Fairness of Leagues

Should Bowling centre employees be allowed to bowl cash leagues in their own centre?

• Yes

Votes: 140 89.2%
  • No

Votes: 17 10.8%

• Total voters

tenpinyo

Coke employees cant enter their own competitions...
MTV employees cant enter their own competitions...

Should Bowling Centre employees be allowed to bowl cash leagues in their own centre?

Well i just have a question has there ever been a rule? or anything that Amf Empolyees can't enter there own money leauges, but if not i shouldnt see why not, because what if in your town there is only 1 Amf Centre?
If not you could more then likley bowl at another Amf Centre...

I really don't see why we should do anything to limit league numbers at this point...

Maybe if we had waiting lists out the door for every league we could worry about that sort of thing, but I really think we should be doing everything possible to get as many numbers in leagues.

besides which, there's no real advantage to an AMF employee bowling in a league at a centre they work in...

I know that AMF employees aren't supposed to go into those AMF wide tournament things they (at least used to) do (i.e. the old Hong Kong no-tap tournament).

I think they should be allowed to participate.

Coke employees are allowed to consume their products
MTV employees are allowed to use their services

I think the important thing is that one mustn't work during the event. I'm all for AMF staff bowling in anything that's going, but they shouldn't go behind that counter while an event they're a part of is running, generally speaking. This is what excludes them from those Australia-wide events, the promotion runs for three months then they shouldn't work for those three months if they're going to participate (in my opinion)

But to extend this somewhat, how about the Tournament Director and Committee (of any event)? Personally I try not to participate when I'm running something - I haven't bowled in anything that I've run for a few years now I don't think.

To limit league numbers by excluding people that work in the centre would furthur dwindle the bowler base that we have in our sport.

Any attempt to stop employees from bowling in that centre hurts the sport in spite.

Sure, why not?

I'd imagine if you asked him nicely he'd provide you with the pattern (which ultimately is the only advantage he has, knowing what was put down)

I agree withe JWhitty.

Just because he is the Head Tech doesn't mean he is any more equipped to handle the conditions any better! From previous experience knowing what the pattern is can make it harder to score. I know that even though I was off duty I was always having trouble blocking out everything that related to work whilst I was actually bowling.

Steve ex. Mechanic 82/70's

I think they actually SHOULD bowl just to see the result of their work and see first hand problems or advantages that league bowlers actually put up with week in week out.
The competitions you speak of are promotional competitions where inside information could sway the outcome, bowling league is different where it is a weekly thing, and they have to throw the ball same as us, the only down side could be where the tech "may" have an inclination to "tweek" a pattern to help him a little, but, as in all things we must have a little faith.
To exclude them is saying you are scared of them so I would suggest you see where they are bowling learn from them or increase your mental ability to overcome this hurdle you have placed in front of you.

I can't see why not. I know our head tech doesn't bowl at our centre but just because they oil the lanes can't stop them from bowling in cash leagues and at the moment our house pattern is fair for everyone so power players, strokers and straight bowlers all have a shot which noone can complain of.

Their money is as good as anyone elses. They can also enjoy!!! the trial and tribulations of the game in any league on a weekly basis.

Employees usually can't enter promotional events where chance is a deciding factor (ie a lucky draw, best logo etc) which may be influenced by an employee or family member of an employee.

Bowling certainly is not covered by the description as a game of chance. Although luck (or lack of it) can play a big factor on a game.

Knowledge of lane conditions, experience of possibly being able to practice on lanes during meal breaks etc would not be a great advantage - it still comes down to being able to perform on the lane conditions at the time.

Of course they can!

Sure coke companies can't enter they're competition (and so fourth with other companies) because they are usually a fill in this form/collect this number of caps or lables and send entry forms in. They have access to lables, caps and forms without purchasing the product.

Bowling requires (for most people ;)) some form of skill to win.

as an ex AMF employee im happy to sit back and give everyone a fair go and have a bit of trust that ppl do things fairly for everyone...

but wat if the lanes arent fair to everyone...to hear ppl say that they dont like seeing their balls go straight it kinda begs the question of who the lanes are benefitting...now this is just my opinion and im happy for ppl to tell me im wrong...but after working at both Randwick and Strathfield and watching the diff patterns being developed so that they are fair to everyone...please feel free to flame me and tell me im wrong but im only here to give my opinion which is everyones right...

The lanes are never fair to everyone, some adjust better, or simply are better, at different conditions.

So the guys at Coke make the product the way they like it, and the rest of us have to deal with that. That's the way it is...

At the end of the day (or the start of the league, as the case may be) they're on the same lanes we are and fighting the same battles against the same condition.

I gather you have a specific gripe you're trying to get to, perhaps the head tech at your centre just cashed in a big win on a league? I would suggest the most likely reason for that is he has better access for practice (there anyway, cheaper rates, etc) and thus improves faster than you or I who bowl less frequently. And if the condition suits his shot, more power to him, there's nothing stopping you shooting the same shot. If you're good enough, the playing field is level.

there is no such thing as better access...while yes ppl who work for centres get cheaper rates but if ppl wanna improve then they can go out and do it...im bowling in 2 diff centres atm 4 days a week and at both centres the head techs have provided graphs of the pattern that is being put down therefor giving the bowlers a chance to give their opinion on how the condition is playing and how it can be improved...however as i said...when u have one week where the lanes are quite wet and ppl actually have to be accurate and bowl well to score and suddenly the next week the lanes are so dry that ppl are pulling out plastic and urethane just to be able to score it kinda begs the question of wats goin on...and u cant tell me that aircon and the weather affects the lanes that much...

I bowled in a 10 week Phantom league over the christmas break some years ago. One of the centre staff was also bowling in it. Strange how he ended up disqualified for fudging his scores. 170-180 ave bowler averaging 225+. Was leading the comp when they caught on. Was putting the scores in, never bowled a ball though.

Nearly all companys running competitions, there employees are banned form entering these competitions for the same reasons. Nothing stopping them from using there companys products though.

As tenpinyo stated Coke employees cant enter there own comps. Nothing stopping them drinking Coke though.

Totally irrelavant the comment between Coke employees being able to use there own products & not being able to go in there company competitions.

From week to week, lane conditions will vary according to the weather
outside the building the bowl is housed in. You do not have to change any settings on a machine to get lane condition variance. Unless you can
garauntee the same climatic conditions every week, you are not going to get
exactly the same reactions and lines every week. It really doesn`t matter if
the Head Tech, or any tech for that matter, lays the pattern and then bowls the league or the tournament. We all should be looking at ways to Promote
our wonderful sport, not ways to tear it apart. Posts like this are fragmenting
tenpin bowling and have no real purpose, other than to cause arguments, and
because we are a long time dead, the last thing we need are arguments.
Get out there in your bowling community and do something to improve or promote the sport instead.
Regards
Lawrie ( Animal ) Hill

when u have one week where the lanes are quite wet and ppl actually have to be accurate and bowl well to score and suddenly the next week the lanes are so dry that ppl are pulling out plastic and urethane just to be able to score it kinda begs the question of wats goin on...and u cant tell me that aircon and the weather affects the lanes that much...
That raises an interesting concept, I wonder how consistent league conditions are across this country.

Last year we had wild variation both week-to-week and league-to-league, it just happens. Depends on when they oil, who's been on the lanes, what the weather's like, how the machine's performing, whether they oiled up or down the centre, there's a lot of variables.

I guess what I'm trying to say, without sounding aggressive at all, is that you just gotta "Suck it Up", that's the way this wonderful sport is played.

Back
Top Bottom