Talking with the great Terry Wenban

Jase

Admin
Staff member
TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

TW My parents said I had to get out of the house and take up something. My mother was a manager at Rushcutter Bowl, so I took up bowling and found I was good at it.

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

TW 123 I think from memory.

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

TW When i was very young, about 14 I had no one to bowl and wanted to enter adult events but wasn't allowed as they would ruin business for the bowl.

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were?

TW A bit of both. I was never a real pacticer, but never stopped thinking about the game and stayed very fit. I practiced enough though, bowling every day during school holidays

TB Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?

TW My first National event was at age 9, I shot 340 for two games in National Telephonic event across the country, 150 and 190.

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

TW Junior's was not like it is today, there was nothing. You could not bowl both back then, you had to choose which to bowl in. I bought an Adult card when I was 16 and subbed in Adult leagues for two years before I could enter tournaments. I never got a buzz from bowling juniors at all.
At 17 I could bowl the Singapore No Tap; I finished third behind Steve Mackie and Chris Batson. At 18 I ran 5th in my first Australian Open.

It's always a great feeling to win, I am very happy with my recent 3rd place and I actually felt like I used to for a few games, it was really good.

TB Now you are a top Australian player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

TW
I am too old to worry about that anymore, but Ronnie's comment the other week was very special.
It has both pluses and minuses, it's hard to be good and not become arrogant about it, I know I could have handled it better but it also motivated me to be the best I can be.

TB It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

TW I have enough trouble helping adults.

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

TW Any major tournament ... I'm not picky.

TB Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

TW They have just started a Generations Tour, love to take some long service and have a go for few months. It might get me on some good golf courses.

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

TW Sounds funky ... your kidding me.

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with.

TW Butch Soper, Dave Davis....

TB You are a very handsome Man ever thought of a bit of modeling?

TW You what??

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

TW I didn't know I had a choice. I had children at 19 and just got on with paying the bills. It has only been recently that I found out I had a choice and love what I do right now.

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?

TW Drink, work, play golf, surf, go on holidays....

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

TW You can have a life that would be a lot of fun ... there are some great people in bowling.

TB The sports given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

TW Bowling has been worth it because it made me who I am today. I found I did have a choice about my life and that I was very capable at what I chose to do. Having said that, get an education as well as bowl you will make more money and it will open more doors.

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date?

TW Goodness, winning so many events and getting a press pass to the 1987 US Open Golf Tournament in San Francisco. Got to talk to all the greats ...

TB Boxes or briefs or free for all...

TW Briefs

TB Who has been your driving force in your career

TW
Unfortunately Me, I would love to say someone but I can't. I was very much alone when bowling.

Oh my god, one of my stupid comments had some effect on that Terry Who bloke! I could never bowl again and be a happy man! ;)

On a serious note you seem to handle yourself pretty well as far as im concerned mate! Keep up the good work champ!

Ronnie

Back
Top Bottom