Taking time out with Purvis Granger.

Kellie

Facebook Rocks
TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

PG I was good in baseball but i relized i could bowl by myself and i really liked it better than baseball.

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

PG That was a long time ago 35 years ago I dont remember but i do remember throwing the ball with 2 hands and running down the lanes to stop it from going in the gutter hehe

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

PG I was 15 years old and i started working at the bowling center and I was able to practice for free and in that summer in 3 months my average went from 165-190

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were ?

PG I have good eye hand coordination but i had to work hard at it also. But i was very talented and was able to pick up sports very easy. I really use to bowl every single day when i was younger you couldnt keep me off the lanes.

TB Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?

PG It was and easter tournament and i was 12 years old I still got the trophy at home its something i will never give up!

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

PG Yes the buzz is even better its more like and emoutional high. I still visulize winning every tournament i bowl in. Winning never gets old!

TB Now you are a top world class player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

PG I love the crowds i love performing in front of them. i was giving the talent to be one of the best at it and i like to share the knowldge with everyone i meet

TB It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners.Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

PG I think i will allways be coaching and be in the bowling industry. I was the head coach from Hong Kong from 1997-2001 then philippines from 2001-2005. Theres no greater feeling then seeing someone you helped win just seeing there happeness is such a wonderful feeling

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

PG Everyone I bowl in..hehe although its not possible.I would love to be back on tour and win a PBA event i have 2-2nd place finishes

TB Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

PG I was on tour full-time from 1986-1992 i will try to make a come back next year in the tour trails..

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

PG Hell Yes why not that would be so cool

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with.

PG I would love to bowl with the rock group AC/DC i was a big fan of them when i was younger. I would also like to meet Richard Bronson cause he has lots of $$$ and that way he could influeance alot of big companies to help bowling

TB You are a very handsome Man ever thought of a bit of modeling?

PG HaHa are you kidding....yeah right I could be a model for Fosters Beer. With my beer Belly

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

PG Rich and Famous.. Just joking about the but i always wanted to be famous plus as a kid i wanted to be a Fireman

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?

PG Play Golf, go clubbing,listen to music, playing with my dog,drinking a few pints with friends, swimming anything out doors love the sun and beach..

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

PG Try it you may like it. Plus its good excersised and its a great way to meet and make friends all over the world.

TB The sports given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

PG YES its been more than worth it. I would have never dreamed it would have been this good for me! thats why i try to give people knowledge as i been giving such a wonderful life from God

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date.

PG Bowling in the PBA for 8 years and having a 300-300 tie againgst Norm Duke in Las vegas in 1997. There must have been 2000 people watching us.

TB Boxes or briefs or free for all...

PG Boxers at night breif when bowling and free for all when hhmmm????

TB Who has been your driving force in your career.

PG My Parents they allways was supportive of me. all thought they didnt get to watch me much but they knew i loved it. I have had so many people help me that i could not even begin to thank them all.

Back
Top Bottom