Bowling with an Injury

I bowled in our league duing the 2002/2003 season with torn cartiledge in my left knee. Everytime I followed through on my shot it hurt like hell (Like my worst enemy was smashing it with a sledge hammer), but we still won the league championship and I picked up Most Improved male Bowler for the season :lol:
When I finally had it fixed, it turns out I had also damaged the cruciate ligament as well, so for the next 6 months I worked on the strength of the knee and made the Vic East Coast side last year.

Just proves with will power, and a bit of denial, you still can bowl injured :p

Umm .. 2003 Devonport masters I bowled with a dislocated right thumb and the ring finger on my right hand was broken (i'm right handed)
Launceston masters 2003 .. Bowled with a broken wrist, torn muscles and tendons ...
Roll offs for 2004 sheild team not long after Launceston masters I bowled and did my arm all over again .. it hurt a little.
What can I say?? I'm stubborn.

hey ya'll
Thanks all for your replies.
I don't feel as bad now bowling with an injury and it just goes to show that pain is relative and that us bolwers must have higher pain thresholds than other pople.
Plus I don't know about other people but i have found it interesting reading about the injuries that people have hit the lanes with, so that has been good and should be kept up (not getting injured of course but sharing the stories is good).
Thanks again all for the reassurance.

I Think In Any Sport There Is Always Goin To Be Injury Involved!.. But I Dislocated My Shoulder And Hurt My Back After Backflipping Into The Pool And Getting My Arm Caught [long stu-pid story lol] .. I Bowled For A Couple Of Weeks With A Very Sore Shoulder..[left shoulder].. And A Sore Back..Which Still Affects Me Today!..Lol Then We Have Other Little Injury's Like Jarred Fingers From Netball Haha..And Sore Knees..God Damn Old Age Look What It's Doing To Me :cry: And I've Only Been Around For 17 Years..Ahhhh..

Mandii..xox

i strained the growin on my sliding leg in the first game of qualifying at teh hobart city masters, hurts a air bit every timje i bowl but im actually doing better then ever with it like that.:)

Buy a cheap pair of shoes if you have to and hack them to pieces to allow for your foot to swell up :)

It really depends on the injury though, if there is any possible long term damage, i would weigh it up and probably think it's not worth continuing. Saying that though, if something went wrong and i was leading a tournament or masters, i think you would have to cart me out in a stretcher :) There is nothing wrong with standing at the foul line and delivering the ball :D

Only things ive played with were, a broken finger (heh, happened due to bowling), i just went 2 lifter sizes up and pulled the finger back 3/8 ", broken little toe, cut the side out, strap the toe up and it was sweet. And a knee, that one was pretty weird, ive got a proper leg brace for it, but i find it's too restrictive. But hey, it got me through 6 months of bowling and nobody knew any different :D

Back
Top Bottom