Get to know our very own Mike Muir

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Hi Jase,
I think it's a great idea and hope many other bowlers take the opportunity to do the same.

Mike Muir

TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

MM I loved playing footy but wasn't big enough to continue on with it. I just happened to "fall into" bowling and loved it from that moment on and realised I could give it a good crack at a high level.

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

MM I think my first ever game was a huge 33

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

MM When I made my first ever president shield team in 1983.

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were?

MM Definitely had to work very hard at my game to get near the top.

TB Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?

MM My first tournament win was the "Tropical Coast Classic" in Nth QLD in 1987, but my first major tournament win was the South Pacific in 1992

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

MM Absolutely. There's no bigger buzz than winning a tournament no matter how many you've won previously.

TB Now you are a top Australian player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

MM No not at all. Pressure is only what you put on yourself. As long as I reach my goals in each event it doesn't really matter what other people think.

TB It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

MM Yes definitely. I enjoyed my coaching role with the WA president shield team in 1998 and 1999 and got just as much enjoyment from them winning as I would winning my own tournament. I plan on doing alot more coaching once I've finished bowling.

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

MM The South Pacific Classic again as it's one of the most prestigious tournaments on the Australian calendar and Rachuig, but would need the right team of players to win this which is out of my control.

TB Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

MM No, no ambition. Those guys are in a league of their own.

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

MM Yeah, why not? Sounds fun.

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with?

MM Marshall Holman

TB Have you ever thought of a bit of modeling?

MM Ha ha yeah - for my 4 year old son. Definitely not for me

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

MM I wanted to be involved with anything to do with sport.

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?

MM I play as much golf as I can and also enjoy spending time with the family.

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

MM I would say it's an extremely challenging sport that is very difficult to master but is alot of fun. You can also play all year round and get to meet many wonderful people all over the country/world.

TB The sports given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

MM 100% absolutely. I wouldn't trade any of it for the world.

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date?

MM It's hard to choose one highlight as there has been quite a few, but the ones that stand out to me are:
- Bronze medal at the 1998 Commonwealth Games
- FIQ Aussie rep in 1996, 1998, 2000 and 2003 picking up 2 silver medals and a bronze along the way.
- South Pacific victories in 1992 and 2001 and
- Melbourne Cup win in 1995.

TB Knickers, G-string or Flap in the breeze.

MM Knickers for comfort factor .

TB Who has been your driving force in your career

- Johnny Kim - the first coach who helped change my game around and helped me become competitive.
- Ken Thompson - another great coach who has helped me in the more recent years.
- My wife Bonita and son Jacob.

Thanks for talking to us, next time we do this it will be in the USA in your Hotel room traveling across America on the pro tour we hope. Watch out for TotalBowlings next interview.

Thanks again mate for the opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom