Give Grand Seniors a Fair Go!

Alberto
These events are OPEN scratch events for the best bowlers. Handicap on ability does not come into it we are discussing handicap on age only

I think you missed my point Steve.
You are a seasoned bowler who has bowled for many years and are capable of bowling well over a 200 average.
Why is it fair that you get handicap because you are over 60 when I struggle to average 190+, this just widens the gap and does not seem fair to me.

Hi Brian/Animal/Carol
If the 2016 QLD Seniors Classic is going to introduce handicap for bowlers over 60 you will lose numbers in the tournament I know many bowler who will not bowl in a tournament with handicap I for one would not bowl. I believe that national ranked tournament should never have handicap and should be scratch tournaments as far as grand seniors being hard done over the last 3 years in national ranked events that have not had a grand seniors section their has been a number of tournaments won by grand senior which include Steve Bell, Kevin Webb, Michael Kennedy, Greg Williams Bob Whybrow and I'm sure there are other winners all these bowler averaged 225 to 242 to win and if these class bowlers were to receive handicap it would be wrong and it would diminish bowler participation in national ranked events.

Mario Cordedda

Last edited:
Exactly my point Mario, why do these bowlers need handicap when they already average so high it is not fair on the lesser bowlers who are not 60+.

If the tournaments are classed as scratch that is the way it should be I don't get any handicap when I bowl the AO or Melbourne Cup and have to bowl against the young kids with mega revs because I am over 50...

Exactly what Mario said Handicap in a scratch tournament?
Is that a joke Right
1st it is a Ranking event 2nd It is a Scratch event
Don't do the same mistake that Vic Sport Series done and Don't exist anymore And I m talking the + 8pins bonus to each female!!! You was bowling against the Best feemale bowllers in Vic and they was having 64 pins start Yeah Right @@@

Hi all

When I started this discussion what I was really wanted was that the Grand Seniors got their fair share of the prize fund based on the number of entries. All this talk about handicaps is not what I was originally wanted, what I wanted was separate prize funds. Therefore all you young 50+ bowlers can't complain all the 60+ bowlers winning the events.

Thanks everyone for the feed back, please find attached the proposed 2016 HAMMER QLD SENIORS CLASSIC prize fund:

$14055.00 prize fund paying 1 in 2 entries in 4 divisions
$ 220.00 entry fee (based on 66 men and 24 ladies)
18 games per bowler in 2 appearances.
Bowlers can only cash from 1 prize fund which ever is higher
1 pin h/cap per year over 60 men and ladies (64 is 4 pins per game, 71 is 11 pins per game).

Please give feedback.

Batesy

Attachments

• 2016 Hammer QLD Seniors Classic payout.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 69
Batesy,

I like the fact that you are trying something different. Based on your format you will need to get every bowlers date of birth (even the women). If at the time of the event a bowler is 60 and later during the year he turns 61 does he get the 1pin hcp per game for the event.
This could be the first time bowlers try to put their age UP!!

I am not sure what the answer is but giving an age based bonus is not fair and I have never agreed with it in Asia, as well - Its a terrible idea and I would find it extremely difficult to support it. The men's division generally has enough entries to have a Seniors and a Grand Seniors Prize fund. The ladies entries are not enough to support 2 divisions but having a reasonable Grand Seniors non placing prize fund based on the amount of GS Entries would be more appropriate that having to bowl against a 190 average 65yo and giving them 15 points start every game as a 180 average 60 yo

1 pin h/cap per year over 60 men and ladies (64 is 4 pins per game, 71 is 11 pins per game).

Please give feedback

What a joke, why would I want to start 50pins behind someone who can average 20+ pin better than me a game before a ball is even rolled.
You have lost my entry.

Hi Batsey, you will lose a lot of entries if you bring in this format of pins per age. Ranked events are based on skill, not age. You will lose my entry.

I know I'm only a young bloke and will probably get and ear bashing for commenting, but I'm a bit confused..
Essentially, what you're asking for is more overall prize fund so it can be pushed into a gs division correct? But, with out additional squads, and without raising the entry fee.
Why aren't the tourney organisers thinking about holding said events at a centre that will give you a reasonable game rate instead of the ridiculous game rates some of these events have? It all adds up to top up funds
Without change, sponsorship is all that's left, easier said than done tho

Personally, being that Australia is part of the Asian zone, I think the bonus pins are a great idea, it helps Australia fall in line with the other Asian zone events.. The current 50 something's are going to want it in 10 years when us gen x kids move into seniors

My .2c

All I'm trying to do is give options that the majority are happy with, a lot of sponsorship dollars and time and effort go into these events and we want everyone who invests their time and money into coming, which we appreciate, the best possible format and prize fund.

So let me try and understand all this, I think some want a GS prize fund which will be a smaller prize fund than the Tournament prize fund, so the GS can get money from whichever one they get more from? and the under 60's can't. Am I understanding this right or not?

I can't see a fair way of doing this except for having 1 prize fund or a age h/cap system.

At the moment we have Juniors 0-18 (18 years), Youth 18-21 ?(3 years), Adult 18-?????? Seniors 50-60 (10 years) and Grand Seniors 60-??????? maybe we need Junior/youth 0-20, Adult 21-40, Seniors 41-60 and Grand Seniors 61-???????? just saying.

Batesy

Batesy

What I originally started out saying is that approx 42% of the male bowlers will be Grand Seniors and 58% Seniors

Like the AO and Campbelltown events there should be 2 completely separate prize funds. One for seniors only with 60% of the prize pool and one for Grands Seniors only with 40% of the prize pool. Unfortunately the women will need to bowl all in one squad as the numbers are two small

What a discussion!!

My 2c worth

I agree with Belly in that grand seniors are growing and need a seperate section.
All sections should be prize fund based upon numbers and divided out equally. If it is all transparent then no one should complain.

I love the fact that the payouts go down a fair percentage, to give the middle section of bowlers a chance to get some money back. A reduction in payouts will definitely demoralise bowlers and therefore numbers will reduce.

David

Back
Top Bottom