Bowling with an Injury

J

Jezzaj

Okay here is the deal last week i stupidly dropped a heavy peice of wood on my foot and of course me being me, got a hairline fracture in my right foot.

Those of you that have had a break in the foot know that there is nothing really that can be done about it. It is still sore, slightly swolen and bruised but i can walk on it and most importantly bowl on it like i did tonight so it is not really a big deal to me.

However the people who asked me why i was slightly limping in leauge, were horrorfied to find out i was bowling on a fractured foot and said i was crazy to be bowling. I didn't see the problem as it isn't that painful and it hasn't stopped me from working or doing anything else that I usually do.

So I was just wondering what types of injurys have people have bowled with?

I want to see if i was crazy to bowl or if there are others like me who don't let a little pain get in the way of bowling.

If you're comfortable bowling, then chances are there's nothing wrong with it.

I know if I bowled with a broken right foot, it would be quite painful, but that's just the way my approach is.

I have actually bowled a couple of days after having a nasty prang on my bike, I was having troubles walking & was restricted to a 1 step approach. I've also bowled with a broken thumb. As far as I'm concerned it's a case of mind over matter.

Umm your not alone when you say you don't let a little pain get in the way of bowling. Thing is it cost me a toe. :lol:

I broke my right arm in car accident.

So I bowled the rest of the season left handed.

I bowled for 2 weeks with 2nd degree burns to my wrist. hurt like hell but only being a burn didnt cause any ferther injury than what was already done.

1993 Junior Shield at Frankston I bowled with a Fractured Thumb.

Thumb was twice the size it normally was so with all the swelling the pain was numbed and just had a monster thumb hole drilled out. ( The pain killers helped too :D )

Go Dandy!!!!!!!!

Early in 2003, Ricky Carlos (Brisbane bowler) badly injured his left shoulder, subsequently he bowled with his left arm in a sling.

Fortunately for him, he bowled 300 and both lanes held a different line also.

Two weeks ago, he had the shoulder operated on, and even though he had pre-bowls in for most of his leagues, he has bowled in others in an effort to exercise it and help it get better sooner. Then he can be back to the great game .......OF BOWLING!!!

For some people, it really is mind over matter! Depends on the pain threshold of the person and certainly having a positive attitude helps.

Early in 2003, Ricky Carlos (Brisbane bowler) badly injured his left shoulder, subsequently he bowled with his left arm in a sling.

Two weeks ago, he had the shoulder operated on, and even though he had pre-bowls in for most of his leagues, he has bowled in others in an effort to exercise it and help it get better sooner. Then he can be back to the great game .......OF BOWLING!!!

For some people, it really is mind over matter! Depends on the pain threshold of the person and certainly having a positive attitude helps.

Bowled 6 months with a stuffed wrist (due to tightness in all my left side, upper body muscles). Had to tape it up plenty each time I bowled in order to be able to bowl again another night. The pain is pretty much gone now. :)

The last few weeks have bowled with a severly bruised right ankle (due to hitting it with the ball :oops: )

Also had ongoing niggles in my back, knee (both of them), shoulder, elbow. But the pain is minor and doesn't affect the bowling :D

i constantly bowl with a bad ankle..........and its even worse in rainy wheather.........i just put up with it and wear my ankle gaurd

duff_star said:
i constantly bowl with a bad ankle..........and its even worse in rainy wheather.........i just put up with it and wear my ankle gaurd

Hey just curious as to how the weather affects the condition of your ankle, im interested!

Thanks...

I bowled one week with a busted neck muscle on my right hand side, I think it was. It wasn't so much the pain that was bad (unless I moved it the wrong way) but I had to go around with my head tilted to one side and it put me off my line so badly, I probably shouldn't have bowled. I got a 102-102 draw in the first game, dunno whether to laugh or cry :lol:

Hey micky macca
u ask what the wheather does to it well when i was in yr 2 i was on my trampolene an the bolt went through my knee an u can tour muslces an that an im now almost 16 an some night on really cold wheather i can hardly walk on my left leg cause the wet rainy wheather has somthing to do with it reacting or somthing like that

It always amuses me how people can be so sick or injured that they can't go to work - but they can never miss a night of bowling !! Even if they have to bowl on crutches ...

I fractured my arm and wrist in 3 places the weekend in between the junior Sq roll offs this year, the thursday before the roll offs, 4 days after i fractured it, i had 4 games at redcliffe. A 650 for 4 aint to bad considering, but i didnt bowl for 3 week after that!!!

Well, when you get to my age, you rarely bowl (or do much at all really) without something hurting.

Shoulders, hip, knees, ankles, all have there moment of torment.

But it takes a lot more than a little pain to keep a man down.

When you enjoy the game as much as we all do, you just have to push on regardless.

oy I won junior coke in 97 98 when i was 16 17 cant rember excact but my foot got run over the week before at work and my tickict waz already paid so i went and i won so if u want it bad enough u can do it no matter wat tip always think positive

Back
Top Bottom