The first thing is... it has to be greater than a team of 5, even though the team would only be represented by 5 people at any one tournament. The simple fact is that not everyone involved is going to be able to bowl in every tournament. have a squad of 10 and then nominate the 5 bowlers whose scores will count at any particular tournament prior to that tournament commencing.

There have been plenty of suggestions regarding the makeup of teams to try and make it fair, and I reckon this is probably going to be the most difficult aspect to sort out. Separate previous winners, only one rep. player per team, etc. etc...

Most really successful tournaments are a success because of the locals. It would be nice if there could be some way of favouring local bowlers to give them more encouragement to bowl in their tournaments. I'm not exactly sure how this would work, but it's worth putting out there.

This really has huge potential to re-invigorate the tournament bowling scene in Australia. This is only my second year of tournament bowling, and seeing an idea like this put forward makes me think I've started competitive bowling just at the right time.

It would add a HUGE amount to the atmosphere of the tournament scene, as you will have a team environment while still bowling for yourself.

BRING IT ON

Jase, as usually you have come up with a great idea to help promote the sport of bowling. This concept has no boundaries on how large it could become. It is a simple idea which is relatively easier to out together with so many benefits for all involved.

It will be difficult to set the criteria for teams but not impossible, i would say only 1 mens team member is a good start. The rankings is another method..maybe have a different rankings just for the teams...eg, no double ranked, triple ranked events etc..this could create a draft like group of bowlers. Eventually could work it out so the last place team get 1st draft pick???

Anyway however it is done it should be great...support it 100%

The first thing is... it has to be greater than a team of 5, even though the team would only be represented by 5 people at any one tournament. The simple fact is that not everyone involved is going to be able to bowl in every tournament. have a squad of 10 and then nominate the 5 bowlers whose scores will count at any particular tournament prior to that tournament commencing.

Thats a good point you would have to have more then 5 in a team. 10 would be to many i'd say 7 or 8 would be best.

Jase,

This is an awesome idea!!!!!!!!

Perhaps one way to even out the teams would be to give each player a value and have each team capped at a certain value. Its kind of like making your own dream team and having a salary cap.

For example (in the last two years) - National Mens Team - 10pts, National Womens or Youth Team - 9pts, Won a National Event in last two years - 9pts. For all other players who nominate for the "draft" Jase could give them a value (which could be 9pts or 10pts anyway) and have each team capped at a certain points total for their squad.

This player pool could then be listed on Totalbowling and all of the team owners/managers could then select their team from this pool. I like the idea of having to have at least one female player in the team as well as at least one junior/youth player. This way you are going to have a mix of national team members and some of the ladies and younger players as part of your team.

If a player is sponsored by Qubica and Glen puts in a Qubica team, perhaps Glen could have the first right to selecting any of his players as part of his team with any remaining sponsored players from Qubica going back into the player pool. This would only apply to any player who has a current sponsorship deal and would in turn allow these players to turn out for the ball company they are being looked after by.

I cant wait to see how this turns out as it will no doubt add some excitement to the bowling scene..

If you have a team of 5, could there be a minumum of 1 Male, 1 Female and atleast 1 Junior or Youth as well as the Rep Restrictions?

Sounds like a good idea Jase!

What about a draft/player pool more like the IPL? At the start of the season, the Team Owners/Managers and the Team Captains (a National Team Member?) get together, and one-by-one they choose their teams from a pool of nominated players (could be televised?). You may end up with more than one National Team Member on any team, but this would only happen if that particular player is passed up by other teams earlier in the selection process.

Whilst i like the idea of not stacking teams, i think that its very important that we dont make it impossible to have a good team.

If this was a fantasy thing then i would not care how strict the rules were but bowlers want to be apart of a team they want to be in.

Asking 1 lady, 1 youth and 1 jnr in your team...well what if i dont know any youth bowlers, or what if i have 5 buddies who are willing to front up and all want to be in the team???

KISS (keep it simple stupid) i think is a phrase that needs to be used!

Belmo

It does only include bowlers who travel to interstate competitions who will go into a player pool, to be picked up by certain team managers…

Hi all, I think the concept is excellent but just wanted to make a comment, and ask for feedback, as to how this tournament proposal will encourage the "fringe / nearly ready / bowler" to now want to commence tournament bowling?

Could there be a condition that 1 or 2 of the members of the team have NOT competed in say, more than 3 Nationally Ranked tournaments? Just looking for comments.

Andrew Campbell

I started to mention this in a topic the other day, if we had "amateur" and "professional" status' we could say there must be at least one amateur in the lineup...

Great Idea would definitely be interested in having a team, if you have 8 to select a team of 5 from . Could you have it that the 5 you choose averages add up to a set amount and not over that.
Cindy Donnelly
Garden City Lanes Toowoomba

I think the idea is GREAT (as i have said previously in the thread).

One user did mention the use of "capping" your team by using a point system.

So you could work your team of say 8, with a maximum point value of say 60 points. and have a table of points like such:

Aus Rep: 9-10 points
National Event Champ: 8 points
State Rep: 6-7 points
Rankings Points: 5 points
State Event Champs (sports series etc): 4 points

etc etc

Capping the team around 60-65 points will restrict the amount any one team can be "stacked". And have your implications in place that each team must include a female and junior/youth bowler.

I think it will work best if you put out nomination forms for any interested bowler to put into a player pool for selection (like the IPL). And then have all team managers select their team in a meeting or conference call.

So you could have 5 different player pools, where your competing team must have a certain amount of players from each pool. And at each tournament, you are allowed to use 40 points of your team "cap".

The issue of "if the manager will pay for tournament entries", i agree with what others have said and that if the team manager and the player(s) come to some agreement, good on them, but the bowlers interested in doing this (a bit crazy if your not) pay for tournament expenses themselves anyway, so it wouldnt be too much of a problem).

Like BELMO said, this idea WILL work, and as can already be seen, in little over 24 hours, the response has been great.

Count me in to bowl when this gets off the ground and im sure i can arrange a few companies here in the west who would be interested in putting in a team or two.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom