G'day From an Oldie!

Hasbeen

Hi Everyone.
Just a quick hello from an oldie with many good memories of bygone years.
I started out as a bright -eyed youngster in 1962 at the Newcastle Bowl.
Luckily, I got involved with a great group of friends (Donnie Hudson being paramount) and began my bowling life.
In the following years I joined the Coca-Cola juniors and as part of the Newcastle team enjoyed many head-to -head confrontations with our arch-enemies the St Leonards juniors who included Steve Mackie -Johnny Everson and Bruce Peel.
After winning the Newcastle masters I was lucky enough to win the Newcastle slot as a semi-Finalist in the first ever South Pacific championship in 1965 ? (I think)--my memory is not as it used to be.:)
Anyways-I DO remember coming 3rd in the "Rick Hall Invitational" that was held at Hornsby bowl soon after, in order to give Rick (who won the South Pacific tournament) some practice before going overseas.
I often wonder what happened to some of the friends from that era that I got to know and respect--Lucky Sottovia, Tony Plenca, Gary Burling come to mind.

Hope everyone who still enjoys the game has a great time and I wish all the best to y'all for the coming festive season.

Brendan Nolan.

Hey - Did you know Peter Brierley ?

Yep--I remember Peter.
He was Frank and Eunice's young son.
I remember him as a bright-eyed young bowler.
Quite a good one as I recall.
His Mum was a dedicated official of the NDTBA
and Frank his Dad was a true gentleman.

See you live in Rous. I live in Ballina. Bowled in early 1960's. Worked at "Totem' Bowl at Balgowlah, from it's opening for a couple years. Peter had the Bowl in Lismore until about 4 years ago. Went back to Newcastle area to look after his Mum. Good bowler, bowled a number of 300s when I knew him. I bowl 2 leagues at Ballina. Why don't you bowl now ? Or do you>

See you live in Rous. I live in Ballina. Bowled in early 1960's. Worked at "Totem' Bowl at Balgowlah, from it's opening for a couple years. Peter had the Bowl in Lismore until about 4 years ago. Went back to Newcastle area to look after his Mum. Good bowler, bowled a number of 300s when I knew him. I bowl 2 leagues at Ballina. Why don't you bowl now ? Or do you>

The last time I picked up a bowling ball was in the early 90's in Canberra when I lived down there.
I got rid of my trusty AMF "Magic Line" ball when I left in '94.

I sometimes miss the social aspect of bowling, but unfortunately my Macadamia farm keeps me busy, and the old back isn't what it used to be.

I might pop down to ballina for an occasional game in the future, but my centre of gravity has changed dramatically in the past 10 years--so I don't know how I'll go.:D:D

Hello Brendan, I bowled on the Olympic Bowl Mayfield team in that same Coca Cola league, but must admit that we were a poor second string Newcastle team to Newcastle Bowl (although Stan Topic held his own against Donnie Hudson on many occasions). My memory is failing me on the rest of your team, I think Pat O'Brien was one but that's all I can think of. I actually have a photo somewhere of the entire travelling league that I found when I cleaned things out of my Dad's house after he passed away in 1998, I'll have to go look for it. I had actually started bowling in the Newcastle Bowl junior league but switched to Mayfield after it opened as it was closer to home.

Peter Zambelis posts on this site and may know what became of some of the guys you mentioned. I played in an adults league at Mayfield with my Dad and also looked up to Lucky and Tony, as well as Malcolm Horsley.

I have lived in the US since 1980 and took the game up again in 2002 after more than 24years away from it and am thoroughly enjoying it.

David Whitten (if you don't remember me you probably remember my Dad Reg)

Brendan, I just remembered one othe player on the Newcastle Bowl team in the Coca Cola Juniopr Travelling league back in those days, Cookie (Robert? Cook). Did you stay in touch with them all?

David Whitten (if you don't remember me you probably remember my Dad Reg)

Hi David,
Sure is good to hear from you--I remember your Dad well - as a matter of fact I am still wearing the Seiko watch I bought from him, and it still works a treat.
I read of his passing (he was overseas as I recall) with sadness , but he was a nice bloke and is remembered with fondness.
The Olympic Bowl vs Newcastle Bowl rivalry was a thing to behold eh !:D
Lucky Sottovia is still around I believe.
Apart from Pat O'Brien, I have lost contact with the other Juniors.
Cookie (Robert Cook) went to WA I believe, Pat is still driving cabs in Newcastle,
Donnie died of course many years ago.
I last caught up with Peter Zambelis during the south pacific championships in Canberra in the early 90's, - he was part of our group as well.

Brendan, Steve Mackie is still involved in Bowling in Albaquerque New Mexico.

willey

Thanks for the Info,
Whatever he's doing - I'm sure he will still be good at it.
He not only was a good bowler--he also had a good business head.

Brendan,

Yes, Dad was in the immigration line at Hong Kong airport when he had the heart attack that took him. He had been to visit me a few weeks beforehand on his way to Switzerland and was on his way home.

That was quite a rivalry between Mayfield and Newcastle, I was surprised when I was first back in Newcastle in 1977 to see that the old Newcastle Bowl building had been turned into a Post Office!

If I can track down the photo of the Coca Cola juniors from way back when I'll scan it and drop you a copy via e-mail.

Cheers,

David, you would be more surprised to find that the Old Building has been knocked down and is now a McDonalds!

willey

Back
Top Bottom