10 Minutes with the sheep handler from New Zealand. Jason Waters

Jase

Admin
Staff member
TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

JW Well, I was pretty good at basketball until I stopped growing. So Bowling seemed a good option.

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

JW My first game must have been when I was like 4 or 5 so I’ll take a stab........31?? I remember my average in my first season of league was like 104 when I was 13.

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

JW My mum always told me that I was special , I’m still trying to figure out the talent part.

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were ?

JW I think the work ethic and hard work has played a bigger part than "natural talent"

TB Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?

JW The first national level event that I won was The Trans Auckland Cup when I was 19. It was pretty cool after finishing 2nd a few times.

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

JW I think it is different, when I was young I would bowl and didn't really know what was going on so the pressure wasn't the same. Now you know you have to throw good shots to win, so when I know I have to throw a strike to win an event the buzz is greater.

TB Now you are a top New Zealand player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

JW I go out and bowl my own game. Bowling has enough distractions without worrying what others think.

TB It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

JW Yes. I would like to give some of the young kids the solid grounding they need to become better bowlers, just like I had when I was young.

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

JW The National Championships in NZ, a Major Australian Event and if I stick with it a World Title.

TB Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

JW No, I don't think so. It's a tough lifestyle.

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

JW Maybe when I win that World Title!

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport.
Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with.

JW It would have to be a great Rugby Player like All Black Captain Richie McCaw. I am sure he can knock down a few pins!

TB You are a very handsome Man ever thought of a bit of modeling?

JW I don't think I would make much money! I am open to offers though

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

JW I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up. I guess as long as i'm happy and good at doing whatever I do I don't really mind.

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?

JW Enjoy the company of friends, have a laugh, watch the All Blacks take care of the Wallabies!

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

JW It's fun, with friends having a beer, Bowling league, winning tournaments or traveling the world....IT's FUN

TB The sports given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

JW You cannot put a price on meeting new friends, traveling to some crazy places and having a great time. I met my partner Paula through Bowling, so being involved with bowling has paid for itself already!

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date?

JW Defending my title as World Cup Representative last month, it was an unbelievable feeling!

TB Boxers or briefs or free for all...

JW Boxers, everyday. Maybe let it loose on the weekend

TB Who has been your driving force in your career

JW There has been a few....My Coaches Baz Lynch, Ron Ferguson and Mike Moore. My Parents, Ian and Alison. And my past and present employers for supporting me and giving me all the time off work that I need.

Thanks for talking to us next time we do this it will be in the USA in your Hotel room traveling across America on the pro tour we hope. Watch out for TotalBowlings next interview.

Attachments

• jason_waters.jpg
    jason_waters.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 154
Back
Top Bottom