Fairness of Leagues

Should Bowling centre employees be allowed to bowl cash leagues in their own centre?

• Yes

Votes: 140 89.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 10.8%

• Total voters
I think they should be allowed to bowl, as long as they don't change their lane schedule to suit them...

As mentioned earlier. The Coke competitions mentioned are pure luck. Bowling has a skill level always involved. So why not?? Come one, come all!

Later Da Cowman!

As mentioned earlier. The Coke competitions mentioned are pure luck. Bowling has a skill level always involved. So why not?? Come one, come all!

Later Da Cowman!

Thats obviously why all employees of these companys that run these national competitions are banned from entering. Stops any chance of something being done inappropriate if 1 of them wins. Could be seen as being rigged.

What is stopping a head tech from bowling and laying down a pattern the he scores well on.

Precisely, as someone mentioned the employees can gain free labels or caps allowing them a massively unfair advantage in the lucky competition.
You oil lanes easy for yourself, you oil it easy for everyone else on the lanes.
You still gotta throw the shots.

Later Da Cowman

Mr Tenpinyo
Are you speaking words from your own mind or has it been clouded by a friend of yours , who's team didn't fair to well .

They should be encouraged to join a league in my opinion.
A little better knowledge of the workings of the game other than just social bowlers and glow zone would be beneficial.
Besides, what would the poor buggers do down here if they wanted to bowl?
AMF Moonah staffer would have to drive 200kms to Launceston or 350kms to Devonport to play, AMF Launceston staffer would have to drive 200kms to Moonah to play or 150kms along the coast to Devonport just to play in league.

I can't say I can see that happening in a great hurry.
You'd just lose more bowlers - we've lost enough as it is.

I think they should be allowed to bowl, as long as they don't change their lane schedule to suit them...

i have a few things to say...

1) with the consistney of the House pattern as animal was saying back in page two, there are just wayyy to many variables involved in oil patterns, as a tech 82-70's running a kegel after converting from a century silver bullet for weeks we had people complaining about shots and bad scores etc.. it was so frusturtaing cause some people dont like to move..!! :mad:.

Head techs should be allowed to bowl in money leauges, as was said its not like they really have an advantage...

back to the topic.. hehe

as rpac said, i was told a story at my centre, a few years back, one of the part owners at the time, in league that night didnt like the condition that was laid and got the tech to come and re oil the pair of lanes that he was on, i mean that was just wrong, cause if wats there is there, and you play on that find a shot and knuckle down!

Matt

Havent really seen a tech that can bowl anyway. After spending 8 hours a day working in a bowling centre why would you want to spend your time off there anyway.

Get a bloody life.

when u have one week where the lanes are quite wet and ppl actually have to be accurate and bowl well to score and suddenly the next week the lanes are so dry that ppl are pulling out plastic and urethane just to be able to score it kinda begs the question of wats goin on...and u cant tell me that aircon and the weather affects the lanes that much...

How come the first thing that people always ask is about the air con and humidity levels? What time of the day do you bowl and is there inconsistant linage before you bowl from week to week after they oil? Say, is it a case of, you bowl at 8.30pm, they oil at 4pm, you have juniors, social and an early league before you? If you do, then good luck getting a consistant pattern each week. But that isn't to say that the techs there didn't do the same things each week.

I agree with Chin, that yeah, after spending 8 hours in the bowl at work during the day, one of the last things that you want to do is come back again when you don't need to, but further to that. I think this topic also puts it in a nutshell. The last thing you want to hear when you are not working and are trying to bowl league is league bowlers always complaining about lanes, pinsetters, the air cons, the approaches etc. If you have a gripe with something, don't piss off somebody that isn't even working, there is less chance of it being taken on board. Or if you have to, warn them what it is about first.

Another variable that could have an effect on scoring is carrydown. If bowlers use similar lines, that part of the lane becomes drier and drier, therefore you must move to counteract the oil being moved further and further down the lane.

I tend to think it is more to do with a bowler than the lane conditions though. Lane technicians may want to put down an easy pattern, but if they did that, everyone would have the same conditions so everyone should score well. It is how the bowler uses the lane that matters.

As an employee of AMF both myself and the wife, we both bowl in money leagues. I am a tech myself and am appalled about this topic. How could any of you suggest that its not right that staff can not bowl in cash leagues. For several reasons

1. The majority of cash leagues have secretaries who check the scores each week and even do their own standing sheets so the scores cant be rigged

2. The lane conditions are set for particular leagues and does not change from week to week unless requested by the committee.

3. As the pattern is the same week to week than every bowler has just as a good chance at learning the pattern as everyone else.

4. We also pay social money and our money is a good as everyone else in the league that is not an employee. And with that why are we not entitled to the prize fund????

5. We know several techs here that bowl in the same league. And two of those are head techs.

I think everyone needs to concentrate on their bowling rather this useless topic cause its wasting every ones time and causing more trouble than the industry needs.

Look, there are many times where you'll get commitee members or centre employees bowling in their leagues. Wether you have a secretary, president, vice-president or whatever, you'll fine 99% of the time they're in the league too. It's not uncommon thats going to happen. As long as they pay their fees and dont BS around by getting 200+ average bowlers as roving reserves and pitting them against you, I dont have a problem with that.
There's a league I bowl in where half the time most bowlers do not show. Problem is, its a guaranteed league and they must pay their FULL fee. The best thing to do is get a reserve in for that paying bowler, its only fair in that way. But for the opponent/s it isnt. But that's getting off topic now...

In the league I mentioned above, there has been ramblings on about one of the employees (or in this case the person running the league) has moved lanes to suit him. Not a good idea when your opponent reads the lane schedule before the match and finds that they're not on the crappy lanes of 23&24 and now have moved to the mpst consistent lanes of 13&14. Makes you wonder when it happens a few times in the season...

I think you would be hard pressed to find an employee of a bowling alley that doesn't bowl... Some are better than others but i don't think they gain an unfair advantage. They still need to bowl to the conditions laid down.
We've heard in most posts the reasons why they can bowl... How about hearing from those that said they shouldn't. I personally can't see any problem.

I think you would be hard pressed to find an employee of a bowling alley that doesn't bowl... Some are better than others but i don't think they gain an unfair advantage. They still need to bowl to the conditions laid down.
We've heard in most posts the reasons why they can bowl... How about hearing from those that said they shouldn't. I personally can't see any problem.

i agree 100%. Good luck trying to find an employee that doesn`t bowl league.The Majority of my friends work at the bowl.. and they still bowl in cash leagues... i really can`t see what all the fuss is about... They are still human.. and more to that, they are still bowlers.. And i think that if management ever asked them to bowl at another centre... it would be wrong

cheers,

well i think tenpinyo poses a good point but also i dont agree with him.. by that i mean i bowl in a centre where the head tech bowls a massively hooking ball such that next to no-one can use his line effectively... now this tech is the only one who knows the password to the oil machines settings... so there always that grey area of disrepute where he could adjust settings to suit himself... say 1 foot shorter oil would pose huge problems for ordinary league bowlers but would suit the techs style... but i do think that they should still be able to bowl... makes u fight for ur wins... if ur wins are handed to u wats the pride in that?

i bowl in a league where the head tech bowls..

and if the techs have any decency at all, they wouldn`t change the pattern just to suit them... It`s just common sense..

Decency, common sense & bowling. Please explain to me where one is relative to any of the other two.

Totally pointless thread.

Seems like we are scapping the bottom of the barrell searching for topics.

well all the tech's must be cheats by the sound of some of these coments.anyway i am a head tech and i bowl in a cash league and i am averaging 215 am i rigging the pattern no because the pattern was set before i started there and has'nt changed since the condition we use is set for everyone also we dont have trophy leagues so am i suposed 2 not bowl. the old saying is a good bowler should b able 2 bowl on any condition that is set.

okay chin..
i get where your comming from..
but you would think that the techs wouldnt do that..
im pretty sure... well you would think that they would want a fair game just like anyone else... wouldnt they?

Back
Top Bottom