The left handed Steve Lovell (Lovey)

Kellie

Facebook Rocks
TB So of all the sports you could have done as a youngster, why Tenpin Bowling?

SL Well it started at school.I was in the first 15 Rugby. Play was postponed due to rain.,so they said we could go Bowling or Basketball. I took Bowling.

TB What was your first game as a youngster?

SL I think it was 72

TB How long was it before you realised you were special and had a real talent for the sport.

SL I was pretty good at all ball sports.

TB Some people really have to work at bowling to become talented junior players and others seem to be born with good hand eye coordination which do you think you were ?

SL Hand eye co-ordination, Shame I can only see out of 1 eye.

TB Which was the first tournament you won as an individual?

SL Newcastle Cup in 79

TB Do you still get the same buzz winning an event as you did when in junior bowling?

SL I really didnt win much in juniors, I started back bowling when I was about 22.That was when I came back from the USA with quite a few aussie bowlers. We were at **** Webers Lanes getting taught by a 17 year old kid named Pete Weber.It was fantastic

TB Now you are a top Australian player and one people keep their eye on in events, does the pressure of being who you are to some people affect you in any way.

SL No not at all, they dont watch me any more, it the young blokes they watch.

TB It’s not known too much but you do a lot within tenpin bowling to help raise the profile of the sport and you also coach beginners. Is coaching something you think you will do more of in the future.

SL I'm mainly good with the basics. I have enough trouble with my own game.

TB What tournament do you still want to win the most?

SL SA CUP:

TB Having played at the highest levels already do you have ambition’s to take it further say maybe the USA Professional bowlers tour or PBA as its known in America.

SL Seniors PBA Tour would be good. Alot of hard work:

TB Would you consider being shrunk into a mobile phone game or a next generation online game?

SL Yeh, the game would be called The Lovey Shuffel

TB An idea is to have a Pro celebrity Bowler showdown on TV to raise the profile of tenpin bowling and to make Australians aware that we are world leaders in the sport. Who if you had a choice would you love to bowl with.

SL Liz Hayes, she interviewed me once on the Today Show, it was live & I crapped myself.

TB You are a very handsome Man ever thought of a bit of modeling?

SL Get real, the only thing I would be modeling is knee guards:

TB Besides bowling what did you want to be when you were growing up?

SL To play Rugby Union for Australia:

TB What do you do outside the sport for fun?

SL Play golf ( right handed ) Sailing, Watching the races.

TB If you were to tell anyone why should they tenpin bowl what would you say?

SL How much fun it is, meeting people, travelling the world

TB The sport’s given you some good friends and let you travel the world, would you say it’s been worth it?

SL For sure, I still keep in contact with a lot of people i have meet:

TB What would be the highlight of your career to date.

SL Winning Gold in the 82 Asian Zone Masters. My first trip with an Australian team.Plus we won a lot of money.Didn't realise Ron Spiteri bet a lot on me with some guy from Singapore.Lucky I won, he had no money to cover the bet.

TB Boxers or briefs or free for all...

SL Why you ask:;)

TB Who has been your driving force in your career

SL To start with Steve Mackie.Never charged me for a game at St Leonards. Chris Batson helped me heaps. Did all my drilling, and naturally my great sponsers Steve Henley & Ron Bickerstaff from Brunswick, very lucky to have those guys in my corner all these years.

Back
Top Bottom