Ever had an Injury which made you bowl better

finspin

I returned to my league bowling after the Christmas/New Year break with a trapped nerve in my neck causing serious discomfort down my left arm. However I voiced my concern to my fellow team mates as to wether I should be bowling at all. Being right handed I decided to have a go. I bowl a 196 avg. My last three series have been 638 / 694 / 692 (Shame no 700's)

The bone cruncher who has been trying to sort the problem out stated that he was not surprized. He has found Golfers with similar problems have found their game improved.

He puts it down to being afraid of hurting oneself, minimising body movement, slowing down and concentrating a little more ( Is there a lesson to be learnt). I almost walk out the treatment room there and then, taking pain killers and living with the problem.

BEWARE THE INJURED SPORTMAN

Anyone else found this to be true, or similar stories

a long time ago when i was a junior with a temper
i was bowling a inhouse comp on lane 12 in a 12 lane house
i used to bowl around 3 - 5 board then snap at 45 feet
bieng that close to the gutter that night i threw 3 gutters in a row
turned around punched the wall and cracked 3 knuckles
bieng the first game i grabbed a glass drink out of the fridge and held onto it between bowling kept going and bowled over average
after going to the doctors they put a half cast on
and i took it off every week for league
bowling well above average for a while

ps .. now i dont get angry dont punch walls dont kick ball returns
crazy stuff gets you no where

daniel d

yeah l snapped 4 main ligaments in my left ankle in july 2004 which put me out of bowling for a few months. Then come a new year and feb 11th 2005bowled 300.... Have had 290 since then

I used to bowl with a wrist trap for about 10 - 15 years. I had Major wrist problems (rsi) about 2 years ago & pulled out of the SA cup. I almost gave bowling away. I then decide to throw away the wrist trap & strengthen my wrist. Today I feel like a much better bowler, have no wrist/rsi pain. I also have a much better feel on what the lane is doing.

Dave K

damaged the nerve in my pinky finger a few years back, so i cant straighten it out anymore, has a constant curve to it. Adapted and changed to tucked pinky and found i still had all the control, but i could change tilt quite easily and put more side roll on the ball if needed. Made a big difference to my game :)

Came back from bowling after quite a few years off, managed to make it through 2 seasons, now im back on the sidelines waiting for surgery, so i probably wont be bowling for another couple of years due to injury. Definately a case of it not working in your favour :p

On the rare occasions where my thumb lets go i can ignore the pain pretty well which also seems to make me more focused, i sure dont remember it hurting even though 1/2 the callous was hanging off when i almost ran down Trotts at Warnambool a few yr ago!!

This also did happen with myself first I hadn't bowled in a while because i was training for football and going to the gym so I had no time until... I seriously injured my right shoulder forcing me to give up the footy. Then getting back into the swing of things with the bowling. Soon after I sevred a heap of ligaments and the radial artery in my right forearm but we won't talk about how that happened. Anyway after all this my back swing was forced to be shortened which meant more control and my release has improved a bunch also just by how much more relaxed I am, with a few more screws tightened up everything should be good...

Rolled my left ankle (right handed) back in 2003 when i was a junior. Had state masters and the cross road open coming up in consecutive weeks. I couldnt train because the pain was too much, so i spent my time walking slowly along the beach trying to get some sort of strength in my ankle. before the masters started the same week i learnt to bowl by having my back leg staying in the air instead of on the ground and bowled like that for 10 games straight and won it very very easily with a 205 average i think...
Then the week after that still not able to walk properly i came out to the cross road open and shot over 202 average to qualify first and win the step ladder final with a 256 game!
Fighting through the pain has done wonderful things... i would love to hear some of Robert Chinners stories as i know he has had a few moments like this...

Alex

hey alex,

chin has a HEAP of stories he would be willing to share i am sure, just ask him :)

cheers!
martina

oddly enough bowling while pregnant isn't an injury, but it certainly did make me bowl better. i'm normally a 170-ish ave and while bowling right up until i was eight months and three weeks (had to stop due to blood pressure), i got up to 190. couldn't swing the arm accross the body due to the huge belly.

Back
Top Bottom