3 Times Australian Masters winner Ashley Riley

Jase

Admin
Staff member
TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

AR I was very sporty when i was young, played football, basketball among others and was ok but took a liking to bowling when the local centre opened because it was exciting and new. Also size didn't matter.

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

AR Long time ago now but probably not much. Remember my first league day, 85, 89, and 154. Got my 150 patch.

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

AR I'm not sure i have any special talent for it, i think it's more a sport where if you put in a lot of time, and money then you can achieve good things and i think i probably realised i could do quite well about 16-17.

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were?

AR Certainly a bit of both. As i said i played a lot of sport so i was competitive and had good hand eye coordination but i worked incredibly hard at bowling when i was younger, usually bowling 7 days a week and spending every cent i had.

TB Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?

AR North West Tasmania junior masters, 213 ave. Home centre, remembers it well.

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?
AR Definitely. Probably more sometimes because you appreciate wins more as you get older. As the saying goes "winning never gets old."

TB Now you are a top Australian player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

AR Not usually. If you're bowling well its nice having people watch but if you're not it'd be nice to hide somewhere.

TB
It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

AR My brother is the coach in the family is incredibly committed at that. I see myself more as a mentor to some of the juniors, helping out with advice as well as line and ball selection etc. For them to be able to talk to someone that has achieved good results is good for them and makes me feel good too. Win/win situation.

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

AR Rachuig, Rachuig, Rachuig. To be part of a winning team would mean the world to me; I couldn't put it into words.

TB Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

AR No. Maybe 12-15 years ago but they are just on a whole different level. I hope someone like Belmo gives it a serious crack in the coming years, he's certainly capable.

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

AR Sounds like a fun idea, why not.

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with.

AR Australia's super star cricketer and fellow Tassie boy Ricky Ponting, or Bec Hewitt (Don't tell Jackie).

TB You are a very handsome Man ever thought of a bit of modeling?

AR Surprisingly haven't had any offers this week so might just have to keep it to Rachuig trips.

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

AR Nothing special from memory, just to be happy, and that's still the aim.

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?

AR I'm a keen spectator at many sports, enjoy being with Jackie, my family and close friends, but more than anything i love spending time with my 22 month old niece Brooke. If i have a bad day she still loves me and puts a smile on my face, as do my niece Tayla and nephew Jordan. Families are everything.

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

AR
It's suitable for all ages and all sizes, you can take it as serious as you want or don't want, it's great socially and physically.

TB The sports given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

AR Most definately. I've been incredibly lucky to have traveled to some great places and met super people both overseas and home, many that will remain lifetime friends. And I've been fortunate enough to have some success along the way.

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date?

AR Many. Playing for Australia. was a dream come true, especially winning 4 gold medals. Winning 3 Australian. masters titles was special, each one for different reasons. Last years sticks out because of where i was personally a few years beforehand. That win was a reward for the people around me that always believed in me.

TB Boxes or briefs or free for all...
AR Any of the above depends on the mood!!!!

TB Who has been your driving force in your career

AR Certainly my family have been the major influence, always giving support, coaching etc. Each time i have success it's a team effort.

TB Thanks for talking to us Ash, Watch out for TotalBowlings next interview.

AR
No problem Jase, appreciate the offer and keep up the terrific work with total bowling.

Back
Top Bottom