How to promote bowling?

John_Velo

G'Day All,

Well after hearing the latest revelations of Australian Sports Commission and seeing that so many sports full of drugs, drug cheats and illegal gambling, is now the time to push bowling with new slogans.

"Bowlers Dope Free" or "Bowling, the great drug free sport"

Already other sports are pushing that their sport is clean, promoting their sport, Beach Volley Ball on National TV saying they are clean.

Now is a good time to hit the screens.

What slogan would you use?

Bowling just cheats with the modern bowling balls, and they are allowed in the rules. It's why bowling has no cred left.

Hey CT,

I was going to respond with every body has access to illegal bowling balls, but we also have access to the drugs. So, can't even say that the illegal bowling balls will put a bigger smile on your dial.

So maybe the slogan should be "Bowling, messengers on drugs"

I believe the reason bowling is so hard to promote is that it seen as a social activity by both most bowlers who are part time and centres who need the social bowlers to survive.
As for the illegal ball thing I for one are over this, Bowling has to move forward ALL other sports have done so, some examples are:
Golf: The modern golf ball goes further and straighter than ever before especially if its punished with the modern driver that has a head on it bigger than a sponge cake
Tennis: The modern tennis racket is 33% bigger and has more power and less area for error
Cricket: Cricket bats are thicker but modern technology can make them lighter
Cars: Cars are lighter more powerful and can be tuned by gps during the day to keep them running at optimal performance
Swimming: Swim suits enough said

So I will keep buying bowling balls that are available at the time but I suggest that those who don't want to accept the technology continue to use plastic balls or 20 year old bowling balls and see how competitive they are.
Anyway thats my rant because I'm sick of people saying that you buy a bowling and bowl a 300 cause I can't so Im buying the wrong ball obviously

Call me a pessimist or call me a realist, BUT....

There is no such thing as a drug free sport. Why would anyone believe that any sporting activity performed at the highest level to be completely drug free? And that includes bowling my friends..I know that bowlers use an assortment of drugs, before and after competition because I've been there and seen it with my own eyes.

What about pain killers. After bowling 20 odd games in a tournament, the body needs a bit of pain relief when u get older.

The one thing bowling has that no other sport has is that everyne can be included, no skill level to start - anyone can get a strike, no embarrassing outfits to wear, and no one misses out - there isn't a disability that cant be catered for. I would reckon a collage style approach depicting people missing out elsewhere (for whatever reason - too small for basketball, too slow for soccer, too weak for weightlifting, too big for a swimsuit etc) then finding themselves in a bowling league with a caption or series of captions about being in "The game"

The one thing bowling does not have that these other popular sports have, is ability to interest people to watch it.
No fans equates to no recognition of the skill involved even at the lowest levels of a sport.

Perhaps I'm wrong about what is the correct action to fix this, I am certain I'm correct about what causes the eternal problems bowling the "sport" has encountered for 100yrs.
I have known good bowlers who's family and friends do not recognize what they do as a sport, merely a passtime.
If you cant solve that, you can never hope to make the sport popular.

Football is popular, not because everyone is capable of playing it, its popular because you can go and watch a match, it's exciting and lots of other people are at the stadium also. Thats where the respect and adulation stem from.

If you had a "show" that people wanted to come and spectate, you give Promoters at all levels something to generate income from. If you do that, you will change bowling into a legitimate sport

WOW, i started this thread in a light humoured manner, with the thought of creating some fun slogans and to get people to think about what they LOVE about the sport.

What did we get, a few good thought, followed by bowling is the worst thing in the world due to equipment, the people involved and the very fact that it is simply not a good sport watch.

Yep, i see the problem with bowling and why it is were it is! It would appear that a high percentage of bowlers don't even have a good word for their sport. Sad state really.

Well, when it is gone, there will be some cheap lanes to buy and i can setup a two or four lane centre at home to enjoy my sport when i please.

Now were did i put those razor blades?

As I said. You can't have fun here John. It is frowned upon. You dope!

Jim can I leave the corner please?

As I said. You can't have fun here John. It is frowned upon. You dope!

Jim can I leave the corner please?

Oh, well, having done a reasonable job of straightening John out, I suppose it's time to let you out, but do try to stay out of trouble, and not be naughty.

John - before you build those 2 or 4 lanes, consider moving to the North Coast. It's a very nice place to live, and none of us would like you to be lonely - out there bowling all on your own.

WOW, i started this thread in a light humoured manner, with the thought of creating some fun slogans and to get people to think about what they LOVE about the sport.

What did we get, a few good thought, followed by bowling is the worst thing in the world due to equipment, the people involved and the very fact that it is simply not a good sport watch.

Yep, i see the problem with bowling and why it is were it is! It would appear that a high percentage of bowlers don't even have a good word for their sport. Sad state really.

Well, when it is gone, there will be some cheap lanes to buy and i can setup a two or four lane centre at home to enjoy my sport when i please.

Now were did i put those razor blades?
I argee mate i offen talk to bowlers and all i hear is wat how bad we are as a sport, but never hear about how to fix it.

I believe we need some out there characters in the sport. Bowling is not fun to watch because it’s just a player against the pins. I think we need some villains and some heroes. We need some
good controversy like between Belmo and Rash. People like to see emotion on the lanes, it helps them feel connected to the sport. Bowling is boring because bowlers are boring. IMAO. (P.s make a stand and Say NO to the high 5)

I believe we need some out there characters in the sport. Bowling is not fun to watch because it’s just a player against the pins. I think we need some villains and some heroes. We need some
good controversy like between Belmo and Rash. People like to see emotion on the lanes, it helps them feel connected to the sport. Bowling is boring because bowlers are boring. IMAO. (P.s make a stand and Say NO to the high 5)

Back
Top Bottom