SOUTH PACIFIC CLASSIC 2001

Graham

Staff member
SOUTH PACIFIC CLASSIC 2001
WINNERS QUALIFY FOR BOWLING WORLD CUP IN THAILAND

Over $40,000 in cash and prizes, and the right to represent Australia at the prestigious Bowling World Cup proved a great incentive for competitors in this year’s South Pacific Classic. Now in its 37th year, the South Pacific Classic is one of the major tournaments on the Australian circuit and the champion’s title was hotly contested by bowlers from Japan, New Zealand, the United States and more than 100 of Australia’s top athletes.

Victorious in the Women’s division, Ann Maree Putney from Newcastle, New South Wales showed the form with which she had won last year’s event. With a 207.8 average, she edged out a strong challenge from 21 year-old Victorian, Natalie Shelley who finished with a 206.7 average. Fellow Newcastle bowler and former World Cup champion Amanda Bradley was a close third on 206.0.

Putney’s back to back win will provide a chance for her to improve on her 4th place finishes in previous Bowling World Cup outings in 1997 and 2000. “I knew (today’s final) was not going to be easy….I was so far ahead last year, but this year it was very close” said Putney after her win this afternoon.

The Men’s division was won in style by Perth’s Michael Muir, finishing with an impressive 279 score in the 15th game of matchplay and a 221.9 average. Muir overcame a strong challenge from defending champion Bruno Maglieri from South Australia who finished with a 219.1 average, and Queensland’s Carl Bottomley in third place on 217.7. A medallist at the 1998 Commonwealth Games, Muir has returned to tournament competition with a vengeance in recent months. Today’s win, and the Melbourne Cup title in June, has also set him on a firm path to achieving his goal of selection for Australia’s team to bowl in next year’s FIQ/WTBA Asian Zone Championships in Hong Kong.

Like Putney, Muir has previously represented Australia at the Bowling World Cup – in 1992, in France. Muir has been nominated as Captain of the West Australia team for the forthcoming National Championships in Canberra and following today’s win both Putney and Muir will fly to Thailand for the World cup immediately after the conclusion of the three-day Interstate Teams event in November.

The Bowling World Cup, founded by AMF Bowling Inc., is the largest annual international sports competition in the world in terms of number of participating countries. A record 88 countries, and 155 men and women athletes, competed last year in Portugal. Organisers anticipate another record-breaking participation for this year’s event, to be staged at the state of the art PS Bowl in the Thai beach resort of Pattaya between 4-10 November.
ends

For further information, or digital pics please contact TBA Media Director, Lynne Clay on 0419 444 280
or email [email protected]

Congrats to Track Staffer, Michael Muir on his win, using the Heat 2 Pearl (available now in a pro shop near you). Also congrats to Ann Marie, another tournament, another win, perhaps she should be joining Cara and Maxine in the states? Anyway, great win to both bowlers, well deserved.

George

That guy can bowl. 2 SPC's, 2 Melbourne cups, Asia Pacific Tournament of Champions, Village Open, Rosemount Cup, 5th in World Cup, FIQ. I'm sure this list of honours will get longer in the next few years.

Well Congratulations to Anne on another fine performance she is a true champion

An to my long time Friend Michael Muir, well Buddy you did again, I was there to watch ur first SPC victory in Canberra in 1992 and we all know what sort of a week that was, just a little said I wasnt there to catch that one

Good Luck to you both in Thailand and remember to take a 11lb Convential just in case...lol

icon_rolleyes.gif

Go the Green n Gold

GIDDY UP!!!!!

Well Done, Ann Maree Putney we are all proud of your acheivements and dedication to our sport, keep up the good work and do us proud. You will know who I am from GB.
icon_biggrin.gif

To me ol mate Mike Muir. Well done on another fantastic performance from all of us over here in the west. You have now joined the elite group of multiple SPC winners. I think there is only 4 of them. Well done to Ann-Marie aswell great effort. Good luck at the Worlds. Baron
icon_wink.gif

Congratulations go to Michael Muir and Ann Maree Putney for winning their divisions of the SPC!!
icon_smile.gif

Also congratulations to a fellow junior and great mate Michael Zentveld.... u bowled great... cya on saturday!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom