Fairlanes City ~ New Team Member

A new Kegel Lane Maintenance Machine will be joing the team at Fairlanes in the near future :D

Manager Sue Maguire is finalising the required paperwork and finer details and we look forward to a commencement date in the near future !!

KEGEL = unrealistic scoring

Why does everyone think that the Kegel oiling machine is good for bowling? It's great for inflated scoring for sure but that's not taking the best interest of our sport to heart...I defy anyone in Australia who uses a Kegel machine, to tell me that they have not used it to raise the scoring level at their centre.

Open your eyes people...higher scoring does NOT mean more bowlers. More scores simply drives more bowlers from the sport. It's a proven fact!

Wayne i hate to disagree!

The last thing this center wants to do is payout money for high scores.
Unfortunately Ball technology today dictates that due to aggressive Bowling Balls more oil is needed, and wick technology cannot handle this.

After all is said and done, are not all bowlers in the League/Tournament bowling on the same condition?

May i ask, have you personally looked at Wickless machine?

I believe next time you are in a center with a Wickless machine you physically look at and ask to be shown what diffrence the wickless machine does compared to old wick technology.

May i also mention, that a lot of time is spent highlighting the aspect of this machine to oil.
What about the back-end? These are the only machines on the market that truly clean a lane effectively each time. They clean with a fresh area of cloth for each lane, diffrent to other automated machines that just drag dirt from the previous lane to the next.

Lets not mention lanes washed with semi-automated machines, where depending on the speed of the operator you hit and miss from lane to lane on the cleanliness of the lanes.

The Kegel machines are accurate from lane to lane with cleaning as well as precise with oiling.

Now is this not we are looking for in our sport - something more accurate, rather than leaving the conditions of the lanes to "Chance" that their might be oil on the lanes or that they might be clean???????

Kegel Machine

Technology is here to stay:

Look at footballs, boots, bowling balls and shoes, golf balls, fishing rods and reels, tennis raquets and balls, golf clubs, the list is endless.

All these sports have changed due to technology.

By using new technology what the Kegel machine can do is place the new oils and varied oil patterns on the lane quickly to match the level of ability of the league that is bowling and their bowling equipment.

As a Fairlanes league bowler I have no doubt that is what will happen at Fairlanes.

Do not assume that the only reason Fairlanes has bought a Kegel is to increase scoring. I know they have had problems with the approaches and conditions for a couple of years now and bowlers (including myself) have been complaining bitterly. The approaches are now better and they are now replacing their ageing oiling machine as well, which by the way is a very expensive thing to do.

I repeat it can only be a positive for all concerned.

Also for the record I know a lot more bowlers that have given up bowling due to cost than all the other reasons combined.

Bowltech...I have seen and used a number of wickless oiling machines and I agree with you that they are presently miles in front of the old oiling machines in term of ability to lay down sufficient amounts of oil as well as the cleaning of such heavy amounts of oil from the back ends.

However..that's not my main concern. My major concern is that the users of the wickless machines will lay down easy patterns for their leagues, thus cheapening the "sport" of bowling in Australia.

League participation has been in a continual decline in America for a number of years now. And since the influx of the "kegel" type lane condioning machine, an even sharper decline has been seen.
So to all you proprietors out there..
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, don't think that higher scores will save your business..cos it just ain't gonna work.

PS..personally, I don't want every lane to react exactly the same. Where's the fun and skill in that?..Next, we'll all be bowling our Nationals in the comfort of our own lounge room..on a computer!

Sandor....get your head out of the sand and look around you. Scoring at centres with Kegel machines has gone up dramatically...And it will go way up at Fairlanes too!

I guess nobody has the integrity to say NO to artificial scoring.

I would have thought Andrew and Sue were smarter than that, but upon seeing the averages at their old and new centres since they purchased the "Kegel", I see that they have fallen into the same trap as many others before them. It's a shame too, because i really want them to succeed. What we are creating, is hundreds of 200 + average league bowlers. League bowlers who don't bowl tournaments and who won't practice after seeing that they don't "need" practice in order to shoot high scores. League bowlers who will whinge at the slightest change to their beloved "shot". And who will soon quit bowling completely, because they have "nowhere to go"
After all, you made them what they are... a 200 average bowler.

Is this really what we want?

Living in the Past

wchester in 30 years of bowling I honestly cannot remember 1 bowler coming up to me and saying:
"this game is too easy, i have done it all, I am sick of all the strikes so I am quitting bowling"

But I do hear the following all the time:

The owner of our centre sux
The manager of our centre sux
The staff at our centre sux
The centre is falling apart
What another new leasee
They don't care about us league bowlers anymore
They have put the price up again, so I am cutting my leagues down
They have put the price up again, so I am quitting
That new ball you sold me won't hook
That new ball you sold me hooks too much
When is that new ball/bag/shoes I order 3 months ago arriving
The machines keep damaging my balls
TBA has lost the plot
Why practice, they don't oil the lanes the same any two days
Why practice at the weekend, they never oil the lanes
The best shot in our bowl is 40miles per hour down the middle with a 14lb plastic ball
I used to enjoy bowling, but it's not fun anymore
I have a sore shoulder/arm/hand from having to overthrow the ball because of the dry lanes
Tournaments are too expensive
I am sick of chasing handicaps in leagues

I can go on forever

Sandor...And if you've been around bowling for 30 years you'll realize that the complainer aren't the ones who quit. The ones who quit bowling don't bother telling you why..they just stop showing up.

Please tell me how having a Kegel Sanction Machine changes any of the bowlers complaints you listed in your post.
Are you denying the fact that bowler participation is in a steep decline and that the new technology hasn't slowed the decline one bit?

As I have stated over and over again in previous posts.. Make me your leader and I'll lead you out of the darkness.

If technology gets us nowhere, maybe Tiger woods should play golf with a caveman club????

Talking of new bowlers and bowlers that leave the sport.

A bowler walks into a pro-shop, buys a new ball, he bowls on the lane and it hooks beautifully into the pocket. Comes in the following week same day & time, bowls nothing but straight balls. He storms out and takes up golf.

WHY? Because their are to many variables in this game! Sanction Technology helps reduce some of these variables.

Thankyou for your positive comments Sandor.

Never at any time have I been sold on the new machine because of the high scoring condition it would provide.....

I feel we will be able to set various patterns with ease to suit all, especially our representative state teams in their quest for perfect pactice.

And to Mr. Chester we certainly do oil on the weekends for practice with 24 lanes available between 9 and 11.

The new team member will be training from Thursday!!!

Sue

with this brand new acquisition, should be good to see what it puts out for gold cup etc. :D

can't wait :)

Sue,

All I want to say, is congratulations and thank you on purchasing a Kegel Lane Machine....

Im sure it was not an over night decision and you have done your home work, as well as some sweet talkin to the main man :wink:

On a lighter note - We have also had Daryl Gould join the team..... With his " Old School" technology Im sure he wont be having any effect on the lane conditons........

Once again " Thank you"

Wayne I think your post was a little harsh on both Fairlanes and Kegel.
I've been bowling for a while now and the most common bowler complaint I ever heard was lack of consistency from one week to the next.
Lets be honest, most of us would be a lot happier bowling on a pair of lanes that were fairly similar to those we bowled on last week, and knowing that we could expect to get the same or a similar condition next week.
Any machine which has the capability of helping out with that surely cannot be blamed for artificial scoring?

Certainly management could manipulate the machine to set an easy condition, is that what you anticipate Fairlanes will do ?

And even if they do, is that so bad? The Friday night oldies get a nice easy condition with a helpful back end, and the scratch singles get something a little tougher.
Horses for courses, we could eventually get to choose the condition for our league and write it into the constitution.

Fantasy ? Maybe now, but that's the way its heading.

I think these machines will serve to increase league numbers not turn bowlers away.

If you are really that serious about high scoring you might consider switching your attention to ball technology. A few restrictions on the equipment would soon see the scoring come back a little.

Rather that, than the continuation of totally inconsistent oiling patterns which in a lot of cases appear to have been applied with a flit gun left over from the sixties.

Just a comment from previous experience. I bowl in league and some tournaments, My house centre doesn't have a kegel machine. I was asked to bowl at a centre which did have kegel technology, and took up the offer, I was bowling two leagues at my house centre and one in the kegel centre per week. I have since quit the kegel centre as the conditions were too easy and predictable, my normal average is 185, my average jumped to 205 in the kegel centre from the first week and ranged from this to 210 over one season. I shot a 900 for 4 and a couple of 700's for 3, neither of which I have done in my years of bowling at my home centre. I have since quit the kegel centre as it was giving me a false sense of my ability. I think it all depends on how the machine is used, and not so much of putting down exactly the same condition week after week as the sport should demand knowledge of how to use equiptment and being able to adjust to conditions set.

All i can say is WOOHOO!!!!!! should be fun to bowl on the oil now... Well Doen fairlanes on a good purchase.

Later

Fairlanes City - new team member

My opinion - I'm 'old' - I like 'easy' nowdays - the new equipment (which I love) really takes it's toll on the body with the ball speed required. Andrew S. has the right ideas re the future of our leagues etc. Caboolture with the Kegel, has the ability to put down whatever is required - the high scoring condition for the Queensland Ladies Classic, a tougher (not tough) condition for the Sponsors League etc. and Jeff Brigg runs 6 Sports Condition Tournaments each year (can be REALLY tough) for those who wish to really test themselves. Co-operation with the centre is great, with a variety of conditions able to be easily achieved for special practice needs.

We can only go forward with the new technology and it up to the centres and the sport itself to adapt to changing needs. The vast number of bowling balls arriving in a procession is certainly not helping those of us who are not sponsored or are cashed out.
More consistent lane conditions for leagues would help that area of our game - especially for those who do not bowl tournaments.

The technology is there - use it to advantage - have Sport Condition leagues and really advertise them as such, have 'easy' league conditions for those of us who are nearly beyond it but just LOVE TO BOWL. Centres with these 'u beaut' models really need to educate their bowlers into the possibilities for their leagues and tournaments so more BOWLERS have input into individual league requirements - eg. age, ability and competition. Bowlers really DO understand their easy centres and also the tough ones and make their choices accordingly...way to go!!

FLOWER

Back
Top Bottom