How Far Is A Game?

jimcross

Has anyone ever measured what distance they travel, when bowling an 'average' game? That is, Approach - Return - and walking between frames?
I think it's likely to be between, say, 150 and 200 metres.
Agree / Disagree?

Yep. Definitely walked further last week than this week!! :)

Therefore, the higher your average, the less you walk!

Ok, in light of comments, I think I underestimated.
How's this? Regardless of the length of YOUR approach, you have to move over all of the approack twice - to get on and off. Say 10 metres. Get to and from approach and between the two lanes, another 10 metres. Total 20 metres. Per ball.

15 to 20 deliveries per game, depending on average score?

Equals between 300 metres and 400 metres. 3 Game League 900 Metres to 1.2 Kl.

Did anyone think they travelled that far? What about a, say, 40 game tournament?

12 to 16 Kilometres ?

plus toilet breaks, smoke breaks, beer runs, counter trips to yell about something, extra meters when riding a HUGE shot.... all adds up!

Don't know the distance but I have worn my polar heart rate monitor before during a tournament, qualifying 10 games and burnt 1839 calories. :)

If you're unfit and bowling a low average, you get to travel further, which makes you fitter. As you get fitter, you are able to bowl better and your average goes up. Because your average is higher, you travel less distance and get less exercise and because you're not as fit because of the lack of exersise, it is harder to bowl well and your average drops.

I don't think 10 metres would really be a realistic distance from players area to your approach stance. probably looking at 5 to 6 metres more likely.

I don't think 10 metres would really be a realistic distance from players area to your approach stance. probably looking at 5 to 6 metres more likely.

Maybe that's right, but you need to get there, then get back to players area, then half the distance to the second lane, and any secondary movement around the players area or after you released the ball.

In case anyone is not feeling a bit tired yet by all this movement, consider this. ( and you'd better check my figures )

While you're doing all this walking around, you get, in 3 games, to lift and carry about 320 to 430Kg between 135 and 180 Metres, and don't think you've finished yet, because..................depending on your style you get to throw or roll that 320 or 430Kg between 945 Metres and 1.26Klm

Time for a drink, anyone?

extra meters when riding a HUGE shot....
After a few drinks some of us are quite happy to ride anything that looks like it will hit the head pin. Having to back peddle around the ball return because you are on the wrong side of it, sure burns those extra calories! Although, after a few more drinks you don't worry about that, you worry about which lane you actually bowled on so you know where to throw the spare shot.
League bowling is fun!

All you need to do is strap a pedometer on to your belt and reset it prior to your first shot.
Not sure how many steps equals meters/kilometers though.

I know I clocked up over 55,000 steps in an 17 hour shift at work one day/night last year, no idea how far that is though.

Yep. Definitely walked further last week than this week!! :)

Therefore, the higher your average, the less you walk!

Using your logic Jason, I probably cover a marathon........................and don't even get me started on the second game !!11!one!1

I can bowl on my own at times during the week (phantom leagues), when I am bowling , I don't take breaks, just keep bowling my 4 games.. By end, I know my heart rate was up, around 100-130's(guessing, but I do have some knowledge in this area), sweat all over T Shirt, and dripping everywhere across face and back of neck. I think that if u bowl 4 games within an hour including 5-10 min practise, then u get quite a workout..

I would be interested if anybody would be interested in looking into heart rate and cals burned during a 3 game set... Anyone up for a challenge..

Recently the 20/20 cricketers had heart rate monitors on them, very interesting hopefully people can appreciate how fit haddin and ALL keepers have to be.. Its also funny looking at important moments in a game/innings where pressure and tension are both added, then watch their heart rate pick up..

After a few drinks some of us are quite happy to ride anything that looks like it will hit the head pin. Having to back peddle around the ball return because you are on the wrong side of it, sure burns those extra calories! Although, after a few more drinks you don't worry about that, you worry about which lane you actually bowled on so you know where to throw the spare shot.
League bowling is fun!
dunno about drunk i can think of one hack who used to live in queensland and used to make up numbers in tournaments who would ride anything near the headpin and he was sober ;)

I can bowl on my own at times during the week (phantom leagues), when I am bowling , I don't take breaks, just keep bowling my 4 games.. By end, I know my heart rate was up, around 100-130's(guessing, but I do have some knowledge in this area), sweat all over T Shirt, and dripping everywhere across face and back of neck. I think that if u bowl 4 games within an hour including 5-10 min practise, then u get quite a workout..

I would be interested if anybody would be interested in looking into heart rate and cals burned during a 3 game set... Anyone up for a challenge..

Recently the 20/20 cricketers had heart rate monitors on them, very interesting hopefully people can appreciate how fit haddin and ALL keepers have to be.. Its also funny looking at important moments in a game/innings where pressure and tension are both added, then watch their heart rate pick up..

lordofthepins --- Yes, it would be interesting to know some FACTS. The funnys are entertaining, but the facts might actually be useful.

Maybe for someone, at some time, to use when trying to promote Tenpin as a sport - again - maybe - hopefully??? - Anybody out there? TBA ? Anyone?

I've always been of the view that the promotion of the FUN + Entertainment part of Tenpin, whilst legitimate, was not balanced with promotion as a sport, and coincided with it's slow, steady, decline. It stopped getting media coverage - Did we stop worrying about media releases? The sports media will only chase something already high profile - or sensational - maybe we can arrange a scandal or two? Hot and sweaty is a good start, surely ?Volunteers, anyone?

Maybe I should get my brother in law to read this post, he doesn't concider bowling a sport and only lazy fat people do it. His words not mine, in fact I dared him to bowl 6 games straight and not feel tired. I doubt he'd last 3.

Back
Top Bottom